buying suggestions HD590 vs HD595
Nov 4, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek
A perfect headphone if you want to spend medium sized amounts of money on your phones, amp, source, and want a slightly forward of neutral approach.

Geek

My concerns are amp and source. I basically want to use it with my sony diskman (DJ915) and laptop. An amp will go beyond my budget. So i want to know how bad or good it sounds upamped. i might try to get an old diskman from ebay, suppos more output power to drive the phone. Will that work out?
rolleyes.gif

Nov 5, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #17 of 25
The 595s are okay without an amp with most sources. Of course they'll improve with an amp.
I hate to start you down another road, but if you listen exclusively to classical you might want to consider the HD580 with an amp. I don't know what your budget is but if you can stretch it the 580s do classical much better. I feel the 595s are a more versatile headphone, however and I don't think you'd be disappointed with them if that's the way you go.
Just something to think about.
BTW, too bad you missed the Tennessee meet a couple months back. You could have auditioned all kinds of things.

Nov 5, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
The 595s are okay without an amp with most sources. Of course they'll improve with an amp.
I hate to start you down another road, but if you listen exclusively to classical you might want to consider the HD580 with an amp. I don't know what your budget is but if you can stretch it the 580s do classical much better. I feel the 595s are a more versatile headphone, however and I don't think you'd be disappointed with them if that's the way you go.
Just something to think about.

I know HD580 is classic for classical, worthy for collection. I don't know how much it cost for an entry level amp just fine for HD580. The cheapest amp from headroom costs about a phone, too much for a rookie. I got PX100 this Jan and started my classical collection. All my old CDs sound much better with PX100, now i like to pay more for the phone. Yes, I'd like to know more about the amp and might consider it if it is not that much. Thanks, Vol.

Nov 5, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
BTW, too bad you missed the Tennessee meet a couple months back. You could have auditioned all kinds of things.

what's that? wow, i wish i was there. please let me know next time. where is it in TN?

Nov 5, 2004 at 8:43 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by UTF
Btw, how does unamped hd590 sounds? The specifications for 590 and 595 are quite same. If 590 sounds fine from portable cd player, 595 would be same or better. I use a sony diskman more often.

The HD590 unamped sounds hollow, with distant mids, boomy bass and the highs are bot muffled and shrill at the same time (i.e. forward mid-highs and muffled high-end). They sounds unnatural to me (and I know the sound of real instruments). I think HD595 sounds better than HD590 from any source, but for this someone who has really listened to the HD595 can tell you.

Bye

Andrea

Nov 5, 2004 at 9:24 AM Post #21 of 25
If you're going unamped I would recommend the HD 555 rather than the two you are considering. It sounds more natural than the HD 590 and is close to the HD 595 unamped. They all sound better plugged into a decent receiver headphone jack or headamp.

Nov 5, 2004 at 10:59 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
Reading the posts on this thread, one would be surprised that a lot of people here love (or previously loved) the 590s.]

I loved the HD 590's when I got them. They were great but the recessed mids really got to me and they weren't suitable for the music I listen to. They would be great for classical music and maybe movies but the HD 555 & 595 sound more balanced to me, so are easier to recommend.

Nov 5, 2004 at 11:00 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
Reading the posts on this thread, one would be surprised that a lot of people here love (or previously loved) the 590s. Here's a link about the 590s during its heyday.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...light=love+590

I never loved them!
tongue.gif
600smile.gif

Nov 5, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #25 of 25
When I said " Reading the posts on this thread, one would be surprised that a lot of people here love (or previously loved) the 590s" Here, meant people here in head-fi, not people posting on this thread
tongue.gif
I didn't even see 3lusiv3 post on the link there until he replied to my post. Sorry about that, I didnt mean to single you out 3L, I hope you didnt take offense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back