Cable from sound card to amp
Apr 6, 2009 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DW87

Head-Fier
I'm currently using a crappy 3.5mm jack to RCA (came with the sound card) to connect my Asus D2X straight to a Darkvoice 332. Is there any use in splashing out on a nicer cable? Something like a Blue Jeans cable?

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DW87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone? I was thinking a Monster cable, would it be worth the money for just this cable?

I'm not sure. What I do know is that monster cables are marked up over 100%. I'd look elsewhere for a cable.

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 15
Blue Jeans is a super, honest, reliable company building quality cables at sensible prices using the wire and components that many recording studios use. You can't go wrong with them. I have never had a bad cable or bad experience.

For specialty stuff (unusual lengths or connectors) I use and highly recommend Randy at BrainSaladAudio (brainsalad@brainsaladaudio.com).

You won't hear any difference most likely, unless your cable run crosses other (especially power) cables or you have a lot of interference issues. Many pros buy the cheapest cables they can find (usually Radio Shack), since they have no long cable runs and no noise issues.

Better cables look and feel nicer. That's part of the hobby. Forget Monster -- not a good value compared to BJC.

For SQ the money is better spent saving up to upgrade the sound card.

For digital cables there is even less reason to spend real money.

There is an eBay builder that basically uses the same components as BJC but is cheaper. I have given him a big order and will see how it turns out.

Apr 10, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DW87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently using a crappy 3.5mm jack to RCA (came with the sound card) to connect my Asus D2X straight to a Darkvoice 332. Is there any use in splashing out on a nicer cable? Something like a Blue Jeans cable?

I suspect that the quality increase would only depend on your equipment. I highly doubt that there would be any noticeable increase in SQ unless you had some decent headphones or speakers which would pick up on it. If anything, upgrading would be for aesthetic/quality purposes. You have such a nice amp, connecting it with some sheilded solid copper cables with gold plated connectors wrapped with Flex PET cable sleeveing would be nice
icon10.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/auzentech-prelude-denon-unit-w-headphones-418980/#post5595998

Posted this elsewhere. Guy had similar question. This is my setup. I can discern audio quality, but up to a point, the budget doesn't justify a small increase in SQ. I would barely be able to tell the difference with my senn hd280's anyways.

Better yet, save some change and just get some monoprice premium rca cables.
22AWG solid copper center conductor and heavy duty gold plated, corrosion resistant connectors.
Mmmm... fancy.

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 15
I don't think you will ever hear sound quality difference with different cables. Unless the copper wire in the cable actually does not connect, it's good enough.
But if you wanna try another cable, i won't stop you
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 15
To be honest, I kind of suspected i might not hear a difference with my current setup, just my brother mentioned I was using **** cables when he was here which got me wondering if I was really bottlenecking the SQ in my system. I probably will go for a new cable since they're reasonably priced for what I need. Thanks for the help guys, I will check out the links.

Apr 12, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #9 of 15
I like to use quality cables, that is cables which appear to have a nice build quality and actually function. I've always been one to concern myself with the gauge of the wire used. For instance, one of the factory cables that came with a set of I-Trigue 3300's I have, here which use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable which is just sad. It looks cheap and the wire is obviously not shielded and uses a horridly small gauge; it's just puny.

This is about as much as I splurge on cables: Parts-Express.com - Search Results

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #11 of 15
I was using a crappy supplied 3ft 1/8 to RCA cable like you and picked up a longer 6ft Radio Shack Gold Series right angle 1/8 to RCA to hold me over until I decided on which "high end" cable to buy. I was shocked - I wasn't expecting to hear a lick of difference but the bass is much stronger and the speakers sound much better overall. These are thicker, better shielded and use a lower gauge run of copper than the cheap(er) connector I was using, it must have been choking off the signal.

Best 8 bucks I ever spent!

Apr 13, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #12 of 15
Apr 14, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #13 of 15
monoprice cables ftw

you know you arent getting super cheap cables, but decently built and reliable cables for cheap!

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
monoprice cables ftw

you know you arent getting super cheap cables, but decently built and reliable cables for cheap!

All I know is that they feel like good quality and I haven't ever had a problem with one. +1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back