cable suggestion
Oct 1, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 25
That's not how cables work, so no. In some cases, a particular cable could change the frequency response (mostly because of a relatively important impedance difference with the previous cable), but how that change in frequency response will go, depends on the transducer itself (its own impedance curve), the impedance and possibly design of the amplifier. And most of the time, the change is so very small that it's a waste of effort and money.
If you wish to lower the treble, I would suggest getting an EQ and get the exact result you prefer. Changing the frequency response is literally what EQs are made for.
Of course, you can randomly change just about anything else, from tips or pads, to cables, amps, DACs. But why do that and hope to get lucky when there is a dedicated tool for changing the frequency response?

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 25
That's not how cables work, so no. In some cases, a particular cable could change the frequency response (mostly because of a relatively important impedance difference with the previous cable), but how that change in frequency response will go, depends on the transducer itself (its own impedance curve), the impedance and possibly design of the amplifier. And most of the time, the change is so very small that it's a waste of effort and money.
If you wish to lower the treble, I would suggest getting an EQ and get the exact result you prefer. Changing the frequency response is literally what EQs are made for.
Of course, you can randomly change just about anything else, from tips or pads, to cables, amps, DACs. But why do that and hope to get lucky when there is a dedicated tool for changing the frequency response?
Thank you for your response. I've never EQ'D my HP .. always had the fear that changing the FR is kind of changing something in the digital domain of the HP .

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 25
It seems you have Trouble With Tribbles!

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 25
I'd try equalizing first at 6khz, then 8khz and then 10khz since those are pretty annoying peaks if you have them. Just 2db at a time, then check it out on the same song. Any player should have the basic bands with those areas.

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 25
I've never EQ'D my HP .. always had the fear that changing the FR is kind of changing something in the digital domain of the HP .
Sorry, I don’t understand. You “had the fear of changing the FR” but you “want to tame the treble a bit” which is changing (reducing) the Frequency Response (in the treble region).

Also, HPs are analogue/acoustic devices they do not have a digital domain. Although some HPs have a built-in wireless or Bluetooth receiver that converts the digital signal to analogue before passing it to the HPs. Obviously you want to be “changing something in the digital domain”, the “something” that represents a reduction of the frequency response in the treble region.

Lastly, as castleofargh stated, the tool to change the frequency response is EQ. A cable will NEVER affect the frequency response, unless it is the wrong cable (inappropriate gauge) and even then, only in certain circumstances depending on impedance.

G

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 25
Sorry, I don’t understand. You “had the fear of changing the FR” but you “want to tame the treble a bit” which is changing (reducing) the Frequency Response (in the treble region).

Also, HPs are analogue/acoustic devices they do not have a digital domain. Although some HPs have a built-in wireless or Bluetooth receiver that converts the digital signal to analogue before passing it to the HPs. Obviously you want to be “changing something in the digital domain”, the “something” that represents a reduction of the frequency response in the treble region.

Lastly, as castleofargh stated, the tool to change the frequency response is EQ. A cable will NEVER affect the frequency response, unless it is the wrong cable (inappropriate gauge) and even then, only in certain circumstances depending on impedance.

G
Hey, thanks a lot for your explanation. And yeah the fear of changing something with EQ even if it's in one region that may in some way influence on I dunno , soundstage? Resolution? I mean, there must be a trade off .. when if I can for example make a pads switch or cable change (I know now it won't make a change ) , a warmth amp(?) is maybe a solution without changing any technical thing in the HP itself . See what I mean ? I'm sorry my English is not my native language.

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #8 of 25

G
Hey, thanks a lot for your explanation. And yeah the fear of changing something with EQ even if it's in one region that may in some way influence on I dunno , soundstage? Resolution? I mean, there must be a trade off .. when if I can for example make a pads switch or cable change (I know now it won't make a change ) , a warmth amp(?) is maybe a solution without changing any technical thing in the HP itself . See what I mean ? I'm sorry my English is not my native language.

