Cable to connect Macbookpro to Opus DAC
Dec 13, 2008 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

luidge

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, i have just bought a MBP from apple and now i want to connect it to my opus DAC which only have a coax input. Where can i find a good length cable that would convert mini to coax for relatively cheap? I have already look at bluejeans cables but it come to 40$ wich is a little to rich for my blood.

Dec 13, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 8
Dec 13, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 8
You need three parts, if you use optical out of the MacBook Pro:
1. An miniplug to TOSLINK optical cable.
2. An optical to coax S/PDIF converter.
3. A coax (RCA) cable.

Another option is to use USB out of the MacBook Pro, and then you need an USB cable, an USB to coax S/PDIF converter, and a coax cable.

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 8
Oh so my MBP headphone output only optical, i see, i thought it did it all hehe.
Now i wonder if i will only sell my Opus to get a Duet or something like that, dont want my desk to become a twisted cables monster hehe.
Thank you for your fast answers guys.
What would you personally do? I mean do you think all these little connectors and converter would degrade the SQ by a large margin?

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Correct, the MacBook Pro output optical digital only. And USB of course.
I think you would be better off with a DAC that accept optical input. Even if these converter boxes work quite well.

So I say, sell the opus DAC and buy a more suitable one.

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 8
Not in the budget range you're looking at as far as I know. I'm thinking of getting the USB to coax and the Trends Audio usb to everything else to see if I can make out any difference.

Dec 13, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh so my MBP headphone output only optical, i see, i thought it did it all hehe.
Now i wonder if i will only sell my Opus to get a Duet or something like that, dont want my desk to become a twisted cables monster hehe.
Thank you for your fast answers guys.
What would you personally do? I mean do you think all these little connectors and converter would degrade the SQ by a large margin?

Twisted Pear sells a Toslink input module for the Opus for $18. Get that, and then all you need is a standard mini-to-toslink cable.

Dec 14, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Twisted Pear sells a Toslink input module for the Opus for $18. Get that, and then all you need is a standard mini-to-toslink cable.

That would be the cheapest and cleanest way to go, but my soldering skills with board are not that great, is it a simple plug and play solution or would i need to solder cable and do case mounting jobs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back