C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Aug 9, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #3,407 of 3,421
JDS Labs C5 or iBasso D Zero MK2 would probably be my preferred options.

C&C the company are basically extinct last I heard. They're no more.

Very ungrateful of them considering we basically made them famous to the Western World...
wink.gif

I have the D Zero MK2 and it is fantastic with the C3.

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #3,408 of 3,421
I was stupid enough to break the amp while modifying it. Miss it.

EDIT: Found C&C BH locally. Perfect synergy with my Meizu MX4Pro (ESS9018 DAC), makes the sound less "digital" and less dry :) and the SF switch is still fantastic with my new MaGaoisi K1 IEMs

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #3,409 of 3,421
  I was stupid enough to break the amp while modifying it. Miss it.

EDIT: Found C&C BH locally. Perfect synergy with my Meizu MX4Pro (ESS9018 DAC), makes the sound less "digital" and less dry :) and the SF switch is still fantastic with my new MaGaoisi K1 IEMs

@docentore , where did you find your C&C BH? Does anyone know a way to buy one, used or new??? It's exactly what i'm looking for, but it seems that i arrived late..

Thanks in advance for any answer

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #3,411 of 3,421
It's such a shame this little amp is no longer made.
Great sound and good power, tiny footprint, loads of features and the battery! OMG, I dug mine out the other day, it had been neglected for 10 months so I slapped it to an old iPod and fired it up without even introducing it to a charge, and hey presto it was still going strong. I got 4 hours of music listening and it still wasn't dead. And yes, that SF switch can do wonders with the right phones.
I'll never let go of this little fella.

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #3,412 of 3,421
  @docentore , where did you find your C&C BH? Does anyone know a way to buy one, used or new??? It's exactly what i'm looking for, but it seems that i arrived late..

Thanks in advance for any answer

Found it locally in Ireland, bought it from one members of another forum. I might be selling mine, had another blast but my baby boy is due any day now and need to save money for nappies :)
PM me if interested, located in EU, Ireland

Aug 10, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #3,414 of 3,421
It's such a shame this little amp is no longer made.
Great sound and good power, tiny footprint, loads of features and the battery! OMG, I dug mine out the other day, it had been neglected for 10 months so I slapped it to an old iPod and fired it up without even introducing it to a charge, and hey presto it was still going strong. I got 4 hours of music listening and it still wasn't dead. And yes, that SF switch can do wonders with the right phones.
I'll never let go of this little fella.

A bit of necro-posting on my part here for no other reason than to agree with everything you mentioned. Mine's the older "BK" version, and it has been used for all sorts of purposes over the years, even lived in the car (below-freezing to far-too-hot for 3 or so years). The 6 months or so I brought it inside and started using it again for its intended purpose. I still get about 4 or 5 hours out the battery somehow (it's 7 years old). It strips away a tiny bit of detail for some music, phone/dac depending, but I often like that. Has an almost tube-like warmth to its delivery. Such a cool (and cheap) little thing it was (and is).

20200728_102131_HDR.jpg

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #3,416 of 3,421
I easily have the world record for using this thing. Initially, I wasn't a big fan and had issues with weird noise and it cutting off, so never used it on the go, but it's been part of my work rig for years and I've at least 20k hours (might be 30) on mine and still haven't changed the battery or anything.

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #3,417 of 3,421
I easily have the world record for using this thing. Initially, I wasn't a big fan and had issues with weird noise and it cutting off, so never used it on the go, but it's been part of my work rig for years and I've at least 20k hours (might be 30) on mine and still haven't changed the battery or anything.

Know of anyone around these parts that has opened it and sourced/replaced the batt cell? I've never gone inside the thing but don't imagine it's complicated.

For several years I even used this thing as a jack-of-all-trades, putting wherever I needed in-line gain control and simple shaping in signal chains while I was doing guerilla/budget webcasting (often on location) for a small tech company. Sometimes I'd use outputs, as part of a feed, or a loop, or just a quick monitoring spot for my cans. Was always reliable. Then when the gig wrapped it'd become my personal tunes amp again.

Aug 14, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #3,418 of 3,421
Know of anyone around these parts that has opened it and sourced/replaced the batt cell? I've never gone inside the thing but don't imagine it's complicated.

For several years I even used this thing as a jack-of-all-trades, putting wherever I needed in-line gain control and simple shaping in signal chains while I was doing guerilla/budget webcasting (often on location) for a small tech company. Sometimes I'd use outputs, as part of a feed, or a loop, or just a quick monitoring spot for my cans. Was always reliable. Then when the gig wrapped it'd become my personal tunes amp again.

Depends if you have the first version or second. Later is easier as its old Nokia 5M cell battery - should be easy to find, with the first you need to solder 3 wires.
I did hella lot of modding on the first one I had, it was 2nd generation. This included changing charging pumps so op-amps had more power, changed op-amps etc. But after one of mods it just didn't survived.
(Have a look here)
The one I have now is still going strong, its 1st gen. Haven't modded it in any way.

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #3,419 of 3,421
Depends if you have the first version or second. Later is easier as its old Nokia 5M cell battery - should be easy to find, with the first you need to solder 3 wires.
I did hella lot of modding on the first one I had, it was 2nd generation. This included changing charging pumps so op-amps had more power, changed op-amps etc. But after one of mods it just didn't survived.
(Have a look here)
The one I have now is still going strong, its 1st gen. Haven't modded it in any way.
That's great. Thanks - though it looks like your link didn't make it.
I ought run mine down and see how much life that batt really has left. Mine's BK version - I was never entirely clear on which was which but IIRC that was the first/earlier version yeah?

Aug 17, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #3,420 of 3,421
That's great. Thanks - though it looks like your link didn't make it.
I ought run mine down and see how much life that batt really has left. Mine's BK version - I was never entirely clear on which was which but IIRC that was the first/earlier version yeah?
Look at page 183. But to be sure you need to open it. just need small hex screwdriver.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back