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 25
And yeah the fear of changing something with EQ even if it's in one region that may in some way influence on I dunno , soundstage?
Using an EQ doesn’t in “someway influence” something else, it just changes the frequency response. However, changing the frequency response can change the soundstage because the perception of soundstage is partially dependent on the frequency response, although it makes no difference how you achieve that FR change (with electronic components or a digital EQ).
I mean, there must be a trade off .. when if I can for example make a pads switch or cable change (I know now it won't make a change ) , a warmth amp(?) is maybe a solution without changing any technical thing in the HP itself . See what I mean ?
No, I still don’t see what you mean because if you use an amp or anything else to change the EQ (Frequency Response) then you’re still changing the FR/EQ and it makes no difference in the HP itself. The HPs only reflect the frequency response of the analogue input signal, NOT how that FR was achieved. The advantage of using a digital EQ to achieve the desired FR is that you can adjust it very precisely, however you want and it doesn’t add noise or distortion (unlike say a “warm amp”).
I'm sorry my English is not my native language.
Your English seems good enough to me but you appear a little confused about EQ/FR, soundstage and digital/analogue.

G

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #10 of 25
Using an EQ doesn’t in “someway influence” something else, it just changes the frequency response. However, changing the frequency response can change the soundstage because the perception of soundstage is partially dependent on the frequency response, although it makes no difference how you achieve that FR change (with electronic components or a digital EQ).

No, I still don’t see what you mean because if you use an amp or anything else to change the EQ (Frequency Response) then you’re still changing the FR/EQ and it makes no difference in the HP itself. The HPs only reflect the frequency response of the analogue input signal, NOT how that FR was achieved. The advantage of using a digital EQ to achieve the desired FR is that you can adjust it very precisely, however you want and it doesn’t add noise or distortion (unlike say a “warm amp”).

Your English seems good enough to me but you appear a little confused about EQ/FR, soundstage and digital/analogue.

G
Thanks G , I really appreciate your inputs .
And yeah as you see I'm kind new to this world and learning step by step :)

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #11 of 25
And yeah as you see I'm kind new to this world and learning step by step :)
No problem, we all started on the bottom step. You need to be particularly careful in this audio world though, it’s terribly easy to learn the wrong “steps” because the audiophile world is packed with misinformation, originally invented as marketing to sell products (quite often snake oil products) and then repeated as “audiophile lore” by those suckered by that marketing. Cables is a typical example but misunderstanding analogue/digital and also soundstage are also typical. This makes it extremely difficult for those who are “new to this world” to learn the correct “step by step”.

G

Oct 2, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #12 of 25
No problem, we all started on the bottom step. You need to be particularly careful in this audio world though, it’s terribly easy to learn the wrong “steps” because the audiophile world is packed with misinformation, originally invented as marketing to sell products (quite often snake oil products) and then repeated as “audiophile lore” by those suckered by that marketing. Cables is a typical example but misunderstanding analogue/digital and also soundstage are also typical. This makes it extremely difficult for those who are “new to this world” to learn the correct “step by step”.

G
Oh I got that right ! I saw in the past week so many YouTubers that I can't even count . And the more I watch the more I understand that I don't understand anything 😅

Oct 3, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #13 of 25
Your ears are hearing frequency response. How that happens is up to the chain. Source-->conversion-->(possibly) amplification-->transducer (IEM or headphphone). Anything along the way can affect what you hear. The source should be good: not a low bitrate YouTube but something better. The conversion (DAC) should be bit perfect. The amplification may be necessary if you have power hungry headphones. Those are the transducers that send the signal to your actual ears.

Oct 3, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #14 of 25
Your ears are hearing frequency response. How that happens is up to the chain. Source-->conversion-->(possibly) amplification-->transducer (IEM or headphphone). Anything along the way can affect what you hear. The source should be good: not a low bitrate YouTube but something better. The conversion (DAC) should be bit perfect. The amplification may be necessary if you have power hungry headphones. Those are the transducers that send the signal to your actual ears.
Hey there, thanks ! Well you kind a blow up all what I listened until now when all I heated/saw/explained that in the chin first get the best HP that you can afford , then the amplifier and then the DAC .. not the other way .
also when I look at the market there's tons of amps from all the kinds , you are saying that's the amp is less important then the DAC ?

Oct 3, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #15 of 25
if i want to tame the trble a bit.. if ill change to pure copper cable will it work ?
Put a sheet of toilet paper in front of the driver. Thank me later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back