Buzzing/hum problem
Mar 21, 2021 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

shadowOak

New Head-Fier
Moved to a new apartment, newly built complex. Getting buzzing/hum(60hz hum?) coming through both my speakers and headphone amp(through the headphones). Turning the volume up makes the buzzing louder on both. Buzzing happens regardless of having an input or not. It is bad enough that I have not been able to use headphones through my amp.
Same buzz can by heard from the UPS and some of the things listed below

I've tried several different things to try to filter it out, will be listed bellow, but nothing but one worked. Only thing that worked is running the amp through my UPS when its on battery mode(unplugged from wall).
Also, the unit next door(empty) has the same issue. Oddly enough the outlets in the hallway does not

Things that I've tried that had zero effect:
Furman Power Conditioner (SS6B)
Ebtech Hum X
Tripp Lite IS250 Isolation Transformer
Panamax M8-AV-PRO
Panamax M5300-PM
All the outlets in the apartment
Everything else unplugged, including flipping circuit breakers to appliances

Other than buying a double-conversion(online) UPS, are there any other things I can purchase? I am trying to avoid a double-conversion UPS due to them typically having loud/noisy fans running most of the time.
I have had the building electrician take a look and basically said "yeah there's nothing I can do, that's hard to pin-point and solve"

Speakers: Klipsch Promedia 2.1 (2 prong)
Headphone amp: Schiit Valhalla 2 (3 prong)
UPS: Cyberpower GX1325U (pure-sine, line-interactive)

PS: My Onkyo receiver does not pass the buzzing through to passive speakers or to headphone out, but the receiver itself has the buzz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back