C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Feb 14, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #691 of 3,421
Just ordered from polychen can't wait to get them. How long should I expect to wait? Also which Fiio LOD should I get with my iphone 4?

Its Chinese new year there.

I ordered mine last week Friday and just waiting for the 18th now so it can be shipped.

The good thing is is that pollychen said to me they will use DHL shipping for all the outstanding orders. Which takes 2-5 days.

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #692 of 3,421
pollychen is very reputable seller, i ordered my C&C and cable from him and was very happy with his service and responsiveness as well. highly recommended. nicely packaged and everything as promised. my pack took nearly 10 calendar days to arrive but i am Europe based and suspect it could had taken some time at our customs to clear my pack, they are damn slow sometimes.

congrats on your order :)

i am now listening to C&C + C3 via  Musical Fidelity IEMs and this so lucid and nice. while some people complain about lacking bass i cannot agree with them. for me bass has good quantity and quality, this is not earth shaking but is pretty good at details and immediacy. i suspect adding more bass can also destroy this detailing signature. what C&C does it gives a huge stage and makes bass not only listenable but also kind of felt... you really get the sense of air and space so well with this.

i still owe a test of double amping C&C with ZO but doubt it would give good result because ZO is more prone to hissing and i am afraid this will come out more in double amping. for me C&C alone does everything so right that i cannot ask for more especially at this price level. i am glad i took H20 advice and went straight to the bank. C&C is like hitting a jack-pot from the first attempt.
L3000.gif

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #693 of 3,421
Just got a set of Grado SR 325i cans. Pre burn in, the C&C is definitely adding clarity to these headphones, and has plenty of power to drive them. I'll have to report on my findings as the Grados mature. And what a difference between these and the SR 80s! 

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #694 of 3,421
All i have to say is that this little amp coupled with etymotic er4p is a benchmark portable rig. Putting them in the B circuit turns them into the un compromised S cersion for a truly flat frequency response and clarity that is out of this world. You can tell the LH and SF switch are made for the etys as they are much more subtle and tuned adjustments. Seriously check them out guys.

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #695 of 3,421
I have an amplifier here atm from Rhapsodio which was included in the RDB+ tour I'm involved in.. they call it P&D Amp-k Pro..

It cost $250

Specs can be found here: http://rhapsodio-cmw.com/?p=1281

Today I had a chance to test the amp briefly beside C&C BH.

As you can see it's somewhat large, probably more suited for desk top enviroments, runs on x2 - 9v battery's which is claimed to get you 20 hours run time. It's very simplified next to something like C&C BH's features offering only a power switch, input / output and volume pot, I guess what matters is how it sounds. Because the amp doesn't have any switches or bass boost C&C BH has been disabled in low gain mode with both LF and SF switches off. Output1 was used and Rhapsodio's RDB+ Hybrid.

Sound

The Amp-K Pro leans a touch more towards warmth than BH with slightly forward mid range, the low end is meatier, more prominent and can become a touch excessive on some songs for my preferences, but the mids do a good job of pulling through on top., I guess with no bass boost switch Amp-k has been tuned to please the majority of people who enjoy a full low end. The forward mids tends to jump out at you more so than BH with also better detailing levels and slightly more aggressive micro detail.

Where I am having problems making the most of Amp-k Pro is it doesn't sound as refined, I can certainly sense the music, but not much of a black space behind that, there's no backdrop I've been able to pick up yet. In terms of clarity they're about even, if I had to say one has more it would be Amp-k Pro, C&C BH would really need it's LF switch on to take any full prizes there. But the main thing here I sensed was the Amp-k didn't sound as smooth there was some grain I could pick up in the mid range. I will also note there is channel imbalance which prevented me using the amp with IEM's at very lower volumes, that maybe a problem for some people.

I've only listened to the amp briefly, not one amp wins here, this is just a mini sample of my discovery. I guess when BH gets 80 a charge, much smaller, doesn't need x2 - 9v batteries seems the logical solution however, I haven't been able to try any full size headphones with Amp-k, which it seems geared towards. I would need to spend more time with it alone without switching between both to understand what's it's trying to say..

It often takes more than a few days to grasp what a piece of audio gear is trying to tell you,, for that reason I'm keeping this very short. I'll be honest, I dislike devices that require battery's, especially ones that need to be replaced or charged every 20 hours. I understand 9v's are the best way to get good power to an amp but far from my favourite alternative enjoying this audio hobby, but the Amp-k Pro regardless does show good signs of potential.

