C222ES or 963SA?
Jul 5, 2003 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

OriginalReaper

500+ Head-Fier
I'm considering these two players for my rig.

963SA - $380 (JandR after taxes)
CD/SACD/DVD
Single Disc

or

C222ES - $380 (eBay after shipping)
CD/SACD
5 Disc Changer

Source > Meta42 > SR225, ER6, CD3000

I'll listen to rock 90% of the time.
Which player do you guys recommend?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14975
$335 C222ES on ebay w/$50 for shipping ($385 total)
Good value? Better/worse than getting a 963SA for the same price?

Jul 5, 2003 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 24
222ES is also a 5-disc changer, 963SA is also a DVD player. Are either of those factors? Seems to me the 222ES as a dedicated SACDP is likely to have better internal build, especially given that original asking price was more than double that of 963SA. No guarantee about sonics, though, I haven't heard either player.

Jul 5, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Leo
I have the 222ES and enjoy it. I was looking for a standalone SACD player. It fit the bill just fine. I'd recommend it.

Just wondering if you have compared to the 963SA? Also, does it have upsampling?

Jul 5, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 24
I would reco the 222 since it already is built quite well and can be modded easily for not too much money. After reading Matthew's post on the quality of parts in the Philips, I wouldn't touch one myself.

Jul 6, 2003 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
I would reco the 222 since it already is built quite well and can be modded easily for not too much money. After reading Matthew's post on the quality of parts in the Philips, I wouldn't touch one myself.

Kinda wished I hadn't jumped the gun so soon, however, it will be a nice addition to my home theater set up.

Jul 6, 2003 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
Kinda wished I hadn't jumped the gun so soon, however, it will be a nice addition to my home theater set up.

I wouldn't worry Alan. Maybe Matthew will come up with some decently priced mods to make the Philips really sing. He seems to be working on them as we type.

Jul 6, 2003 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Kinda wished I hadn't jumped the gun so soon...

Why? You were happy with it before weren't you? Did it just start sounding bad? It's a good player.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 6, 2003 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

I wouldn't worry Alan. Maybe Matthew will come up with some decently priced mods to make the Philips really sing. He seems to be working on them as we type.

Yeah, I'll do something with it. I've always had good luck with Sony, and though I am happy with the 963SA, after reading these threads, I understand now why the bass seems a little lean in the Philips. Hey; live, learn, buy, trade, sell, etc, etc. Thats what this hobby is all about
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Yeah, I'll do something with it. I've always had good luck with Sony, and though I am happy with the 963SA, after reading these threads, I understand now why the bass seems a little lean in the Philips. Hey; live, learn, buy, trade, sell, etc, etc. Thats what this hobby is all about
wink.gif

This is another reason why you fit in here so well.
tongue.gif
It's kind of fun buying and trying stuff as long as you either don't lose too much money, or have the money to burn. Pigmode has really shown me that you can't always believe what's said here all the time. Your ears are different than anyone elses, so at times trial and error are the only ways to find what works FOR YOU.

Jul 6, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

This is another reason why you fit in here so well.
tongue.gif
It's kind of fun buying and trying stuff as long as you either don't lose too much money, or have the money to burn. Pigmode has really shown me that you can't always believe what's said here all the time. Your ears are different than anyone elses, so at times trial and error are the only ways to find what works FOR YOU.

Well, put it this way. The 963SA is still a heck of a lot better than what I had before.

Jul 6, 2003 at 1:01 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Well, put it this way. The 963SA is still a heck of a lot better than what I had before.

There you go. I went thru the same thing when I bought a CDP due to a rush to leave and return to Ecuador. They cancelled my flight and I changed it for a week later at their expense. Then I sold my unit I just bought for a few hundred $ loss and got what I wanted all along. You just chalk it up to experience and move on with life. No biggie, we've all been there and done that ourselves. Some more than others, but all at least once.

Jul 6, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Why? You were happy with it before weren't you? Did it just start sounding bad? It's a good player.
rolleyes.gif

Yes, I have always been pretty happy with the sound quality, but the bass is a bit on the thin side, and I would really like a dedicated CD/SACD player instead of the DVD integration. I'll just kick it around for a while and do some research.

Jul 6, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Yes, I have always been pretty happy with the sound quality, but the bass is a bit on the thin side, and I would really like a dedicated CD/SACD player instead of the DVD integration. I'll just kick it around for a while and do some research.

A change if cables could help in the short run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back