C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Jul 21, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #3,271 of 3,421
  I already have c&c bh2 and i love it and i'm thinking of getting O2 JDS LABS amp . Is it far superior than c&c bh and i will be very impressed to justify the cash ? As i understand o2 will be more neutral and will have short battery life . 

At one time I was looking at getting the JDS Labs C5, but I decided to get the C&C BH instead, and so far I have been very happy. I was wondering the exact same thing as you were (if the cost-to-performance ratio was worth the extra money for the C5), and from the research that I did, it was very subjective. Some people still seemed to like the C&C BH better, while others felt that the C5 was better. The biggest game-changer for me was the battery life. 50+ hours (C&C BH) vs. 10 hours (C5), pretty much sealed the deal and steered me towards the C&C BH. 

Here is a quick review from miceblue425 where he compares the C&C BH to some other amps, including the O2 that you are looking to purchase. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i8FfTRISuo

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #3,272 of 3,421
I can tell you the BH sounds quite a bit coloured compared to an O2, especially with any switches engaged. The O2 was great clean, neutral and basically invisible between your headphone and source, though if I had to label a sound on it - it was a little thin sounding and lacked some bass impact fractionally., but with good soundstage, detail and separation. In the end I went with Schiit Magni instead. (Desktop amp) . One thing luring me back to BH is it's soundstage width and imaging, I don't so much mind my C421 having more raw detail as they're rather opposite each other. BH being coloured, C421 clean and transparent.

Thanks for the info h20fidelity . So know you triggered my interest for schiit magni which costs even less than o2 and is at the same price with c&c . Could you please give me some more details about this amp and how does it compare to the portable c&c bh or the o2 ?

Basically what i'm searching for is the most neutral amp preferably portable/transportable i can get and O2 seems to be the most neutral from the reviews

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #3,273 of 3,421

At one time I was looking at getting the JDS Labs C5, but I decided to get the C&C BH instead, and so far I have been very happy. I was wondering the exact same thing as you were (if the cost-to-performance ratio was worth the extra money for the C5), and from the research that I did, it was very subjective. Some people still seemed to like the C&C BH better, while others felt that the C5 was better. The biggest game-changer for me was the battery life. 50+ hours (C&C BH) vs. 10 hours (C5), pretty much sealed the deal and steered me towards the C&C BH. 

Here is a quick review from miceblue425 where he compares the C&C BH to some other amps, including the O2 that you are looking to purchase. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i8FfTRISuo

I did a comparison many many months ago between JDS C5 and C&C BH, just a couple of posts. One thing the C5 has over BH is better refinement in the mid-range, it noticebly jumps out at you, like a stiffer back bone to vocals and instruments (better posture) can make the BH sound a little blurry or confused at times during busy passages. BH still has the upper hand in soundstage width and clarity. 

Found it for you: http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review/3045#post_10136130

Goes on for a few posts.

Thanks for the info h20fidelity . So know you triggered my interest for schiit magni which costs even less than o2 and is at the same price with c&c . Could you please give me some more details about this amp and how does it compare to the portable c&c bh or the o2 ?

Basically what i'm searching for is the most neutral amp preferably portable/transportable i can get and O2 seems to be the most neutral from the reviews

What won me over with Magni was it's raw power to drive DT880 250ohm, It was clearly obvious more power I had on tap compared to O2. With Magni I'd only need about 12:00 on the volume dial with DT880, whereas with O2 in low gain I was near maxing the volume at least to 3:00. Another thing that broke the deal with O2 is when I used my Aune T1 line out and set my volume to full in Foobar I would get unwanted distortion with O2 in high gain, (not all sources will do this to O2).

When I lifted the volume with Magni I'd simply get more raw detail in the upper-mids, better bass impact. Magni's rather bright and a little aggressive sounding with separation that can compete with an O2 and more detail than BH.

I remember owning the O2 a week (if that) then hearing Magni, within 24 hours my O2 was for sale.

Keep in mind though personal preferences and all the bizz.

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #3,274 of 3,421

I did a comparison many many months ago between JDS C5 and C&C BH, just a couple of posts. One thing the C5 has over BH is better refinement in the mid-range, it noticebly jumps out at you, like a stiffer back bone to vocals and instruments (better posture) can make the BH sound a little blurry or confused at times during busy passages. BH still has the upper hand in soundstage width and clarity. 

Found it for you: http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review/3045#post_10136130

Goes on for a few posts.

