Buying sony mdr ma900 or akg q701. which one?
Feb 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nion

New Head-Fier
Gonna buy either a sony mdr ma900 or akg q701 for music, gaming, movies i read ma900 is good in comfort but q701 is good in sound i want good sound and good comfort for using is more than few hours which one is better for me or are their better headphones in comfort and sound

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 9
nobody
triportsad.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 9
If you do get the Q701 you better make sure you can deal with the headband. I couldn't.

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Gonna buy either a sony mdr ma900 or akg q701 for music, gaming, movies i read ma900 is good in comfort but q701 is good in sound i want good sound and good comfort for using is more than few hours which one is better for me or are their better headphones in comfort and sound

Heya,

Both are excellent but in their own ways. I found them both comfortable. Some people find the headband of the AKG's to be a problem, but I'm not sure if they're bald or not. I have hair on my head, and never noticed anything uncomfortable about them. Both have comfortable cloth cups. Good deep cups at that.

Sound wise, I think the MA900 has more low end response. So if you're seeking a really wide sound stage, along with good extension into bass, the MA900 would be my pick for that. The Q701 has a little less low end response and a similar sound stage, good and wide. I would basically go with either one if you want a neutral, but warm sound, with a nice wide sound stage, but get the MA900 if you want a little more low end ability, or go Q701 if you are ok with a more shy approach to the low frequencies. Depends on your preference. I prefer more body in the sub-bass for example, so for me, I go with the headphone that has that ability more. Sound stage on both are equivalent to me.

Very best,

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Heya,

Both are excellent but in their own ways. I found them both comfortable. Some people find the headband of the AKG's to be a problem, but I'm not sure if they're bald or not. I have hair on my head, and never noticed anything uncomfortable about them. Both have comfortable cloth cups. Good deep cups at that.

Sound wise, I think the MA900 has more low end response. So if you're seeking a really wide sound stage, along with good extension into bass, the MA900 would be my pick for that. The Q701 has a little less low end response and a similar sound stage, good and wide. I would basically go with either one if you want a neutral, but warm sound, with a nice wide sound stage, but get the MA900 if you want a little more low end ability, or go Q701 if you are ok with a more shy approach to the low frequencies. Depends on your preference. I prefer more body in the sub-bass for example, so for me, I go with the headphone that has that ability more. Sound stage on both are equivalent to me.

Very best,

thanks

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 9
I love my Q701. I've never had issues with the headband, although I have a full head of hair to cushion it anyway. Like MalVeauX said, more emphasis on sub bass, I find this to be true. That's why I love using them for electronic music. Can't vouch for the Sony, never heard, but I CAN say you won't be disappointed with the Q's. :)

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 9
Both a great headphones. Some may suggest an amp for the Q701. MA900 doesn't need one.

I find while the Q701 is pretty comfortable at first, it doesn't stay that way for long. I'm one of the ones that is bothered by the hard, bumpy headband. I occasionally was irritated by the very large cups that clamp lower toward your jaw. I've read some users also have an issue with that, but it wasn't as big of a deal as the headband for me. The MA900 is one of the very few headphones that I can manage wearing for over an hour at a time. Extremely comfortable. Sound wise, I find both are more than capable for movies, music, and games. One of the biggest differences is the Q701 possess more treble. The MA900 sounds more open and airy to me, but I've heard some mention the Q701 is better at actual positional accuracy. Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with either regarding sound, but the MA900 has my pick for comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back