Cable Cost vs Equipment Cost
Apr 10, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #47 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what happens when you add fake transparency to something that's already dead-black?

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."

-Nigel Tufnel

Apr 10, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #48 of 139
Quote:

what happens when you add fake transparency to something that's already dead-black?

Whoever thought of a very famous pop star as an answer to that question is way too politically incorrect a person, shame shame! Mods keep an eye on whoever though about such a politically incorrect answer! Ban material I say!

PS. Gee apologies, this is way inapropriate... Couldn't resist...
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #49 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The future is $1k DAC, $1k amp, and $30k worth of Valhalla cables.

Are you serious, or is this "fake transparency" and cable stuff an inside joke?

Apr 10, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #50 of 139
Sound card: 7,73%
DAC: 30,29%
Amplifier: 25,90%
Headphones: 15,86%
RAL headphone cable: 8,65%
Interconnect cables: 4,61%
Power cables: 6,92%

I still don't consider myself as a "source first" -guy.
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #51 of 139
Let's see, going from what I paid:

Speaker rig:
$700 source > $90 cables > $500 pre > $110 cables > $3800 amp > FREE cables > $2900 speakers + ~ $1000 room treatments

$200/$9100 = 2% of system cost in cables

Hahaha
biggrin.gif

Headphone Gear:
$700 Source > $270 cables > $1500 amp + $1200 amp > $1700 + $1400 + $1500 + $600 headphones

$270/$8870 = 3% system cost in cables

Though if I still owned an HD650, it would have a Zu Mobius attached for sure.

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #52 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you serious, or is this "fake transparency" and cable stuff an inside joke?

No, not a joke. If I would get better sound with the high-end gear I would use them instead of letting them collecting dust. I get the best sound from Benchmark DAC1 that costs $975. Without any tweaks the DAC1 sounds bright which is why people don't like it. After the problems with it were solved it sounded too dark, the fat Valhalla cables costing 30 times more than the DAC were the weaknesses, I had to modify them thinner to solve the problem.

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #54 of 139
I have a $2000 cd player connected to a $2500 amplifier with a $90 interconnect. I am a believer in good cabling however if you go way over then I think prices are rediculous. As long as a cable is sturdy with good plugs and nice material between the plugs I am happy.

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #55 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as a cable is sturdy with good plugs and nice material between the plugs I am happy.

The sad part is, sometimes audiophile cables aren't capable of even that.
So far I've experienced the following issues in various audiophile cables in the $100-$300 range:
* The RCA pin is too short to make any contact in certain RCA jacks
* The RCA pin is too narrow to make good contact in certain RCA jacks
* Cable loses internal integrity and signal breaks up when wiggled
* Big RCA plugs that don't fit when the RCA jacks are close together (all too common even with high end sources)

The connection should be the SIMPLEST part of the chain to implement correctly, yet I've had far MORE trouble there than with any actual components! Somebody needs to get their act together with better thought out parts here - though honestly almost all of these issues would disappear if components and cables all used nice XLR jacks/plugs (never had problems with a Neutrik XLR) instead of those awful RCAs. Also, it's amusing that I've never had a problem yet with cheaper RCA cables ala Monster & Radio shack. Sorry for the rant. I'm just sick of flaky RCA cables
tongue.gif

I'll also no longer buy cables with Homegrown Audio RCA plugs since I've had more issues with their plugs.

Apr 10, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #56 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
* The RCA pin is too short to make any contact in certain RCA jacks
* The RCA pin is too narrow to make good contact in certain RCA jacks
* Cable loses internal integrity and signal breaks up when wiggled
* Big RCA plugs that don't fit when the RCA jacks are close together (all too common even with high end sources)

Once I also came across and RCA pin that was a bit too long, so the ground cylinder didn´t fully cover the RCA jack. It wasn´t a high end cable by any means though.

There are also RCA plugs that are incredibly hard to push in or later on remove from any RCA jacks. They make you think you´ll damage your equipment with so much force needed.

Apr 10, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #57 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are also RCA plugs that are incredibly hard to push in or later on remove from any RCA jacks. They make you think you´ll damage your equipment with so much force needed.

Every QED cable I've ever touched had that. Stupefyingly irritating.

Apr 10, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #58 of 139
I'm using my DAC1 USB with the USB cable it came with. I have a few more expensive ones (in the $20 range for RCA) but I'm never going to buy something from Cardas or Moon or especially Nordost. Not because I can't afford it, but because I understand electronics well enough to know they are made out of $5 of materials and much bovine excrement.

Apr 10, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #59 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without any tweaks the DAC1 sounds bright which is why people don't like it.

The DAC1 has one of the best sounds around because of a faithful adherence to sound engineering instead of following the latest trends of audiophilia. People don't like the DAC1 because it's not made by Brand X and doesn't cost 4 times what it's selling for. If it was, it'd be the second coming of Mark Levinson or something.

Apr 10, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #60 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by lowmagnet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using my DAC1 USB with the USB cable it came with. I have a few more expensive ones (in the $20 range for RCA) but I'm never going to buy something from Cardas or Moon or especially Nordost. Not because I can't afford it, but because I understand electronics well enough to know they are made out of $5 of materials and much bovine excrement.

Food in restaurants are made from cheap materials too. The chef just puts them on a plate and boosts up the price 20x times. The good thing with cables is that once you buy it you can keep it a lifetime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowmagnet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAC1 has one of the best sounds around because of a faithful adherence to sound engineering instead of following the latest trends of audiophilia. People don't like the DAC1 because it's not made by Brand X and doesn't cost 4 times what it's selling for. If it was, it'd be the second coming of Mark Levinson or something.

Yes, some people think that just because something costs more it is automatically better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back