Buying portable player, need help!
May 23, 2012 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kecupochren

New Head-Fier
Hello there!

So I ordered Monster Turbines Pro Golds yesterday and right now I am looking forward to buy myself some neat portable player. I always wanted to have one device that would carry all of my music "forever" due of fact that I have just ~6 usable gigs of memory in my phone, which is terrible and I always end up desperate which song delete or not. 

That means, I am looking for a player with great sound quality and large memory, battery life is not that important (I assume 8+ hours is common). So far from what Ive read, Cowon players are dominating in terms of sound quality, allthough, most of these players have touch screen, internet browsing and things like that which I dont need since I obviously have a device called, smartphone. Which leads me to iPod classic. Great size, design, interface, capacity, but I do not know whats the sound quality like. Some say old 5th & 5.5th gen classics had different chip inside that, hence, they had better sound quality, alltho I couldnt find any comparsion of these to latest, 7th gen, iPod. 

Even tho I am not fan of Apple products, they are ridiculously overpriced (MACs, Iphones), Ipod classic seem to have nice price, something about 200€ here, in Slovakia. 

So, question is, how would you compare Cowon J3 (32 gigs of internal memory + 32 gigs card, tho, it would cost me about ~100 euro more and I would pay for unnecessary stuff which I mentioned earlier) sound quality to iPod 7th gen? Is it really that much difference and is it worth of paying that much more? Or could you recommend any other portable player?

Thanks

May 23, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 9
Get a Sandisk Clip+. In the US the 2GB Clip+ is only $30 and a 32GB micro SDHC card to add to it is only $22, giving a great $52 34GB player. I love the sound quality of my Clip+.  It has around 12 hours of battery life. For longer battery life, get a usb battery pack to use with it.

The J3 is expensive. Even an 8GB J3 is around $175 in the US.

May 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 9
the J3 is great, but only great if youre into EQ and BBE effects. i find the flat or normal EQ of the J3 dull and lifeless. if you dont use EQ, i'd say get a sanza clip or fuze and buy an external card for it. not sure if 34-40GB fits most or all of your songs though compared to ~64gb storage of J3.

May 24, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Get a Sandisk Clip+. In the US the 2GB Clip+ is only $30 and a 32GB micro SDHC card to add to it is only $22, giving a great $52 34GB player. I love the sound quality of my Clip+.  It has around 12 hours of battery life. For longer battery life, get a usb battery pack to use with it.

The J3 is expensive. Even an 8GB J3 is around $175 in the US.

This x 100000

Or if you want even more storage, find a "broken" 5th gen Ipod on ebay, then put a new hard drive in it. Most of the time it's simply a HDD issue.

May 24, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 9
Well I am afraid that 32 gb wont be enough, thats why I mentioned iPod. I could easily pick 64 gb J3 (with card), but it seem stupid to pay for features I do not want. In fact, I dont mind spending ~300€ on player, but thing is that it has to be large (80 gigs atleast), with great sound quality (and yes, I am into EQ) and no other "features" such as touchscreen or so (I guess most players have touch sensitive screen and I hate them since I have heat sens display on my smartphone).

May 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #7 of 9
You could buy more than one Clip+ and put a 32GB card in each. Some people have reported success using a 64GB micro SDXC card in a Clip+, Fuze(only consider the original Fuze) or Clip Zip if the card is formatted as FAT32. The Clip+ and Clip Zip original firmware has a song limit of around 8,000 songs, but if you install Rockbox on the player you can avoid that limit.. Rockbox has its plusses and its complexities(ask others about Rockbox, as I don't use it).

May 24, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 9
The Cowon X7 offers better soundquality and capacity of 120GB, 160GB and battery life is realy good on these(highly recommended). Sony Z series walkmen has 64GB capacity and they are amazing sounding DAPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back