Cable/adapter bottle neck?
Jan 31, 2009 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CompressionalFlagellation

100+ Head-Fier
Being the young grasshopper I am, I thought I'd ask any of you random head-fi senseis if either of these adapters(1 and 2) would be a bottle neck in a system using a PA Caliente amp and these interconnects.

Are these interconnects even nessesary? I do have a regular brand-X stereo RCA in a box somewhere; would that be sufficient, or would I benefit from this 2 foot, $50, stereo RCA?

Thanks

Jan 31, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 9
trying my best to not push my dislike high end cables aside, ill offer this advice based on nothing more than logic, not experience:

an improved cable is supposed to better transfer the audio signal between your two devices. if you run through the cable + an adapter, then the worse of the two will limit the signal. there is no reason to say, however, that the cables will not be the limiting factor, and that the interconnects aren't terrific.

keep in mind also though, that the number of connections should be kept to a minimum. that is to say, even if you bought $1200 adapters (if they even exist), the fewer the better, since each cable->adapter connection is not a solder point, but a pressure connection.

Jan 31, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 9
You can get the cable(s) you need from a lot of Head-fi sponsors. It looks like you may need a RCA to mini and maybe a mini to 1/4 plug? These cables are easy to come by. The Signal Cable looks like a fine RCA. It may be wiser to get exactly what you need in the first place. You might get a lot of grief when you hook things up and they may not work as you think they should. Less is more, and adapters are great when you are in a pinch and don't have the necessary cables to hook up your gear. In this case I would find out exactly the cable(s) that are needed for your set up and then go from there. Just my 2 cents.

Jan 31, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by CompressionalFlagellation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these interconnects even nessesary? I do have a regular brand-X stereo RCA in a box somewhere; would that be sufficient, or would I benefit from this 2 foot, $50, stereo RCA?

Use what you have first. If you notice a problem - and you probably won't - then consider other options. But always start with what you already have and always try the least expensive cables and interconnects first.

Jan 31, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 9
Thank you all for your advice. I will be connecting a PA Caliente amp to an NI Guitar Rig 3 Kontrol board (line out section: two 1/4 outputs -- here I plan on using two 1/4 male to RCA female mono adapters), and at other times to my sound card (obviously the 1/8). Am I correct with these being the two best connection methods?

Jan 31, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use what you have first. If you notice a problem - and you probably won't - then consider other options. But always start with what you already have and always try the least expensive cables and interconnects first.

I agree.

BTW, I am trying to understand why you need adapters. What source will you be using to feed your amp. If it is a portable cd-player or a DAP w/ a mini jack as the output then one of the cheapest ways to go is via a Radio Shack mini to rca cable.

Acoustic Research (AP-042) 3-Ft. Mini-to-RCA Audio Adapter - RadioShack.com

Another very good option is to go with a mini to rca by Blue Jean Cable MS-1.

Precision Stereo Audio Cables from Blue Jeans Cable

Good luck.

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 9
Feb 1, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 9
I would get all the cables the first time and then maybe think about a switch box or pre amp of some sort to turn a knob instead of changing a cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back