Buying Senn HD 600s - amp and DAC?
Nov 1, 2011 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MisterDeadeye

New Head-Fier
I'm finally ready to spend a considerable amount on a headphone setup. I'm getting Sennheiser HD 600s, so I am in need of an amp and DAC. I want a tuber, so I'm considering the Bottlehead Crack based on other opinions, but I don't know what to do about a DAC. The source will be a laptop, so it needs to have a USB input. And even though I'm using a laptop, it's a desktop replacement meaning it isn't moved. Ever.

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 3
Depends on your budget. I would personally not spend too much on the DAC though. This is because expensive DAC's are often inaudibly better than cheaper ones. A properly built DAC of about $100-150 could do the trick, and be just as good as some real expensive ones (e.g. Benchmark DAC1).
You could look into FiiO's products. They tend to have almost unmatched bang for buck ratio.

With amps the difference is greater, especially with tube amps. Solid state amps tend to all sound the same, while tube amps each have their own specific sound signature.

The Bottlehead Crack is a great amp, but you should not expect super precision out of it. If you want accurate sound reproduction go with a solid state instead. If you want to toy around with sound signatures through tube rolling, and DIY your own amp then the Crack is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back