Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jun 2, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #5,236 of 5,364
Quote:
To close my request for help, I've bought SoundMagic PL 21. The're bassy ("I Saw Her Standing There" by Beatles sounds awesome!) and loud (I was able to listen the music at shop (I've demoed them and they were the only one available which entered my ears correctly) at -30 to -35 dB). Hope that isolation would be good. :) Thanks for help!

Glad to hear that you're happy!  Sorry I wasn't able to be of more help there...
redface.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #5,237 of 5,364
Quote:
How would you compare the se215s to the Yamaha EPH-100s?

SE215 is warmer and smoother while EPH-100 is more engaging and has better clarity.
Quote:
The build quality is a holding me a bit back on the triple.fi versions.
I think I will sit down tomorrow and make a good list of what I really want from a headphone and try to explain that to you guys. I have $300 dollar to spend on a whole package so their are a lot of options like only headphones and using it with my iPhone or a cheaper headphone and a new source (and maybe amp).

Just a quick note. Amping will not make a $200 iem sound like a $300 iem. Although it depends on iem, most iem don't benefit as much as people claim they do. If I had a option between SE535+AK120, around $1200 and UERM+Clip Zip, around $1050, I can tell you with confidence that UERM+Clip Zip will be better in almost every ways.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #5,238 of 5,364
SE215 is warmer and smoother while EPH-100 is more engaging and has better clarity.
Just a quick note. Amping will not make a $200 iem sound like a $300 iem. Although it depends on iem, most iem don't benefit as much as people claim they do. If I had a option between SE535+AK120, around $1200 and UERM+Clip Zip, around $1050, I can tell you with confidence that UERM+Clip Zip will be better in almost every ways.

Thanks for the heads up. I will type my exact requirements tomorrow and maybe you can help me.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #5,239 of 5,364
I am in an unusual predicament. I currently have Ultrasone HFI-580s paired with the PA2V2 Amp from Gary. Anyway, I think the setup is good but for my Trance Music I find that it's lacking in both female vocals and impactful bass. 

First off, let me say that the VAST MAJORITY of my music is ripped from Youtube or Internet Radio stations from live DJ sets from music festivals (Electric Daisy Carnival, Ultra Music Festival, ect) As a result, the quality is a hit or miss, either very low MP3 or on the high end of MP3's at 256. I sometimes dabble in ultra high quality tracks when I buy them from Itunes, but I still feel that the HFI-580s arent suiting my needs.

Can anyone suggest a great pair of headphones for what I am looking for under $350?

Thanks!

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #5,240 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm looking for some decent earphones for a budget of around £20 or $30. I have been told that Sennheiser CX earphones are the way to go and that I should only look on sites such as amazon.co.uk and steer clear of ebay.com due to dodgy fake earphones. I love bass in songs but I listen to different types of music except heavy metal and boy bands. So far I have found Sennheiser CX215's in blue for £25, Sennheiser CX175's in black for £20 and Sennheiser CX200 Street II's in grey for £21 what one should I get? Do you have any advice for me?and are there any better deals out there that you have found? Thanks, Alex
smily_headphones1.gif

I owned a cx250 and they had fair clarity and fair detail with lots of bass. Also, they have good build quality. But be ware, there are lots of fakes.

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking of getting the CX175's do you think they are a good buy for £20/$30?

Sound wise, they are average. Their build quality is good tough. If you like mid bass boost, go for it.

Ok, What would you say are the best sound quality earphones for that price range?

monoprice, philips iem from what I heard. Search for it on head-fi.

Are you sure? Those are less than half the price?

Build quality wise, they arn't the best. I have not heard the monoprice ones but the philips oones out performs the cx250ii imo.

I have the Monoprice 8320 but I haven't heard the Philips SHE-3850.  For under $20, the Monoprice 8320 is competent, but very hard to get a good fit.  For that reason, I would tend to recommend it as a last resort.  Might want to go with the Philips then.  If I had to, I would probably buy it blind over the Monoprice 8320, given what I know about the 8320.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #5,241 of 5,364
Quote:
I am in an unusual predicament. I currently have Ultrasone HFI-580s paired with the PA2V2 Amp from Gary. Anyway, I think the setup is good but for my Trance Music I find that it's lacking in both female vocals and impactful bass. 

First off, let me say that the VAST MAJORITY of my music is ripped from Youtube or Internet Radio stations from live DJ sets from music festivals (Electric Daisy Carnival, Ultra Music Festival, ect) As a result, the quality is a hit or miss, either very low MP3 or on the high end of MP3's at 256. I sometimes dabble in ultra high quality tracks when I buy them from Itunes, but I still feel that the HFI-580s arent suiting my needs.

Can anyone suggest a great pair of headphones for what I am looking for under $350?

Thanks!

Ouch, I know exactly what you're talking about.  S-Logic and compression do NOT mix.  Okay, normally I'd suggest the Sennheiser Amperior for all of your other requirements.  The only problem with the Amperior is that - in your specific case - you're might be looking for something that is going to be more-laid back and forgiving.  That being the case, I would say take a look at the V-Moda M-80 as well.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #5,242 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi there,
I'm entering the high-end audio world, and recently updated my DAP from an Android phone, to a 160GB iPod Classic, and rockboxed it. Now it's time for new headphones. I thought of building my own, but some people said it wouldn't be a very good idea.

If you don't already have experience doing this, they're right. 

Quote:
I'm interested in phones like the Senns HD598, but bassier and closed if possible. What can you recommend me? I'm looking for closed ones (I may try semi, or open ones too), because I don't like to bother other people with my music while travelling...

