c&c box+ or xm4?
Oct 20, 2007 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

isometrik

New Head-Fier
I'd like to first say hi to everyone here on the forum. I'm a long time lurker first time poster.

I have narrowed down portable amps to two possible choices: the Practical Devices xm4 and the c&c box+. After reading numerous posts and reviews covering both amps I am still undecided. I am looking for an amp to power my Grado sr60s and my etymotic er-6i IEMs out of my 5g 30g ipod via LOD. I'm looking for something ~$100 that will provide good sound through a variety of headphones.

Both amps have been reviewed I haven't really seen them compared side by side. Any idea as to which one I should go for? Thanks.

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 18
I have the C&C box amp and would say that it is an OK amp. I didn't like it all that well with my Etymotic ER-6's, but do like it with my Shure E500's. I have not heard the Practical Devices amp, but it seems to be a little higher rated in the forums than the C&C. It probably doesn't matter too much which one you get because you are likely to get upgradeitis soon anyway.

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 18
XM4 and change the op-amps
biggrin.gif

Someone said, I believe GAD, said that they change drastically when the op-amp is changed to the AD8620.

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenGod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
XM4 and change the op-amps
biggrin.gif

Someone said, I believe GAD, said that they change drastically when the op-amp is changed to the AD8620.

X2 XM4 is a very versatile little amp. great sound too.

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 18
I have an Xm4, an mSeed Spirit, and an Xtra amp.

Of the three, I switch between the MSeed and Xm4 the most. The Xtra I value due to its smaller size.

Currently, I like the Xm4 most. Bass boost is nice, the crossfeed needs improved for the feature to be useful IMO (kills the volume too much). Ordered the optional opamp for the Xm4, so maybe the Xm4 will become a definitive preference over the mSeed. The recharge option for the Xm4 is a major advantage IMO.

BTW, I use HD25-1 and MS1 headphones mostly, with some old Yamaha YH-1 orthos every so often. Source is usually an IAUDIO 7, or an older Panasonic or SONY portable CD player.

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 18
Yeah, looks like I'm leaning toward the xm4. They're made in Toronto where I live too so shipping is pretty cheap. Should I buy the upgraded op-amp with it? Will the sound quality increase? It's only $20 more from their website.

Oct 21, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #11 of 18
You can also roll in the C&C Box+ too. Im not sure what can go in there, but i wonder how it would sound if the Ad8620 can also be put in there?

Oct 21, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weird, I got *less* bass with the AD8620 opamp. Maybe I need to go test it again.

let yourself adjust...

Oct 21, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weird, I got *less* bass with the AD8620 opamp. Maybe I need to go test it again.

It's not weird at all, this is how AD8620 sounds. Read some reviews here and at Tangent's site. Your oppinion of it is very valid. AD8620 is quite neutral, detailed and have a very good soundstage but is a bit lean, grainy and harsh. OPA2134 is overly bassy, veiled and the soundstage is very narrow, but it has a warm and kind of pleasing sound signature.

Why not try AD8066. It's cheaper and most people seem to prefer it to AD8620. It's less grainy and has more bass slam. The downside is a bit of absence of mids if you like a warm sound signature. It's a bit bright as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back