Cable that bypasses Ipod DAC?
Nov 19, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #31 of 33
fwiw, if you use a shuffle, it CAN be 100.0% a bidirection usb drive for songs. NO drm or nonsense if you don't want it. all files you copy are visible and copyable back as long as you don't use the apple itunes prog and also use the 'rebuild-db' program to create the shuffle database.

it seems wrong to me to PAY apple (again, via a chip) to get access to music that already belongs to you.

foo on apple! this is why I only run shuffles - since they're the only ones that are so open and not mangled (by force) with apple DRM.

if you buy an ipod you really have no right to complain about not being able to get your songs 'back' since its part of the product *definition* and you should know that going in.

just don't buy ipods. they are NOT the only or even best solution out there for portable music playback. the fact that you have to pay $300+ to get your music digitally is just insult to injury.

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #32 of 33
Very expensive & not very practical when you can just use NAS but check out

iLink Music System made by MSB Technology (Platinum by MSB Technology)

"MSB Technology’s new iLink, is the world’s only iPod docking station that offers a true digital audio output. This is done by modifing the iPod to allow digital audio to be sent to the iLink and output via toslink optical, coaxial or balanced AES/EBU format. With this output, audiophiles can transform their iPods into a high-end source and achieve sound reproduction on a par with a good CD transport. The iLink comes with an RF transmitter that allows the iPod to be moved around the listening room while still maintaining the best audio quality available. The iLink also charges the iPod."

"The MSB iLink’s real appeal is what it was created for: getting the digital bitstream out of an iPod and into your own DAC. And that it does not merely well, but fabulously. I found that, regardless of source material, at worst the iLink matched the sound quality of my CD transport; usually, it bettered that quality." Doug Schneider, Soundstage.com Review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back