Buying Soon Very Soon
Oct 16, 2006 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

LauZaIM

New Head-Fier
Alright, after taking a sick day off of school and surfing the net for a decent pair of headphones/headsets (I don't know the difference yet, funny eh?) all day I've come to the conclusion that I need some help..I believe I did post a similar thread but now I have much more money to deal with and a more exact need. Now to get right to the point. I would like a good sounding headset/headphone that will a) NOT look dorky in public while using a laptop b) sound good c) be good for gaming and LAN's d) be comfortable for long periods. (I also prefer not to use IEM's) and e) not be over $120. Any suggestion are welcome..

Oct 16, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by LauZaIM
Alright, after taking a sick day off of school and surfing the net for a decent pair of headphones/headsets (I don't know the difference yet, funny eh?) all day I've come to the conclusion that I need some help..I believe I did post a similar thread but now I have much more money to deal with and a more exact need. Now to get right to the point. I would like a good sounding headset/headphone that will a) NOT look dorky in public while using a laptop b) sound good c) be good for gaming and LAN's d) be comfortable for long periods. (I also prefer not to use IEM's) and e) not be over $120. Any suggestion are welcome..

I hope you're not "sick" as in "sick of school for one day just to stay home and recieved fedex/ups/usps packages and or then buy more things online" kind of sick day
wink.gif

Looking at what you will be using it for, outside, need closed can, for gaming, comfort, I think the AKG K-81dj would fit the bill @ around 70USD. These supra aural phones kind of reduce some noise, and are lighter and more comfie than full sized closed cans. They also happen to sound "full", which would be desirable for gaming. They also looks nice, and I wouldnt mind wearing them in public or showing them off.

Headrooms K81dj page

Oct 16, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 5
The K81's sound nice, but I haven't used them yet. I <3 my Grado SR-60's, also $70, but they're a bit bright so I don't like straight listening through them for hours on end. I haven't tried them yet, but look at the Sennheiser EH350's. It would help if you explained what kind of sound you like.

Oct 16, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 5
I really don't understand some of the audio jargon that is thrown at me left in right, bright, warm, smooth, together?? But I'll take a shot on "what kind of sound i like" I like it to have bass, but not so much that it drowns everything out . I also like it to have clarity; I have some logitech 350's that are just terrible in that they sound VERY VERY muffled like your listening to speakers that are under a bucket. I want to remove the bucket but not have it (highs in particular) sound TOO sharp where it fatigues your ears or gives you a headache. I plan to game on them and listen to music, Counterstrike Source and Rock/Techno specifically.

Just in case: What I'm "upgrading" from is the Logitech 350's, and Koss UR-15C. Never had anything better, but using my 5.1 System as a baseline the 'phones I have suck major.

Oct 17, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 5
From what I read, the k81dj is a very respectable set of phones for music, and since its small and closed, im sure its not lacking in bass either. If its good for music then it will blow you away in games. Ive used logitech sets before, and they actually sound "decent" compared to the other junk. Their usb ones that combine headphone and mic are good, but not very full sounding and kind of dark. The akgs will def add more body overall to the sound, as it was designed for music, not "web chatting" and "game intercom".

The thing is your gonna have to use some of your budget to get a mic now that your getting good headphones. Cool thing about these is that you can swivel them, so if your at a lan and some dude says something you can just flip an earcup and you dont have to take it off which is a waste of time and messes up your hair. (not that anyone cares at a lan)
rolleyes.gif

If you happen to play newer fps, then upgraded headphones really do help, as the new games have better 3d mixdown and you can locate enemies much more easily than back in the day..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back