Cable static...
Dec 14, 2003 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

vwap

Padawan.
So I have a Grado 15-foot extention..

This wasn't happening at first, but now, every time I walk around and if the place where the two cables connect (headphone --> headphone extension) hits the ground.. I get static.

Any way to fix this short of buying a new cable?...

Thanks

Dec 15, 2003 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 9
Hmm.. maybe I'm alone here in my plight.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2003 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 9
Maybe it's just dry air in your house from using the heat in the winter time. Try a humidifier?

Dec 15, 2003 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
Maybe it's just dry air in your house from using the heat in the winter time. Try a humidifier?

Nah.. this has been happening since back in August..
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2003 at 6:15 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
• Static Spray

Or just get a house hold anti-static spray.

Hmm.. where would I find something like this locally? The Target/Walmart variety, or the Best Buy/CompUSA type? (Or neither, and it's at some other type?
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Dec 15, 2003 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 9
If is RF noise you can try a ferrite clamp around the cable, BTW, the static is just when it hits the floor or it remains after? If it remains after, maybe is a loose contact, try cleaning them, spry some contact cleaner inside teh jack, and if nothing of this works, you have two choices, or send it to Grado to be checked, or made one yourself, I made a very nice extension out of canare starquad, and two neutrik connectors, it outperformed the Grado one, this one is 25', and has no loss at all, it is completelly transparent....and it cost me about the half of the Grado one....

Dec 15, 2003 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
If is RF noise you can try a ferrite clamp around the cable, BTW, the static is just when it hits the floor or it remains after? If it remains after, maybe is a loose contact, try cleaning them, spry some contact cleaner inside teh jack, and if nothing of this works, you have two choices, or send it to Grado to be checked, or made one yourself, I made a very nice extension out of canare starquad, and two neutrik connectors, it outperformed the Grado one, this one is 25', and has no loss at all, it is completelly transparent....and it cost me about the half of the Grado one....

It's just when it hits the ground.. or if I drag it across the floor. But it's definately something with the connection between my headphones and the extension cable...

Dec 15, 2003 at 7:07 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
It's just when it hits the ground.. or if I drag it across the floor. But it's definately something with the connection between my headphones and the extension cable...

Just spray alcohol inside the jack, a few times and try to dry it, after that, use any contact cleaner (or maybe, WD-40), RS sells one, and with an cotton swab (Q-tip) embedded in this cleaner rub the inside contacts, be careful not to leave the cotton inside OK? If is a false contact, or rust, this will fix that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back