Buying Schiit Product from US, and shipping to UK
Feb 6, 2011 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

awyongcarl

New Head-Fier
Greetings folks,

I was just wondering if there is any extra charges like VAT or Import duty when I purchase a Schiit Valhalla from US and have it ship to UK?

If so..Any workaround?
Any others advises are welcome and will be appreciated! =)

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 7
You'll have to pay for shipping and the import duties/taxes will be up to your country.

Items can be shipped as a gift, but that would require the sender to make a false declaration on the customs forms. I can't speak for others, but I won't do it. With a few dozen items I've had shipped to me internationally, every business has been honest in their declaration. I pay the fees. If I can't afford to pay the fees, I don't order it or find a local substitute.

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 7
Even gifts you'll have to pay customs on in the UK. The system is complicated as hell to work out, have a look on the HM Revenues and Customs home page for more info but in general - what looks like an exchange rate bargain when buying stuff from the US is generally anything but once the taxman has his cut. I'd look to buy within the EU.

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 7
I've read the HMRC and well..yeah I guess unless the seller made a fake declaration.

Any goods that exceed 135 pounds will have to pay Custom Duty.
Import VAT will be charged for any goods above 9 pounds.

I've been trying to look for places that sell Schiit products through the internet but there isn't any.
That's why I've resort to buy it from the official site.

Sent an Email and Jason (co-founder) told me they can declare a lower value but to what extend, I'm not sure yet.

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #5 of 7
I do the same as Uncle Erik. If I can't or won't pay the import duties, I don't buy. Gifts may also be taxed, depending on how convincing customs think the the gift is as a gift. If you buy it through another source, chances are you'll be paying for import duties anyway, only not separately, but included in the price. Not much to be done about it, unless you can buy a used product from someone else who paid the import duties. Ofcourse, he'll be likely to recoop his expenditure also...

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 7
I've had a company send me something as a gift with 40$ value, while it wasn't a gift and had 250$ value
As long as you don't get caught by customs or as long as nothing happens during shipping (you'll only be insured for 40$) it's ok, but I try to find items already imported in Europe.

So that's my advise if you wanna be safe

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #7 of 7
Also, you need to make sure that the product has a CE mark. We had an inquiry from someone in UK who bought a product from a Chinese seller, and it was stuck with UK customs for not having a CE mark. We happen to carry the same product, so the person asked us for help in supplying CE mark info. Unfortunately, the product was not designed/marketed for sale to Europe.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back