cable upgrade for ath-m50x headphones
Jul 23, 2015 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Emmett62

New Head-Fier
currently i have the ath-m50x's and have been "upgrading" it with thicker earpads that are soft and not leather and adding extra padding on the headband and such but i was wondering if their was a decent semi rugged set of cables for them perferably ones that keep the screw on adapter plug similuar to what you can find on amazon just not sold by UNKNOWN- something like this but better  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N0XP2ES?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=AJ2PJNO98VCDO i looked into the fiio option of the cable and it loses the adapter

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 12
I can understand buying different sized or terminated cables to meet various needs.  However, I doubt that upgrading the cable on most any $150-ish can is a cost effective expenditure.  At this level putting that money toward a step up can makes more sense.

While there may be exceptions, my experience thus far is that you will probably not get any or sufficient benefit to justify the money spent until you get to the HD 580/600/650 level.  Even then many cans (including some significantly more expensive than the HD 650) are not improved--and some are degraded--with at least some "upgrade" cables.

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 12
  I can understand buying different sized or terminated cables to meet various needs.  However, I doubt that upgrading the cable on most any $150-ish can is a cost effective expenditure.  At this level putting that money toward a step up can makes more sense.

While there may be exceptions, my experience thus far is that you will probably not get any or sufficient benefit to justify the money spent until you get to the HD 580/600/650 level.  Even then many cans (including some significantly more expensive than the HD 650) are not improved--and some are degraded--with at least some "upgrade" cables.

the only real upgrade im looking for is better cable durability  i already upgraded the headband and earpads and it fits like a dream on my head. it would be kinda dumb in a way to assume a cable would "upgrade" sound on a m50x also i dont really have the money to toss on better cans even though i wish i did. id rather get this http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Technica-ATH-M50x-ATH-M40x-Headphones/dp/B00N0XP2ES/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1437937728&sr=8-5&keywords=ath-m50x+cable for the metal connectors and the sleeving over buying this supposed audio upgrade fiio cable http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-Replacement-Headphones-RC-HD1/dp/B00GHMIJTY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1437938121&sr=8-10&keywords=fiio+ath-m50 

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 12
  You must be awfully rough on cables.  It's fairly rare that anyone, using even a modicum of care, has problem with detachable cables of the quality that comes with the M50X.  Regardless, good luck with your quest.

I don't want to say "rekt", but rekt

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 12
  You must be awfully rough on cables.  It's fairly rare that anyone, using even a modicum of care, has problem with detachable cables of the quality that comes with the M50X.  Regardless, good luck with your quest.

its not that im rough with the cables im just not always INSIDE so if i by chance drop my cord that has metal ends  their might be a less chance of them breaking

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 12

its not that im rough with the cables im just not always INSIDE so if i by chance drop my cord that has metal ends  their might be a less chance of them breaking

In terms of cause and effect, that doesn't make much sense to me--but OK...

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 12
As long as you're getting one of these affordable cables you linked to, you should be fine. If you instead were to get one of the expensive aftermarket cables costing three figures (some of which have custom connections for the Audio-Technica M series), then it wouldn't make sense due to the expenditure. (Some of these cables cost more than the headphones themselves.) You seem to be satisfied with the M50x, but I encourage you to venture into upgrading sooner or later. There is much better sound out there. Oh. And I just noticed that you are planning on getting the Schiit Magni 2 Uber amp soon. I used to own it. Which other headphones do you have? I ask because upgrading your headphones is a lot more important than the other stuff, and many headphones won't sound any better from an amp. (I compared with and without a Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 with various headphones in the past, and did not hear a difference with most of them.)

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 12
  As long as you're getting one of these affordable cables you linked to, you should be fine. If you instead were to get one of the expensive aftermarket cables costing three figures (some of which have custom connections for the Audio-Technica M series), then it wouldn't make sense due to the expenditure. (Some of these cables cost more than the headphones themselves.) You seem to be satisfied with the M50x, but I encourage you to venture into upgrading sooner or later. There is much better sound out there. Oh. And I just noticed that you are planning on getting the Schiit Magni 2 Uber amp soon. I used to own it. Which other headphones do you have? I ask because upgrading your headphones is a lot more important than the other stuff, and many headphones won't sound any better from an amp. (I compared with and without a Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 with various headphones in the past, and did not hear a difference with most of them.)

oh i plan on upgrading but i also try my best to make my gear last. that and i just got these cans 2 months ago so their pretty new 
 im plannning on looking into a dt770 pro 250 ohms

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 12

if i could ever afford it id love to get the audeze closed back planars and a amp to power them 

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 12
  oh i plan on upgrading but i also try my best to make my gear last. that and i just got these cans 2 months ago so their pretty new 
 im plannning on looking into a dt770 pro 250 ohms

if i could ever afford it id love to get the audeze closed back planars and a amp to power them 

Okay, hehe. 
normal_smile .gif
I was just tryin' to look out for ya.

In case it matters to you, I've heard many of the TOTL planar magnetic headphones and honestly prefer electrostatic headphones (even affordable ones) over them, since they sound more realistic, at least to me. Good luck in your journey!

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #12 of 12

Okay, hehe. 
normal_smile%20.gif
I was just tryin' to look out for ya.

In case it matters to you, I've heard many of the TOTL planar magnetic headphones and honestly prefer electrostatic headphones (even affordable ones) over them, since they sound more realistic, at least to me. Good luck in your journey!

sound ha i just like the looks of the audeze headphones LMAO, id like to try atleast have a pair of each type once 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back