Cable Truths and Myths.
Oct 27, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #256 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Au contraire mon frere! here's a nifty trick I learned a while back - put a '*' (wildcard) after 'Zu' and you're golden. Example: Zu*

wow thank you for this tip
biggrin.gif
Now I can finally use O2 as a search term
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #257 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, all I wanted to say is all there.

But it's NOT there when I reply via "Quote."

It only includes what you say outside of the quote tags and strips out everything that you included in the quote tags.

Quote:

They do not have to.

No, they don't have to re-sample, but they could. They're simply saying that they don't.

Quote:

The music starts as a digital signal, so it already has been "digitized". It's really a false claim.

No, it's not a false claim as a digital signal may be re-sampled.

Quote:

How does the DAC read a signal that has been turned into analog already?

Who says the signal's been converted into analogue?

Quote:

You cannot have it both ways: it's not digital but it is still able to be decoded by a DAC.

You're conflating the signal with the cable.

Quote:

How is the DAC able to read the output of the cable if there is no analog-to-digital conversion then? It starts out digital on the source, it gets turned into "laser analog", and then what?

It doesn't "get turned into 'laser analog.'" Again, you're conflating the signal with the cable. The signal may be digital or analogue, but in either case, the cable is analogue.

Quote:

That's just being pedantic. Of course it is "transmitted" one way, how else would it work? This is needless information, because it is obvious, and to put right after that bullet there are reflections going back, it can be taken as being contradictory.

Since I don't consider reflections to be "transmission," I don't consider it contradictory.

Quote:

Well, when they claim this,
"With the signal path being unidirectional, the signal ground loop is completely isolated, creating a much darker background"
I am inclined to call BS on all of that claim.

And I'll agree with you on the BS call. The unidirectionality has nothing to do with ground isolation. Ground isolation is due to it being an optical medium.

Quote:

Sorry, to claim that they are using "true" 75Ohm RCA connectors is just flat lying. There is no other way around that.

They don't claim to be using "true" 75 ohm RCA's. They're simply saying that the load inside the cable is 75 ohms and 110 ohms depending on whether it's S/PDIF or AES/EBU. Neither the RCA nor the XLR are the load.

Quote:

Well, if you are going to refute me, you will have to refute my point. I brought up the digital cable and only the digital cable. You thought I was talking about the analog cable (same thing really). Please read post #225 more carefully.

Fair 'nuff.

se

nodualxlr.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #258 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent! I've been stymied by the three letter minimum quite a few times. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow thank you for this tip
biggrin.gif
Now I can finally use O2 as a search term
smily_headphones1.gif

You are most welcome, I just about jumped out of my chair when I found it. I work on my vehicle myself, and belong to a Toyota group forum using the same software. Searching for two digits, or two letter part stuff and abbreviations was killing me! One of the mods there turned me on to it.

Oh, just to stay on topic... Snake oil! Does not! Same capacitance! Wasting money! Blah blah!
atsmile.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #259 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, just to stay on topic... Snake oil! Does not! Same capacitance! Wasting money! Blah blah!
atsmile.gif

Yes, back to the topic. Does too! Tin ears! Crappy system! I know what I hear! Blah blah!
biggrin.gif

Man, we are too funny aren't we.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back