C&C Box XO
Apr 6, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #31 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, man, I third. I need you to also start reviewing rental properties in the Boulder area, Skylab. Awfully tough to make up my mind.

LMAO! Can't help you there...

I am just waiting to be able to order a C&C XO, though...I will get one as soon as they come out...

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #32 of 68
I have been listening to C&C XO for the last three days. I have spent quite some time listening to a variety of music from classical to vocal and jazz with a sense of new discovery and better appreciation. It is a fanastic piece of work and it's growing on me. Here is my setup:

iPod 5G (Rockbox) playing FLAC files - > Mini Crystal interconnect - > C&C XO - > AKG K-501

The first thing I have noticed is the superb clarity and transparent sound that comes out from it. It drives K-501 with good authority and precision particularly for classical music. While playing Anna-Sophie Mutter's violine concerto and Rachmainov's, I was amazed by the beautiful mids and highs of piano and violin palying with a good feeling of space and realism of being in a concert hall listening.

C&C XO has a bass extension switch that works very well with K-501 for playing such as jazz and vocal. I must say I am not a kind of bass head person and I don't use it at all while playing Dianna Krall's Live in Paris or other jazz. Compared with SM-IV LE, Diana Krall's Cry me a River has never been so close to my soul before.

Overall, it's a nicely built unit with two lovely green and blue LEDs that match well with the body shape and color when turned on. For the current price range, C&C XO is surely an excellent choice for a portable amp. Here is a picture I borrow from a web site.

ccxobf8.png

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #33 of 68
Greenleaves you wrote:

Code:

Code:
[left]Compared with SM-IV LE, Diana Krall's Cry me a River has never been so close to my soul before.[/left]

I take it you prefer the C&C over your Supermacro IV-LE. What op-amps do you have in the Supermacro IV-LE? Thanks.

Apr 8, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #34 of 68
Hi, mrarroyo:

It's AD8616 the default opamp that came with LE. I haven't tried other opamps yet. I am hoping Xin will finalize his latest design and comes up with an upgrade plan soon for LE. As of now, C&C XO is my favorite that plays particularly well with K-501. However I miss the full and magical bass in LE that C&C has yet to offer.

Apr 8, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #35 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenleaves /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, mrarroyo:

It's AD8616 the default opamp that came with LE. I haven't tried other opamps yet. I am hoping Xin will finalize his latest design and comes up with an upgrade plan soon for LE. As of now, C&C XO is my favorite that plays particularly well with K-501. However I miss the full and magical bass in LE that C&C has yet to offer.

Get an AD8656 and put it in the L/R location. Keep the AD8616 in the 3/4 location and btw no need for buffers with either. IMO the 8616 in 3/4 with the 8656 in L/R bring a more detailed and sweeter sound with a more impactful bass. Good luck.

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #36 of 68
Clarity and transparency is what I am looking for in a good amp. It has to do with the architectural design of the amp circuit, and that is what Xin has been working to improve upon in the SM family ever since its inception. As of now C&C scores better in that regard in my judgment.

Opamp rolling in part gives coloring of music that suits one's taste, thus can be very personal. It may or may not improve upon clarity and transparency of the circuit. I have tried numerous opamps in SM-IV in the past and yet to find a better set that lasts.

Note: The challenge in circuit design for SM-IV that can cater for a wide range of voltage and current requirements of opamp rolling is daunting. It would be impossible without the passion for perfection like what Xin has been doing. Compared with SM-IV, the design for SuperMicro IV and perhaps C&C (without the flexibility of opamp rolling) will likely be much more straight forward and thus could achieve better results. I'm looking forward to what Xin will be offering in the next round of update.

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #37 of 68
Hmm... I never thought that my very first post would be on a tiny can of amp. Anyway, just placed an order. I don't know why but I just did, and I don't even have a decent pair of headphones. It must be the blue LED and shiny surface.

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #38 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xsparc7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... I never thought that my very first post would be on a tiny can of amp. Anyway, just placed an order. I don't know why but I just did, and I don't even have a decent pair of headphones. It must be the blue LED and shiny surface.

I guess you'll soon get a good pair of cans soon.... enjoy!
orphsmile.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #39 of 68
Mine arrived! Super nicely packaged, and it sure is pretty!

Has to go thru 100 hours break in before I really listen to it, though.

In the meantime:

DSC01300.jpg

DSC01301.jpg

DSC01302.jpg

DSC01303.jpg

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine arrived! Super nicely packaged, and it sure is pretty!

Has to go thru 100 hours break in before I really listen to it, though.

I've been looking at getting one of these. How is the build quality? Do you plan on adding it to your Portable Amp Review?

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #41 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking at getting one of these. How is the build quality? Do you plan on adding it to your Portable Amp Review?

Build quality seems good, but not stellar. It's a little light feeling. But it sure is pretty! And yes, I will be adding it to my review.

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #42 of 68
Does it have a battery? From the pictures it seemed like it was desktop only.

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #43 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it have a battery? From the pictures it seemed like it was desktop only.

Yes, built in battery. It's not that big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back