Cable for HD650 change anything????
Jan 13, 2013 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ematthews

100+ Head-Fier
I am not a big believer in cables for my Hifi two channel stuff. I have a lot of gear and I have never heard a difference when I tried some hi end cables. Connects or speaker cable. Now I am new to headphones. Have tried a few mid to hi end cans and it looks like for now the Senn HD650 is the best I have as of yet..
 Now would a cable change really help the sound of these. A lot of threads and stories out there support this... Is it snake oil??
Something like these..
Cardas cale 

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 7
Personally I didn't notice a difference when cable swapping with the HD 580 (which are similar), certainly nothing to justify the price of some of the cables for these headphones that can cost almost as much as the headphones themselves. At least IMO - certainly other people will have a different experience. My advice would be to find an inexpensive cable to try out if you're really curious, and see what you think. Although I'm guessing if you aren't generally someone who finds cables to be a big deal, that probably won't change here.

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks. I really feel I need to change my amp. The Bellari HA540 just sounds sharp and harsh to me..Have no idea what to get.

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks. I really feel I need to change my amp. The Bellari HA540 just sounds sharp and harsh to me..Have no idea what to get.

I tended to like amplifiers with higher output impedance with my Sennheisers - like what you'd find with a good stereo receiver. Although "sharp and harsh" is nothing I'd associate with Sennheiser.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 7
When I plug the Senn's into my Marantz PM8004 integrated amp they sound great. I am looking for a good headphone amp for these and my 600ohm Beyers....
Maybe I just need a different tube

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #6 of 7
What makes you think a HP amp will be better than your Marantz? It could well be worse. In my experience Marantz have great headphone outs, especially at the 8004 level. I'd certainly audition first to avoid a costly mistake.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back