Bybees?
Feb 7, 2006 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Akathriel

500+ Head-Fier
Anybody got experience with these? 6moons said some people like them and some people don't but they barely touched on what it is people like about these filters and what isn't likeable about them.

Feb 7, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel
Anybody got experience with these? 6moons said some people like them and some people don't but they barely touched on what it is people like about these filters and what isn't likeable about them.

Audio guru John Curl indicates that they clean up the sound through some sort of quantum magic (you might search diyaudio.com). What isn't likeable is that, unless they make an improvement, they are expensive (try PercyAudio.com).

-

Just revisted PercyAudio. Page 23 (of 24) of the PDF has Bybees. Guess $83 a piece isn't extremely expensive... I recommend Percy Audio for audio components.

I think there was brief mention about them here at head-fi. Try the search function.

Feb 7, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier
Audio guru John Curl indicates that they clean up the sound through some sort of quantum magic

quantum mechanics is a very well understood subject (if it wasn't your computer wouldn't work), so i would like to see an explanation of the supposed effect. i doubt that one will ever be forthcoming, but i know a couple physicists who i could run it by if one is ever released.

Feb 7, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
quantum mechanics is a very well understood subject (if it wasn't your computer wouldn't work), so i would like to see an explanation of the supposed effect. i doubt that one will ever be forthcoming, but i know a couple physicists who i could run it by if one is ever released.

Just a little digression here but, quantum computing is no where near invented, let alone used in modern day computers.
-g

Feb 7, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks

Yep, today they can fit 1 billion transistors in less than 1 square inch. And sure, I happen to work with a few physicists and scientists myself. The audibility of expensive wires usually brings a quick smirk. The one comment was that if anyone could explain how wire can make an audible difference, they deserve a Nobel Peace Prize.

Feb 7, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsteinb88
Just a little digression here but, quantum computing is no where near invented, let alone used in modern day computers.
-g

i never said it was. computers work through the transmission and manipulation of electrons, however, and the last time i checked electrons were firmly within the domain of the quantum. in the most literal sense, all computing is quantum; the motion of electrons is determined by quantum forces. "quantum computing", in the manner you mean, is computing using qubits, and it has been "invented", to a very limited extent.

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel

Some people don't like what Bybees do in analogue signal path, such as interconnects and speaker cable. The most commonly heard complaint is that treble extension/quantity is shelved down a little, leading to more midrange-centric, fuller sound, at the cost of treble air/detail.

It's my opinion that Bybees work very well when used judiciously in series with incoming power, such as in series at the IEC power inlet or in power conditioners. In such applications, Bybees really gives you a quiet, velvety black background. Some people also swear by Bybees in digital cable applications as well.

Feb 7, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by omedon
You can make your own on the cheap ~$5-20

They look REALLY simple to make. There is a recipe over on audiotweaks.com

<3 audiotweaks, which article are you talking about?

Feb 7, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #13 of 21
After a big discussion on this topic on madisound forum, samples were sent out and 4 people could not hear a difference (including speaker designer Dennis Murphy) while one person could hear slight differences and one person being totally convinced. A lot of people on audioasylum seem to like the Bybees.

So much for empirical evidence. As for the theory behind it, the detailed technology behind bybee is classified information. Insert whatever cynical remark here.

The superficial technical explanations on the bybee website pertaining quantum noise and the regulation thereof are very entertaining but hold little value. "Quantum noise energy is stripped off the electrons [which then dissipates as heat] or "increasing signal velocity" just give two examples.

The old ads claimed that the quantum purifier also cures impedance mismatches. I wonder how, being non-reactive and having no impedance to speak of.

The older Bybees were also a potential fire hazard.

But hey, if it works, that's cool. Companies like Modwright and Boldercables are convinced of Bybees. But even if there is a difference, I doubt the price will hardly meet the benefit - juding by the mixed reports and the high price. I simply have neither the wit nor the money to try out all the dubious tweaks in existence, and the Bybee ranks very high up there along with the clever clock and rainbow foil in the "most dubious" - category.

Feb 7, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Some people don't like what Bybees do in analogue signal path, such as interconnects and speaker cable. The most commonly heard complaint is that treble extension/quantity is shelved down a little, leading to more midrange-centric, fuller sound, at the cost of treble air/detail.

It's my opinion that Bybees work very well when used judiciously in series with incoming power, such as in series at the IEC power inlet or in power conditioners. In such applications, Bybees really gives you a quiet, velvety black background. Some people also swear by Bybees in digital cable applications as well.

My findings concur with Jon L's exactly. I have had Bybee's in line level "bullets" and, while they did improve midrange "focus" and transparency, did indeed seem to slightly roll off the treble a bit.

I own a Bybee Power Purifier AC unit, and that does amazing things for the AC.

Feb 7, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #15 of 21
A post on the AVS forum from over a year ago:

Quote:

rick e
11-15-04, 01:41 PM

I'm posting this here since there was a question recently regarding the devices.

I'm not posting this as an endorsement nor to, I hope, violate Mr Bybee's property rights.

