C PAds from headphile
Mar 4, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #136 of 246
Just checked out the pics of the Alpha Ports on headphile - the strange thing is I think it only adds to the funkiness of a Grado lol! I can only imagine someone trying to use these outside tho, outside of the stares - "Argh, lost a plug! Must Find Plug!"

Mar 4, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #137 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Just checked out the pics of the Alpha Ports on headphile - the strange thing is I think it only adds to the funkiness of a Grado lol! I can only imagine someone trying to use these outside tho, outside of the stares - "Argh, lost a plug! Must Find Plug!"

Must have grado. I lust! I lust!

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #138 of 246
Quote:

It could also take tweaking to anal retentive levels, i.e. different port ratios for different types of music, artists, albums, songs, passages within songs, etc.
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #139 of 246
Wow. Comfy Grados, who woulda thunk it. Thanks Larry.

Mar 5, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #140 of 246
JUST GOT HERE. And I'm typing in the dark because i just got home from a dinner date with the wife - and my mom and sis are staying over tonite. so yeah i got like 3 songs worth until everyone shut me down. (darth beyers on right now - grados still leak like a mother)

Public Announcement - Grados with C-Pads KICK HARD in the Bass. And definitely more soundstage. I long no longer for the HP-2. All that delicious detail is still here from the HP1000 drivers. Impact is ramped up a ton - all that sonically charged air has nowhere to go but my ears, with these circumaural pads.

I'm not saying extension goes deeper - listening to the DT770, it still goes deeper. But what the SR200 has to give, it now gives in spades, no muss no fuss. Honestly the SR200 is more fun now, and it doesn't seem to suffer from the new dynamics accuracy-wise. Comfort is identical to my DT770 - it should be, with the same headband and pads lol.

but the biggest test was passed with flying colors - the wife wanted to hear them (the rosewood was pretty) and she got googly-eyed when "World In My Eyes- Daniel Miller Mix" kicked in by Depeche Mode. Pretty soon she stopped looking at her mag, closed her eyes, did the whole head bob thing, sang along, then sang silenty so as not to ruin the tunes going into her ears - yep, the rare Wifely Stamp of Approval has been achieved yet again, a rare occurrence!

Mar 5, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #141 of 246
Quote:

Public Announcement - Grado with C-Pads KICK HARD in the Bass. And definitely more soundstage. I long no longer for the HP-2. All that delicious detail is still here from the HP1000 drivers. Impact is ramped up a ton - all that sonically charged air has nowhere to go but my ears, with these circumaural pads.

I'm not saying extension goes deeper - listening to the DT770, it still goes deeper. But what the SR200 has to give, it now gives in spades, no muss no fuss. Honestly the SR200 is more fun now, and it doesn't seem to suffer from the new dynamics accuracy-wise. Comfort is identical to my DT770 - it should be, with the same headband and pads lol.

Thanks for the impression, Jahn! Man, all of you with your c-pads are making it more and more difficult for me to wait for my set. They should be coming in sometime next week, along with DT770 headband pads(ordered two just in case I get another Grado - okay change that for WHEN I get another Grado). By midweek, my MSP should look nothing like a MSP, save for the wood housing. lol.

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #142 of 246
Quote:

but the biggest test was passed with flying colors - the wife wanted to hear them (the rosewood was pretty) and she got googly-eyed, did the whole head bob thing - yep, the rare Wifely Stamp of Approval has been achieved

Always a bonus when the wife has a lusting for your rosewood!

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #143 of 246
speaking of which, it's a good time to sign off for tonite...thanks again Larry and I'll see you all in the morning!
cool.gif

"C-Pads:The Circumaural Marital Aid."

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #144 of 246
Holy motha of god! I just got my Beta C-pads today and tried them out (still doing so in fact). I find that they have widened the soundstage up so much that I feel lost ("Is this still the same pair of MS-1's that I had yesterday?" pops up in my mind). Yeah I know they are but in addition to the added soundstage, I had discovered a multitude of details I have been missing. I am totally glad I got these C-pads in short. Thanks again Larry.
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #145 of 246
Jahn, I gotta hook up here with the mrs's -- marital wife headphone/c-pad approval...! I am not worthy! I am in awe. My wife has nothing but scorn for me and my audio-itis. [of course, I don't hear any scorn when she's at the gym grooving to (get this...) Abba on her iPod and Koss Sportapro's!] I would love to see her with my cans on her head grooving, as she does like her music. I think the master plan has to involve alcohol consumption (and Abba. OK, she loves the Stones...make it a cabernet and Mick, and I think I can get her to join the dark side).

Great story, thanks for sharing.

On my c-pad front, I sent my betas back to larry for tweaking and partially hence the discovery of the ported alphas. So, I am going to be the guinnea pig here on the ported alpha c-pad adapter set. As you said, the bass kicks hard on his circumaurals, and it was too colored for me...so now, as in the outer limits, "I will control the bass."

Glad you enjoyed the night out and the post music festivities last night. Today for me, 7 year-old b-day part in our apt with 9 kids. Must lock away all equipment [my new modded cd-25 will be part of the day, and I am quite nervous!]
eek.gif

- walk

Mar 5, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #146 of 246
Hmmmm... I have mixed feelings so far with my new beta c pads. On the positive side the bass and soundstage are improved, but the crystal clear clean sound that I am used to is gone. It's hard to put a finger on exactly what is missing, but I wish it would come back... They kind of have a slight "honky" sound like my senn hd280's have. They sound much better than my senn's, but still there are more similarities now.

However, it will be tough to go back to my quarter modded comfies because these are soooo comfortable!

By the way, I have sr80's, an ra 1 amp and a chaintek 710 soundcard. My listening preference is metal, I am a sucker for anything with a thrashy/crunchy guitars, and the new pads don't do near as well on those. I'll have to give them some more time to see if my ears get used to the new sound. I may even try some eq-ing.

Mar 5, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #147 of 246
carp, EQing probably wont do it - it's not a frequency thing, it's a "airiness" thing that is a fundamental diff tween circumaural and supraaural. Grados out in the air will just be "breathier" and something that closes that air around your ears will at first sound congested or clausterphobic. but that's just the nature of the physics that go along with these pads. after a bit my ears tuned that out, and i heard mids and highs just fine and refined.

Mar 5, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #149 of 246
Ltucci good observation. i just put on my older pads from my beyers (still fresh, just compressed more by now) and i like it. i think as we use the pads, they will only get better as the pads compress.

Mar 5, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #150 of 246
ok, your right about using an eq - that just frustrated me. I did bend the headband to make it tighter and now the bass is even more pronounced! (not a bad thing
lambda.gif
).

I do like the sound, and even as I type this it is sounding better and better - damn I can't emphasize enough how much more I like the bass - this may be bad news for my ears. I already have tinnitus, and these new pads allow you to really crank the volume because they aren't as "bright" (I think I like brightness though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back