Cable connection question
Jan 1, 2009 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Rakooon

100+ Head-Fier
I'll buy PRO750 and want the best hardware equipments to use it at its full potential.I've been looking at Moon Audio site and ask myself.... Is there an advantage at converting the "Blue Dragon 1/8 to 1/4" they offer to end up ? "1/4 female -} XLR" in my amp??? Will it give the Balance sound of XLR or its unuseful connection ?
THX!

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 11
So correct me if im mistaken , there's no advantage at using a 1/4 over 1/8 for any reason right ?
And if i get an balance amp , will it be better ??? Considering that i should use an "interconnect" like "1/4 female --> XLR".Im just checking to get the BEST set up no matter what.

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakooon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So correct me if im mistaken , there's no advantage at using a 1/4 over 1/8 for any reason right ?
And if i get an balance amp , will it be better ??? Considering that i should use an "interconnect" like "1/4 female --> XLR".Im just checking to get the BEST set up no matter what.

The only use of the 1/4"->1/8" is to convert from the big plug 1/4" to smaller one 1/8" so that you can use the cable with both the home and portable amp. Any cheap converter can do this without any problem.

Whether the balanced setup is good or not depends largely on your own ears. Some say they didn't hear any difference between a single-ended and a balanced rig. To my ears, my balanced HD650 improves vastly when balanced.

I don't think the "1/4 female -> XLR" will play a role to convert your cable to balanced. A "XLR -> 1/4" will make more sense.

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 11
Using a 1/4" to XLR adapter will not give you balanced operation of your headphones. 1/4" only has three channels where balanced has four. If you want to use headphones balanced you will need to reterminate them to balanced or have them recabled depending on the headphone.

And as lil knight said... there is no audible benefit to using an adapter. It is just that... an adapter that allows you to hook up one type of plug to another.

Jan 3, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 11
Ok......
than if i get it,i need to re-cable my headphones itself in XLR(or reterminate ????? WTH is this?).The "hick" is,Pro750 is "detachable cord".How can it be done ?

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #8 of 11
True... but if you buy all your stuff from Moon-Audio , (Pro750,5' Blue DRG Cable ending in XLR) it come to 550 US.Its not that bad.But MEN !! The problemes are balanced amps !!! WOW ! These things cost like a arm , two fingers and an eye !!!Your lucky to have a nice one ! By the way, how come your HD650 are balanced with only 1 XLR ?????

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #9 of 11
You need to buy used equipment. There are many fine balanced HP amps that come up for sale.

Or, as an alternative (lesser alternative), pick a (reasonably large) budget, and see if a DIY'er will build you a balanced Beta 22 for your price. There are decisions that can be made in building a Beta 22 that will keep the price down.

Balanced sounds better. No question. You can prove this to yourself at a meet (I did at Can Jam '08).

I had Drew at moon-audio re-cable my Pro 750's with Silver Dragon and they were certainly improved over stock. Then later I had Drew convert them to balanced (after I got my Beta 22) and they are even better.

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to buy used equipment. There are many fine balanced HP amps that come up for sale.

Or, as an alternative (lesser alternative), pick a (reasonably large) budget, and see if a DIY'er will build you a balanced Beta 22 for your price. There are decisions that can be made in building a Beta 22 that will keep the price down.

Balanced sounds better. No question. You can prove this to yourself at a meet (I did at Can Jam '08).

I had Drew at moon-audio re-cable my Pro 750's with Silver Dragon and they were certainly improved over stock. Then later I had Drew convert them to balanced (after I got my Beta 22) and they are even better.

Im real glad to hear that !Even if i ain't got hifi ears yet, i'm more than determine getting most hi-ends set up my wallet (and my wife) allow me to have !!(AMP,DAC,CABLES,balanced sound, etc ...)
icon10.gif
But i need to be convince those hardware worth it !
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back