Buying Vintage amp - possibly the Marantz 2500? ;) question in thread
Jul 27, 2010 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Rune3400

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, as stated i am buying a vintage amp for my hd600.

Prices in Denmark are not like prices in america etc so if it sound expensive, it probably is.

Here are my options:

Marantz 2500: 300$ overkill? 
evil_smiley.gif

Marantz 1060: 100$

Or! (i am going from portable to home rig, so im starting from scratsh.

I could buy a 200$ DacMagic (my cd player isent the best) and use a somehow okay technics vintage amp that i have. 

All the prices are if i buy used

So what would you do?

Thanks in advance - Rune

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 5

Just thought I would stop by and say Hi,not much fun being in a thread by yourself.

The best Vintage amps to buy are the low power versions (10-30wpc),they tend to get passed by the speaker brigade but make fantastic phone amps.

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 5
[size=x-small]$300 for a vinatge Marantz 2500 would have been overkill only as a great deal,if it was in good shape.[/size]

[size=x-small]250-watts-per-channel,front panel cathode ray oscilloscope,gyro touch tuning knob and familiar blue lights,this 1978 receiver title holder retailed for $1,750.[/size]
[size=x-small]Nice all-in-one piece of electronics.[/size]

[size=x-small]I listen with a pair of JH-13 IEM's on the headphone output of a 1977 Marantz 2285 with no problem.[/size]

[size=x-small]Some hiss is present with no signal and the volume knob up but when the music plays the detailed,neutral JH monitors sound fine and the volume never gets dialed past 12 o'clock.[/size]

[size=x-small]I have a Pico Slim amplifier for the earphones,often listening near the maximum output and other than portability the Marantz is missing nothing.[/size]

[size=x-small]On receivers from that era,usually there are balance and triple tone controls to experiment with.[/size]

[size=x-small]Here is another option,quoting from Headfonia.com:[/size]
[size=x-small]"[/size]The SRD-7 energizer works differently than a regular Stax amplifier.
It requires to be piggy-backed to a standard speaker amplifier, where it takes the current from the speaker amplifier and convert it to the necessary high voltage power for driving Stax Electrostatic headphones.
It remains a popular choice among Stax users as a cheaper alternative than a standard electrostatic amplifiers. 2nd hand units sell for reasonable prices and run great out of any vintage stereo receivers."

So you can have the 'Marantz' sound on your favoite electrostatics too!

Pre 1980 Marantz are keepers and would power your Sennheisers just fine.,jump on that 1060 for $100 and get listening.

Always keep an eye for vintage McIntosh,Tandberg and Revox if you want to really hear a difference.
Pioneer and Sansui receivers pre 1980 too...good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back