Hopefull this will shed some light on the product, but I doubt it.

Some time ago I bought 28 bybee devices in a power buy with Steve Bruzonsky. It was a mix of large and small devices.
I recently sent in my 4 amps to my designer/builder for some work. I also sent along the bybee devices after I had them cryoed.
I've decided to withhold the identity of my amp guy but suffice to say he holds numerous patents, advanced degrees and i've been working with him for about 20 years now. One of his main claims to fame is that he solved a major problem the chip manufacturing industry was having recently in manufacturing the latest chips. I'm not a physicist, but if I remember right the small size of the circuit traces were so small that molecular vibrations were lowering the accuracy of the manufacturing process. Unfortunately I lost the email in which he described this in a virus crash. Apparently much of what he was involved in has applications to audio. He also produced a terrific amp whose design was shown to a major amp manufacturer about 15 years ago. The amp company passed on him but produced a similar design shortly thereafter.

Anyway... Here's a slightly altered email he sent me

"Hey Rick,

I received you package. I went to the DIY Bybe link as you suggested. I dissassembled the undipped high current device, removing the copper endcaps. The device consists of a .0125 ohm resistor located inside of a ceramic tube that has been electro plated on the outside to act as a contact to deposit a film on and to be able to solder the copper endcaps too. The two ends of the tube/contact surface are isolated from each other. A black conductive film is deposited between the ends; over the two isolated contact surfaces. The film has a DC resistance of approximately 10 ohms. I haven't, will tomorrow, gotten a look at the black film under a high mag scope, but Im curious as to what it might be... Basically this is a filter. I'm going to see what it does by feeding it with white noise at different DC current levels and see what effect it might have in the audible bandwidth. I can hook them up in the best implementation as suggested on the Bybee site in the Amp. The only place I might have an issue with is the input signal ground. Depending on what I see when I test the device, I might not want to insert it there."

Here's email #2

"Rick,

I got the Amp finished yesterday and back into the system last
night... Very interesting, in fact I was quite surprised by it. I
won't go into what I'm hearing until I've listened more, and maybe you
don't want to hear the ending until you've listened yourself, your call
there. I will say the effect is not subtle and on first listen,
positive and perceptible at both low and high levels.

I installed 2 HC devices on the power mains going into the transformer,
4 HCs on the DC rails to the output stages, 4 LC devices to the
front-end DC power, 2 LC devices the inputs to the drive boards, and 2
HC devices to the amp outputs. None in either the input or output
grounds. The fit and finish of the install is excellent and it was
interesting doing this again. I took pictures of the work and can send
you a picture of the finished chimney if you don't mind an 800K Jpg file
filling your inbox. The rest I'll dump onto a CD and send along with
the amp when it returns.

I did get a look at it under a microscope. Basically it looks like a
ceramic tube with a plating applied that makes the tube conductive and
allows solder to flow where the end-caps are attached on either end of
the tube. A .0125 ohm 5-watt resistor is located inside the tube with
its leads extending through (and soldered to) the copper end caps that
are also soldered to the ends of the ceramic tube as just described;
standard stuff for military electronics construction. This conductive
coating on the tube does not extend from end to end of the tube, but
definitely makes connection to the first layer of film. There appears
to be three film coatings deposited on the outside of the tube. The
first is a thin black film, the second is a heavier more textured film
and there appears to be a clear coat on top. The different layers are
discernable under magnification when looking at the edges of the coated
area. I'll assume that it's difficult and not necessary to apply the
films with higher precision.
The resistance from one end to the other (without the resistor inside
connected from) is 10.9 ohms. I can read a direct connection from one
edge to the first conductive layer and checking between two points shows
this layer to be low resistance. Checking the resistance from the
solder on the tube ends to the second layer gives a reading of
approximately 13 ohms and it is pretty consistent across the length of
the coated area. The clear coat is (I believe non conductive) thinner
one end and it's easier to get a reading through it compared to the
thicker end. This is probably due to the way the coating is applied,
not part of the device operation.

So to summarize, we have a low value resistor (1/100th the value of the
film) parallel by a film of unknown makeup, deposited on top of a low
resistance conductive film with a protective coat applied; kind of like
the plates in a capacitor, only conductive. A piece of Teflon film is
glued to the outside as protection. It appears that a portion (1% ?) of
the signal passing through the resistor is shunted through this film. A
better understanding would help when determining how and where to apply
the devices.

I don't mind you sharing my thoughts, although I'd wouldn't want to get
Mr Bybee thinking I'm trying to reverse engineer and steal his device.
I would be more interested in seeing him develop smaller devices for
lower current applications and small signal applications to apply in the
signal path. I'm a bit confused with the contention that one design
works equally well for DC supplies, AC supplies and small and large
signal applications, with the only differentiation being the max
current, which is based on the leads melting. My guess is that the
devices could be customized to the signal level and the circuit
application conditions."

Food for thought and debate

Rick

ps
if anyone thinks i'm violating of Mr Bybee's rights here I'll immediately remove this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back