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #696 of 3,421
wow H20, seems you are still on the mission 
atsmile.gif

seriously, i love BH a lot... space, air, lucidity, to name a few.

let me tell something. coming from acoustical background and having played in my school music band i am familiar with how instruments really sound. my love is for acoustic piano. so my testing often goes very simple. first of all i prefer body in the sound, there must be no artificial spicing and god save us from hearing thin sound... but but... you know, for me ultimate test is all about the LAST NOTE hanging in the air. imagine at the end of song you hit a string on your bass guitar or you hit a lower octave key on acoustic piano and stop and then you hear how the last note is hanging in the air, reverberating and dying out slowly into dead silence. while BH is not perfect this little gem can resemble at least some sort of the last note hanging... so how is K Pro about this? is the last note factor good enough? if not, throw this away. higher price demands higher end sound 
darthsmile.gif

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #697 of 3,421
another highly praised amp is Leckerton. did anyone of you had experience with it? http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-4/

i really wonder if C3+BH combo is a holly grail of sane audiophiles (those who do not like paying mega tons for a gadget unlike sound is really worth it). and i very much recommend trying Musical Fidelity EB50 with this combo. MF is not bass IEM but what it does is incredible.... space, articulation, nicely layered sound and no coloration, genuine flat curve.

btw, if you ever can listen to MBL systems at some show or shop go and do it.... MBL is my most favorite gear for bringing life like performance sound to your home. problem is MBL costs mega bucks and cheapest system is 40-50K... so i am still saving :)))
http://www.mbl.de/en/

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #698 of 3,421
wow H20, seems you are still on the mission :atsmile:

seriously, i love BH a lot... space, air, lucidity, to name a few.

let me tell something. coming from acoustical background and having played in my school music band i am familiar with how instruments really sound. my love is for acoustic piano. so my testing often goes very simple. first of all i prefer body in the sound, there must be no artificial spicing and god save us from hearing thin sound... but but... you know, for me ultimate test is all about the LAST NOTE hanging in the air. imagine at the end of song you hit a string on your bass guitar or you hit a lower octave key on acoustic piano and stop and then you hear how the last note is hanging in the air, reverberating and dying out slowly into dead silence. while BH is not perfect this little gem can resemble at least some sort of the last note hanging... so how is K Pro about this? is the last note factor good enough? if not, throw this away. higher price demands higher end sound :darthsmile:

I think you're talking about decay, I would need to test them further to give a positive answer but yes, the K-Pro had better decay just having a quick listen with some acoustic genre's but it's as not smooth, doesn't seem to flow as nicely, less clean sounding. If you want good decay then I highly recommend Rockit R-50. the mid range and micro detail decay on those goes for miles with the BH. You can almost play a game, seeing how long you can trace it for.

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #699 of 3,421
Less than a week till I get mine, hopefully.

Cant wait! Getting tired of the E11 running out of juice all time. :frowning2:

Feb 15, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #700 of 3,421
H20, i see... and trust your findings. what i am keeping asking myself is it really worth the price? BH suggested to me by you works magics so the amp that costs nearly 3 times more must be at least twice better than BH for me.

btw, you know what, after hearing my BH amp my daughter now wants the same gadget for her players, so there is a good chance i will be getting a second BH for her. so your BH is emptying my pockets dear friend
blink.gif

darthsmile.gif

Feb 15, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #701 of 3,421
H20, i see... and trust your findings. what i am keeping asking myself is it really worth the price? BH suggested to me by you works magics so the amp that costs nearly 3 times more must be at least twice better than BH for me.

btw, you know what, after hearing my BH amp my daughter now wants the same gadget for her players, so there is a good chance i will be getting a second BH for her. so your BH is emptying my pockets dear friend :blink:  :darthsmile:

It is hard going back to headphone out after using BH I agree,, I keep saying it's a cool little investment, especially for only 100 bones. Looks like I may be using my C3 / BH combo for a while, my CK4 has run into spot of trouble with a broken button and needs to go back to China for warranty, pretty gutted to be honest, it's my best source. :rolleyes:

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #702 of 3,421
i am listening to Pink Floyd's shine on your crazy diamond on my C3+BH+MF...velvet voices, crisp guitar riffs, airy bass, great soundstage and level of space detailing. OMG i can only hope Amp-K Pro will be not good enough... H20, you are a Hifi-er seducer, please tell me K pro and RDB+ not good enough, or i am about to lose my sleep 
devil_face.gif

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #703 of 3,421
Quote:
i am listening to Pink Floyd's shine on your crazy diamond on my C3+BH+MF...velvet voices, crisp guitar riffs, airy bass, great soundstage and level of space detailing. OMG i can only hope Amp-K Pro will be not good enough... H20, you are a Hifi-er seducer, please tell me K pro and RDB+ not good enough, or i am about to lose my sleep 
devil_face.gif

It's like getting smooth, melted butter poured into your ears when listening to Pink Floyd with the BH
redface.gif
it's lovely.

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #705 of 3,421
Can anyone weigh in and tell me how trance sounds on this amp? Any trance lovers out there? 
beyersmile.png

Some awesome mixes are here:
http://soundcloud.com/liftedandreas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back