buying suggestions HD590 vs HD595
Nov 4, 2004 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

UTF

Head-Fier
I am considering to upgrade my PX100 to either HD590 or HD595, because I want a better cans for listening classical and some reviews said both of cans are able to drive directly from portable CD or computer and sound not bad. I have no plan to get an amp now. Which would be better in terms of ease to drive and sound for classic and vocal? Thanks.
Btw, someone said HD595 actually looks quite silly, though it is a red dot design winner. Is that ture? I cannot find either of these cans in local stores to take a look and compare. Count on you now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 25
The HD590 isn't worth the price. Most people who have heard the HD590 and say it's good do so only because they haven't heard other cans.
rolleyes.gif
(it was the only "high-level" Sennheiser can a few years back that didn't require an amp to drive them, so I can imagine that a lot of headphone-phile wannabes got them for that reason - including my friend.)
Go for the HD595, definitely, if given the option.

Nov 4, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 25
Go with the 595s. Mine are great. They'll cost you more but they're worth it. They work okay without an amp. They'll improve with one, though.

Nov 4, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by UTF
Which would be better in terms of ease to drive and sound for classic and vocal? Thanks.
Btw, someone said HD595 actually looks quite silly, though it is a red dot design winner. Is that ture?

Both should be quite easy to drive and the 595 sound noticably better and definitely more upfront. To my taste, 590 look more silly =) well, at least they look cheaper and 'plasticer'. Over here the price for both are almost similar, so it was an easy choice.

Nov 4, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 25
Thanks!!! I didn't expect so many replies and so quickly. People here are so nice. One more question, is HD595 a good choice for classical? According to headroom, it is a good alternative to hd600, sounds like better for pop.

Nov 4, 2004 at 1:32 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by UTF
I am considering to upgrade my PX100 to either HD590 or HD595, because I want a better cans for listening classical and some reviews said both of cans are able to drive directly from portable CD or computer and sound not bad. I have no plan to get an amp now. Which would be better in terms of ease to drive and sound for classic and vocal? Thanks.
Btw, someone said HD595 actually looks quite silly, though it is a red dot design winner. Is that ture? I cannot find either of these cans in local stores to take a look and compare. Count on you now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Avoid the hd590! Boomy and harsh at the same time. I've not listened to the HD595 but I think it's way better (worst is quite impossible
icon10.gif
).

Bye
600smile.gif

Andrea

PS. your location, TN, means Trento in Italy?

Nov 4, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
PS. your location, TN, means Trento in Italy?

I think the location TN means Tennessee in the USA.

And I agree with you that there are much better choices than the HD590 at its price point.

Nov 4, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
I think the location TN means Tennessee in the USA.

And I agree with you that there are much better choices than the HD590 at its price point.

Yup! I think so... but I'm always hoping to find some head-fiers near my town.
biggrin.gif

And I think there are better choices than the HD590 also at much less (all the Grado line, but also the Senn HD497 or the PX100 for my taste...)

Andrea

Nov 4, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #14 of 25
Hi, amartignano, i am from Tennesee, but thanks for your suggestion, and wish you meet some head-fiers soon.
Btw, how does unamped hd590 sounds? The specifications for 590 and 595 are quite same. If 590 sounds fine from portable cd player, 595 would be same or better. I use a sony diskman more often.

Nov 4, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #15 of 25
The HD595s are almost as good as the 580/600 in terms of their overall finnesse and are slightly more forward. A perfect headphone if you want to spend medium sized amounts of money on your phones, amp, source, and want a slightly forward of neutral approach.

Cheers,
Geek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back