Okay, without knowing your budget, I'm inclined to say the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80.  The V-Moda M-100 may also be a good option for you

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #5,243 of 5,364
Quote:
The build quality is a holding me a bit back on the triple.fi versions.
I think I will sit down tomorrow and make a good list of what I really want from a headphone and try to explain that to you guys. I have $300 dollar to spend on a whole package so their are a lot of options like only headphones and using it with my iPhone or a cheaper headphone and a new source (and maybe amp).

Unfortunately not an expert, but if you are not keen on bass, then I see no reason per se to upgrade both your source and get a C&C BH. You may not need the C&C BH if you don't get IEMs that are incredibly hard to drive. FWIW, my Cowon D2+ drives my IEMs just fine and I'd personally take a better IEM over a mediocre IEM with an amp (unless we're taling high impedance monsters like the RE-262). 

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #5,244 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am a marine engineer meaning I am spending prolonged amounts of time around loud engines.  So loud that if i didn't wear hearing protection on a regular basis I would quickly lose my hearing.  I am wondering if there is a pair of IEMs that would provide me with the hearing protection I require while also sounding half decent.  I would like to keep it around $500 but i would be willing to spend more if there is something specifically ideal to my kind of case. any suggestions ? 

I am new to the forum but have lurked for much longer so take what i say with a grain of salt. I would start out by checking jokers iem thread. It has over 280 different ones at this point. He rates each one by isolation and sound plus many others. Just looking i saw 6 that seemed to fit your needs. The cheapest but best isolating one was the Etymotic ER4S. From a little lurking it seems to have multiple models. Again i have very little experience, just trying to help since i recall hearing kimkvictor and warren being gone for the weekend. 

Thanks for the advice.  I was wondering if I would benefit from a pair of CIEMs rather than universal IEMs.  Do CIEMs provide significantly better sound isolation?

I have no experience here and can't help, sorry. 
frown.gif
 Wait until Sunday when kimvictor can help or when warren gets back. Both are real helpful and would give way better advice than me. Good luck on finding exactly what you need!!

Thanks for helping out thumpin! 
smile.gif
  Antarctica, since you can afford a CIEM, and your needs practically dictate it, I would definitely suggest getting one.  By design, CIEMs provide far better isolation than anything else as they are form-fitted to your ears.  Stories of people getting clipped by passing bicycle riders (and sometimes cars) because they did not hear them coming are not uncommon.

Now, given that your budget is a but on the lower end of CIEM territory, you might want to take a look at a company called Cosmic Ears.  Their HY3 model features a dual balance armature for mids~highs and a dynamic driver for lows.  Please note that I have NOT heard it so I can't say anything about the sound quality.  But in terms of meeting your other needs - and your target budget - it hits the sweet spot.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #5,245 of 5,364
Ouch, I know exactly what you're talking about.  S-Logic and compression do NOT mix.  Okay, normally I'd suggest the Sennheiser Amperior for all of your other requirements.  The only problem with the Amperior is that - in your specific case - you're might be looking for something that is going to be more-laid back and forgiving.  That being the case, I would say take a look at the V-Moda M-80 as well.

Thanks! By any chance can you offer an alternative to the V-Moda M-80? I'd like something that is over the ear.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #5,246 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am looking at some new headphones as a birthday present at the end of june (yes i can choose my presents), i am stuck between the KEF m200 and the B&O h3, i just wanted to know the difference in sound now that they are both available (at least in the UK)

I decided to post again as there was no reply.

(sorry if i sound mean in this post, just wanted a reply)

I have no idea about both of those headphones. If you can wait til monday, warren might be able to help u out.

Okay, first let me say that I have not heard any of them.  However, I have been following the whole old-guard-making-new-cans thing with great interest ever since B&W did the P5.  From there it went to the Focal Spirit One, then Martin Logan Mikros 90.  From the impressions I've been able to gather from some long time members that I trust, I'm not exactly excited about trying any of them out.  I have no idea how the newcomers from KEF and B&O are.  But I'll be keeping my expectations fairly low if you know what I mean.  I know that didn't help any, but just throwing my two cents out there.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #5,248 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! By any chance can you offer an alternative to the V-Moda M-80? I'd like something that is over the ear.

Yes actually, the Numark Electrowave.  Please note that it will look pretty big on your head if you'll be stepping out with them (just giving you a heads-up
wink.gif
).

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #5,249 of 5,364
Quote:
what other ear phones are good for rap and r&b apart from yamaha eph100 and shures?!?

RHA MA350, or RHA MA450i (if you need an iDevice remote).

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #5,250 of 5,364

Quote:

Thanks for helping out thumpin! 
smile.gif
  Antarctica, since you can afford a CIEM, and your needs practically dictate it, I would definitely suggest getting one.  By design, CIEMs provide far better isolation than anything else as they are form-fitted to your ears.  Stories of people getting clipped by passing bicycle riders (and sometimes cars) because they did not hear them coming are not uncommon.

Now, given that your budget is a but on the lower end of CIEM territory, you might want to take a look at a company called Cosmic Ears.  Their HY3 model features a dual balance armature for mids~highs and a dynamic driver for lows.  Please note that I have NOT heard it so I can't say anything about the sound quality.  But in terms of meeting your other needs - and your target budget - it hits the sweet spot.

For isolation needs, silicon ciem will probably be the best option. Their build quality isn't as good as acrylic shell, but their isolation and comfort are very good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back