Buying the e5 in Japan
May 5, 2004 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Kaician

Head-Fier
Well, it's about time to get the e5 that i've been looking into for a while. The only problem is that I am in Japan for a while longer now and need to find a way to buy them out here without having to sell my kidneys to get them... Does anyone have any experience or information on where I can get them either in Japan for a reasonable price, or a merchant in America that will ship them to Japan, again for the aformentioned reasonable price... (for those who can't think of what reasonable might be, somewhere in the range of ($390-$410)
confused.gif

May 6, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 11
The price that I quoted was for a deal including shipping. There is no way that I will pay that much for something that is being sold for so low in America... I know that there are shops that are shipping worldwide for lower prices than that. This is all just an exercise to avoid getting it shipped to my home in America and having a relative ship it to me in Japan. Anyone have any information on those shops? Idealsound looks very promising, though with the trouble some people are haing it might be a bit of a risk for me considering I am on the other side of the world... I would like to help support a community sponsor though...
frown.gif

May 6, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 11
I live in Japan and the E5s may be below the Yen duty limit but suggest you check. I had some delays with a Meridian, but fortunately I did check the customs so was able to help FedEx explain to customs. Still had to pay 5% consumption tax.
http://www.apectariff.org/tdb.cgi/ff...nd.cgi?JP+8519

Another option, is have them sent to a friend/relative state-side then use insured USPS. May not be worth the extra shipping if only consumption tax.

Best of luck.

Yeah the E5s are ridiculously priced here. Best deal are the CD3000s or R10s relative to outside U.S. Also, lots of vinyl to be had.

If you are in Tokyo suggest stopping by Furuyama Audio Labs in Akihabara. It is a small mainly speaker shop but they are very friendly Richie Kimura speaks excellent English. They have a unique full range driver speaker something you will not see/here elsewhere. They also have a tubed DAC and some tube amps but these are not so unique.
http://www.fal.gr.jp/
click on the picture with big screen to see map. In Japanese but can probably figure it out.

Dealer with English page
http://www.sibatech.co.jp/FAL/FAL%20Top.htm

May 6, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaician
Idealsound looks very promising, though with the trouble some people are haing it might be a bit of a risk for me considering I am on the other side of the world... I would like to help support a community sponsor though...
frown.gif

i recently received my e5 from idealsound and im in Australia. He can take a little while to reply to emails (hey, he does have a life outside of ebay
biggrin.gif
) but if you just wait, i think its worth it. Him not replying within 24 hours is the ONLY problem i encountered. In the end he is very reliable and i personally couldn't recommend him enough. shipping was really cheap and really fast! i couldn't believe the time it took to get here
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2004 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 11
You can buy E5(c) at either Yodobashi Camera store for 63000yen (incl tax), or from online shops such as
Sound House
Airy

Sound House is Shure authorized dealer and sells E5 at around 48000yen, Airy's price is around 50000yen depends on shipping and payment method, both includes s&h and tax. Just email them for order or questions.

I have bought a couple of headphones from Sound House and they are quick and dependable.

May 6, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 11
If you're more happy with using someone in Japan, then that's cool, but I'd just like to add my support to iDealSound if you're considering them.

I've bought from Paul twice, and both times he couldn't have been more helpful, the goods arrived in perfect order, and both times I ordered on a Friday and received the goods on a MOnday, which is only two working days. Highly recommended, and the prices are excellent.

May 6, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 11
I've bought amps from Airy. They were very kind and provided fast service - if you transfer the money (can be done using an ATM in japan if you have a bank account here) he'll ship the same day for next day delivery at little cost. They speak english.

May 6, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 11
I have purchased several items from Todd. His prices generally beat the local Japan prices including shipping. Plus customer service is excellent and like to give Head-fi sponsors my biz where practical. None of the local vendors allow returns either. A Japan thing.

I would like to buy some stuff locally and appreciate some of the other suggestions. I have visited Airy site but prices were not so enticing. Did not realize Soundhouse carried at 48,000 is not to bad a price, say compared to Yodobashi`s. Might give the E5s a more consideration to spruce up the iHP sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back