What won me over with Magni was it's raw power to drive DT880 250ohm, It was clearly obvious more power I had on tap compared to O2. With Magni I'd only need about 12:00 on the volume dial with DT880, whereas with O2 in low gain I was near maxing the volume at least to 3:00. Another thing that broke the deal with O2 is when I used my Aune T1 line out and set my volume to full in Foobar I would get unwanted distortion with O2 in high gain, (not all sources will do this to O2).

When I lifted the volume with Magni I'd simply get more raw detail in the upper-mids, better bass impact. Magni's rather bright and a little aggressive sounding with separation that can compete with an O2 and more detail than BH.

I remember owning the O2 a week (if that) then hearing Magni, within 24 hours my O2 was for sale.

Keep in mind though personal preferences and all the bizz.

Thanks for the info. I will have to think about it considering that i want the amp to be transportable/portable and o2 looks really bulky. My other consideration would be Mini3 which seem to be very neutral as well but it is difficult to find a place to buy it . 

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #3,275 of 3,421
I can tell you the BH sounds quite a bit coloured compared to an O2, especially with any switches engaged. The O2 was great clean, neutral and basically invisible between your headphone and source, though if I had to label a sound on it - it was a little thin sounding and lacked some bass impact fractionally., but with good soundstage, detail and separation. In the end I went with Schiit Magni instead. (Desktop amp) . One thing luring me back to BH is it's soundstage width and imaging, I don't so much mind my C421 having more raw detail as they're rather opposite each other. BH being coloured, C421 clean and transparent.

Exactly correct on every word on the BH2, I have found the same thing to be true. All switches off sound best especially if the headphones already are bassy or already have a "full" sound to them. It also sounds cleaner when on low gain and opened up on the volume all the way.

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #3,277 of 3,421
Come to think about it, I don't remember the last time I use any of the switch. Plug and play and be lost.

Same here, except that I don't remember the last time I had any of the switches turned off lol! I try to go switchless, but always get drawn back into switch mode :)

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #3,278 of 3,421
Same here, except that I don't remember the last time I had any of the switches turned off lol! I try to go switchless, but always get drawn back into switch mode :)

Which ever floats your boat waynes :blush:. That's the beauty of this little amp. Sounds great for the money plus features to satisfy many and an insane battery life.

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #3,279 of 3,421
I always have at least the soundstage switch on since it gives better soundstage , but with my pk1 the bass boost is too much for my taste most of the times , although i do use it with my tenores to add some bass. 

I have ordered the EPH-02 amplifier i can't wait for it to arrive . I was tempted to get the magni as h20fidelity suggested but the neutrality of eph-02 win me over it and since i will be using it for mostly IEMS and earbuds and so more power won't be needed. So the eph-02 and jds labs objective o2 are basically build the same and sound the same?

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #3,280 of 3,421
i searched the different about c&c bk and bh2. but did not found yet.

i wanna buy 1 of those, between bk or bh2.
bk is more cheaper. so, i wanna know about the real soundsig difference. 

can anyone help me? 
btw, i used colorfly c3 and yuin pk3

thanks before

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #3,281 of 3,421

can anyone help me? 

thanks before

The only difference between the BK and the BH2 is that the BH2 has a removable replaceable battery whereas the BK does not per say as it's soldered onto the board. I'm sure you can still open it and remove it and solder in a new one. There should be no sound difference as nothing else what done or changed between the two.

If you click on my signature C&C BH2 it will take you to my review that has more details about the BH2 in one place than most places.

Peace.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #3,282 of 3,421

can anyone help me? 

thanks before

http://www.head-fi.org/t/648382/c-c-bh-vs-c-c-bk

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #3,283 of 3,421
For the price difference, the BH2 is better as you will use it so much that you will drain the battery and eventually need to replace it sometime down the road.

It's better to get the newer version. Also it's stated that "C&C BH2 and C&C BK differences:C&C BK for the C&C BOX + alternative, lower noise, drive level current and control better. C&C BH2 and BK look the same, BH2 as BK enhanced version, stronger frame, more fever cases." <whatever fever cases means?

Peace.

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #3,284 of 3,421
Still no recent XO2 impressions I see. Maybe one day...

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #3,285 of 3,421
Still no recent XO2 impressions I see. Maybe one day...

It's just too expensive to be running around taking a sample on, we did try to get a unit and review it, but even getting hold of C&C themselves seems impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back