Cable cracking on my SE530s
Mar 4, 2010 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Rise To The Top

1000+ Head-Fier
My current pair (second pair, as my first pair of E500s had cable failure) of E500/SE530 IEMs are starting to show some bad cracking and splitting in the cables right where the cable meets the earphone and back down near the y connector. The earphones are a little two years old, so I'm not sure if Shure will do any free work on them, even though they did make a statement a while back regarding replacement due to faulty cables. That said, are there any companies out there that do recabling for the SE530s for a relatively low price? Or should I just see if Shure will do anything about it?

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #2 of 7
Nobody has anything?

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 7
I have only seen recabling on SE530 mentioned in Chinese forum, and it is not an easy job since the housing needs to be cut open with a heated blade. You can imagine it will not look as nice once it is done. It will be better if you just send the whole thing to reshell.

Shure will probably not going to do anything since they don't actually repair any of their IEM, they will just send a replacement pair if it is still in warranty - if not in warranty, they will probably ask if you want to purchase a new pair on a much lower price.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 7
Shure has great customer service (from all my past experience). I've had at least 4 pairs of E500's replaced, including the original cable variety.

If they're past warranty, they'll usually allow you to trade yours in for a new pair for a ridiculously low amount like $50.

The cables crack because the black plastic absorbs oils off the skin and hardens. The pair I'm currently using has lasted much longer now, because I started using those silicone ear guides you can pick up cheap.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 7
We had a similar case in the German headphone-forum recently. Shure refused to replace the IEMs with new ones, because it was already outside of the warranty period. Even if they knew, that the cable issue is quite common for the E500/SE530 and might occure sooner or later on almost every E500/SE530.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back