Cable for LCD-2 rev2
Jan 24, 2013 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RustA

Aka: Banned member MHOE/MetalHOE.
I have decided to stick with LCD-2 rev2 phones for a long time because they offer exactly what I wanted from a pair of headphones (their frequency response is exactly what I was after).

Please, could anyone recommend a good aftermarket cable that will provide:

1) Even tighter and better defined bass, without overemphasis
2) The same or even fuller mids (but not being overemphasised)
3) Not more apparent treble, I am perfectly happy with it as it is... It could maybe be a bit more airy or "accurate", but not necessarily.
4) The level of detail is nice already so it does not need to be overally more detailed or sharper-sounding. I do not like too much sharpness in general, rather smooth and balanced performance.

I listen to rock and metal primarily, also to some pop music or acoustic...

Thanks in advance!

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 12
I am not sure what you have for a setup, but it may be worth listening to a balanced cable through a balanced system including balanced DAC and balanced headphone amp.  This way you can let your ears do the testing and see if you like what you hear.  Whatever you decide, try to test the cable live before buying it, or at least be able to return it if you do not like it.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
I am not sure what you have for a setup, but it may be worth listening to a balanced cable through a balanced system including balanced DAC and balanced headphone amp.  This way you can let your ears do the testing and see if you like what you hear.  Whatever you decide, try to test the cable live before buying it, or at least be able to return it if you do not like it.

Do not have an opportunity to go balanced unfortunately... 1/4 plug cable very much prefered.

I've tried to go through several cable reviews but they often mention treble emphasis which is not what I am looking for. =/

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
I'm really happy with the new silk Q-Audio cable for Audeze

Seconded!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #9 of 12
Nod for Q.

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Nod for Q.

Still trying to understand how it works, stock Audeze cable is a pretty good copper, how other copper can make it sound different, is aftermarket cable upgrade purely aesthetic improvement?

From Audeze site http://audeze.com/cable-single-ended
Quote:
Wire Construction
140 strands of high purity audio grade copper
20AWG for very low impedance, high current capacity with extended high frequency range
Low inductance and Capacitance
Maximum operating voltage 500V AC or DC
Very flexible, tangle free cable
Non-Microphonic
Connectors:
Professional ¼” gold plated stereo plug for input signal
Professional gold plated latching 4 pin mini XLR connectors
Electrical Specifications
Dielectric strength:  500V AC
Resistance: 170 milliohms for returned path of 2.5m long cable; this includes the contact resistance of our mini XLR connector on LCD-2 housing
Capacitance: 250 pF, including mini XLR connector on LCD-2 housing
Response: -3dB @ 12.7 MHz
Inductance: 1.8 microH

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
Still trying to understand how it works, stock Audeze cable is a pretty good copper, how other copper can make it sound different, is aftermarket cable upgrade purely aesthetic improvement?

From Audeze site http://audeze.com/cable-single-ended

It is a pretty good cable. And we could do the cable camp debate, but we won't.

There's a variety of differences, such as the Q using 880 individually insulated strands, for example. You can read a bit about here.

I'll go ahead and state now that I use Q cables for aesthetic and ergonomic improvements.

You want light, flexible and really sexy-elegant, well, then go with Q.

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
I have decided to stick with LCD-2 rev2 phones for a long time because they offer exactly what I wanted from a pair of headphones (their frequency response is exactly what I was after).

Please, could anyone recommend a good aftermarket cable that will provide:

1) Even tighter and better defined bass, without overemphasis
2) The same or even fuller mids (but not being overemphasised)
3) Not more apparent treble, I am perfectly happy with it as it is... It could maybe be a bit more airy or "accurate", but not necessarily.
4) The level of detail is nice already so it does not need to be overally more detailed or sharper-sounding. I do not like too much sharpness in general, rather smooth and balanced performance.

I listen to rock and metal primarily, also to some pop music or acoustic...

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you want to go copper or copper / silver mix.  Any of the big boys will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back