Buzzing noise in Beyerdynamic DT770Pro fix?
Jan 7, 2013 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Callmeclunky

New Head-Fier
I own a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770Pro's, and I think they're awesome. But lately, I've noticed an annoying buzzing sound coming from the right ear cup during low frequencies. I tested it from different sources and on different phones, and the problem appears to be coming from the Beyer's.

I did as many suggested, and opened up the ear cup to see if there was a piece of hair in there. But when I finally arrived at the paper that covers the driver (is it paper?), I noticed a small hole in it, which almost looks like a puncture hole. 

Is this hole normal? It's not the large one in the middle, it's a much smaller hole in the top right.

I'm worried that this may be the cause of my buzzing, and I'll need to send it in for service.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 6
The hole probably isn't your problem. The driver enclosure under the foam is huge, but the driver itself is about the size of a silver dollar, it only fills the very center of the headphone so it's unlikely anything poked your driver.

I bet you wear your hair short or keep a beard don't you...

I have the DT880's and I developed the exact problem you are describing. Long story short, I keep my hair cropped pretty short which means what hair does make it's way into my earpads is short and stiff. Somehow, hair from my head had worked it's way through that 1/4" thick felt pad that protects the driver.

I performed open heart surgery  and found several hairs poking through the felt and touching the driver but even worse, some of the hairs were STUCK to the driver! It had friction welded my hair to the surface of the transducer.

A little delicate tweezer work and a few heart attacks trying to get wrinkles out of the membrane, and they are as good as new now and I make it a monthly thing to remove all hair from the foam inserts so it doesn't get that bad again.

The material the driver is made out of is very thin, very delicate, but it's also soft and flexible, like some kind of vinyl. If this is the problem you have, I recommend you buy non metal tweezers for getting the hairs off the driver, I had my metalic ones smack into the magnet several times nearly making me feint, but no damage and they have been fine for a year and a half now.

It's either that, or you have a wrinkle in the surface of the driver. This can be fixed by gently using masking tape or cellophane tape to carefully pull the wrinkles out or sometimes by using air pressure and your mouth.

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 6
Thank you so much!

So I just have to kind of pull back the paper, and insepct the driver a bit?

Truthfully, I was too scared to even touch that paper, because I initally thought the puncture caused the problem.

Will the paper just go right back? I'm extremely careful with these things, and the last thing I want to do is screw up something like this.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Thank you so much!

So I just have to kind of pull back the paper, and insepct the driver a bit?

Truthfully, I was too scared to even touch that paper, because I initally thought the puncture caused the problem.

Will the paper just go right back? I'm extremely careful with these things, and the last thing I want to do is screw up something like this.

The paper is glued on, do not try to remove it. I disassembled the can and went in through the back. It's not for the faint of heart but its the only way I could find to get access to the driver itself. You might want to google disassembly instructions if you are willing to try. The paper and felt are over a plastic gridwork and even if you pulled them up I don't think you would have room to get in there with tweezers.

If you've never taken anything apart before I wouldn't recommend it because the pieces are small and delicate. I take things apart a lot and it was nerve wracking but my headphones are as good as new now. If I had to do it again it wouldn't be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back