C222ES or 963SA?
Jul 6, 2003 at 1:14 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
A change if cables could help in the short run.

Just got new ones, and there was a slight difference regarding warmth/lower notes....well...maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to try something different. Note, however, that my whole home theater system is Sony, and I have been extremely pleased with that.

Jul 6, 2003 at 8:28 AM Post #17 of 24
I'm very happy with the bass response on my 963SA. So much so that I usually leave the upampling off and concentrate on detail (I feel that upsampling, like crossfeed, does what it does at the expense of some of the detail).

Jul 6, 2003 at 1:38 PM Post #18 of 24
Well if you're wanting to snag a new Sony, shop quickly as they are becoming harder to find new. Or check the normal places for used units. Good luck.

Jul 6, 2003 at 2:38 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Leo
Well if you're wanting to snag a new Sony, shop quickly as they are becoming harder to find new. Or check the normal places for used units. Good luck.

I can't find any 555ES on ebay already-- new or used.

Jul 6, 2003 at 6:38 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by OneMalt
I'm very happy with the bass response on my 963SA. So much so that I usually leave the upampling off and concentrate on detail (I feel that upsampling, like crossfeed, does what it does at the expense of some of the detail).

Good point. Maybe I should try listening without the upsampling as I've only done that on a few of my older discs.

Jul 10, 2003 at 5:58 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
Yes, I have always been pretty happy with the sound quality, but the bass is a bit on the thin side, and I would really like a dedicated CD/SACD player instead of the DVD integration. I'll just kick it around for a while and do some research.

I'd suggest that you try upgrading the power cord.
It definitely helped with the bass on mine.
I have zero complaints.

Do you use it as a DVD player at all?
It has amazingly good picture qulity.

Jul 10, 2003 at 6:05 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Randu
I'd suggest that you try upgrading the power cord.
It definitely helped with the bass on mine.
I have zero complaints.

Do you use it as a DVD player at all?
It has amazingly good picture qulity.

No DVD, I have it dedicated to audio only. Yeah, I'll do the power cord, and then probably send it out for a mod at some point. Looks like it will be less expensive than buying a whole new source, and I really have no major complaints with the unit. Thanks for the suggestion
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 11:26 AM Post #23 of 24
Seems that a lot of concern with the Philips model started appearing after one poster (who mods sources) noted the poor choice of parts in the Philips compared to other players.

This was interesting, because I thought aos had reviewed the specs of the Philips unit and said that he didn't realize how Philips was making ANY money on the player because they were using such high quality parts!?!?!?

Obviously, if you feel that the player isn't providing the sound that you're looking for, then it's time to move on (or at least start saving some cash for future upgrades!).

Just would not base one's decision to purchase or not based on what's written here. This site is a great way to get leads on equipment. But if possible, it's always best to try before you buy.

Bruce

Jul 10, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #24 of 24
I think the 'cheap' parts of the 963sa, are only in comparison to some Sony SACD players that "that certain member" mods. The 222es (the player in question in this thread) was originally priced at $800 retail, whereas the 963sa was $400 as soon as it came out ($499 retail I believe). Fairly big price difference. Add in excellent DVD-Video performance on the 963sa, and you can see that there's far less money to be spent on the audio circuits in the 963sa than the 222es. (Although even Mr. Anker admits the 222es/CE775 aren't exactly stellar redbook players before they've been modded, I don't how'd he compare the 222es to the 963sa both unmodded).

-dd3mon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back