Buying the HD650's but will be playing all my music through laptop
Sep 14, 2012 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kittenface

New Head-Fier
I am planning on buying the HD650's soon. They are, from what I can tell, the most consistently well-reviewed high-end headphones out there. I am thinking of buying them along with the FiiO E-17 amp/DAC. I'm just wondering if I might be making a mistake, though, because most of my music I either get from Spotify or by downloading on iTunes. I certainly don't plan on buying an actual audio system or obtaining physical media (CDs). All my music will be digital and played through my MacBook Pro. 

As always, thanks for your help. 

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 5
I would first look at what kind of flavor you would like in your headphones... sure the HD650's are highly reviewed and great headphones but they are said to have a laid back sound which might not be desirable. I was originally thinking about buying them but I ended up getting the HE-400's instead since they are great headphones for any genre. Don't get me wrong though if you've done your research HD650 are likely an extremely good choice.

iTunes sound quality isn't terrible... not sure what the bitrate is, I'm guessing VBR or 320, but I wouldn't be worried about that bottlenecking your listening experience. As far as sound quality goes the recording quality of the songs is the most important thing, not the bitrate(to an extent, you obviously don't want anything extremely low). CD's are digital too btw, basically everything but vinyl is.

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 5
It's hard to say because I like so many different kinds of music. Most of the stuff I like is electronic-ish, but more of the trance-y type electronic. Not stuff like Daft Punk. Stuff like ATB, Above and Beyond, etc. I also love a lot of psychill like Carbon Based Lifeforms, Solar Fields, etc. And then I like a lot of just typical popular stuff. Hip Hop, Pop... basically anything besides country as the saying goes.

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
256kps AAC : \
Pretty pathetic, but then again so is many of Apple's standards.

Eh, that's not terrible. Definitely not bad enough to bottleneck listening experience.

It's hard to say because I like so many different kinds of music. Most of the stuff I like is electronic-ish, but more of the trance-y type electronic. Not stuff like Daft Punk. Stuff like ATB, Above and Beyond, etc. I also love a lot of psychill like Carbon Based Lifeforms, Solar Fields, etc. And then I like a lot of just typical popular stuff. Hip Hop, Pop... basically anything besides country as the saying goes.

Sounds like the HD650 would be good for that stuff, at least the trancey psychill type stuff, but I can't say since I don't own them. My HE-400's work great with them as well, really good on the more detailed psybient/psytrance stuff like Yggsdrasil. Haven't listened to a lot of Carbon Based Lifeforms with them yet but what I have sounds awesome. Love the way spacey synths sound.

The only thing I would be worried about with the HD650's is if you a lot of upbeat stuff, but once again I don't own them so I'll step aside and let those who do own them comment about that... There is a HD650 appreciation thread you might be interested as well(here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-appreciation-thread ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back