Bypassing/Enhancing the ears - how far off are we?
Mar 6, 2009 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

m0ofassa

Banned
Simple enough. Post thoughts on ETA and pros/cons.

[size=xx-small]for those who want an explanation of what I mean. Extending the range of human hearing to say 1-50khz or feeding "sound" straight to the brain[/size]

popcorn.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What sounds after 20,000khz would even be interesting to us??

The same ones that are interesting under 20khz.

In answer to the OP, I know there are implants deaf people can get which feed sound directly into the nerves going into their brain, but I think the quality is not so good yet. It's apparently improving, but nowhere near natural hearing last I checked, which was a couple of years ago.

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The same ones that are interesting under 20khz.

In answer to the OP, I know there are implants deaf people can get which feed sound directly into the nerves going into their brain, but I think the quality is not so good yet. It's apparently improving, but nowhere near natural hearing last I checked, which was a couple of years ago.

yeah, I mean in a way that is competative in SQ to say... mid-fi headphones (though not in price)

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about something that enhances the brain's perception of music?
wink.gif

like what? mastering properly? jk, what sort of thing do you have in your head when you say that?
edit: although, the "dont fix what aint broke" thing comes to mind... people these days are getting more and more hearing damage - particularly with the rise of the mp3 player to popularity, so I think the ears are probably the most logical thing to look at.

Mar 6, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
like what? mastering properly? jk, what sort of thing do you have in your head when you say that?

el es dee ?

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #11 of 22
I've heard or a disorder that means the person actually can see sound. I don't know if this is improves their enjoyment of music or not I just use visualisations
bigsmile_face.gif

On the other hand reenginerring or creating a brain direct method of audio perception really defeats the purpose unless it necessary for medical reasons.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #12 of 22
Synesthesia @ oublie. It's not really an enjoyment enhancer. I read somewhere that everyone has an element of synesthesia, but at vastly varying degrees. I feel/experience colours, but I dont physically see them. Oh well, maybe next time
tongue.gif

edit: as for being futile. If done well you could have louder music without the risk of damaging the ears. But with that comes the risk of surge and brain damage etc, but who knows what the future will bring. I'm happy I am still young just to see where it goes from here.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 22
It is pretty scary to think of all the things that we might be able to hear if our hearing would extend higher and lower.
ph34r.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 22
Heh that would be pretty nifty to be able to just have something beam the music/images to your brain. Probably will happen in the next 30 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back