Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 29, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #5,086 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
+1 on the comfort.  Both the mids and the highs take a backseat to the bass, though more so the mids than the highs in that regard.  It's just not a natural or tight bass response, so it greatly skews the way real instruments sound.  But by the same token, it accentuates the bottom end of electronic music (artificial tones).  So I would say that it's a very specialized pair of headphones.

The comfort you gave a low rating. Using them about 1h later become annoying?

(I'm waiting for a call from the store that I will try the XB500. If I like it, I buy it :wink: )

I did?

May 29, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #5,087 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Monster turbine, SE215LE, Denon iems, and sony XBA series. There are many more, but I'm out of time. sorry.

I'm back to give you more. X10, ATH CK series, Sound magic E10.

Yay! 
smile.gif
  Of course, you do realize that he's gonna ask you about all of the models you mentioned right? 
wink.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Aren't we are doing this during our spare time?
tongue_smile.gif

Yeah, I suppose.  Though I am self-employed so my concept of spare time is rather vague.

May 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #5,090 of 5,364
Quote:
Warren, i was just looking at where to get the Dunu Tai Chi and there are two sellers on Amazon that i saw. One is in Taiwan and is called Dunu and the other is Gateshop in Cali. I was wondering if anyone knows if either are legit or if theres a better place to buy from.

Thanks!!

Well, the "Dunu" seller that you see there is actually Dunu the company itself.  I can't imagine it being any safer than that. 
smile.gif

Quote:
Thanks, also wondering if any regular foam eartips will fit the Dunu Tai Chi? Anyone know any that will fit and improve comfort and isolation?

Hold on, lemme go check.  Yeah, I'm pretty sure it'll be okay.  Mine seem to accept all kinds of standard tips so I doubt there will be any problems.  I actually have a preferred tip that I like to use... RHA's dual density tips (small size for me).  They isolate well, are fairly durable, and have a rigid shaft that doesn't deform when inserted... much like Sony hybrid tips.

May 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #5,091 of 5,364
Quote:

Thanks again for coming back to me, I know it's irritating sometimes, being the community helper
beerchug.gif

LOL, don't even stress it.  We're all community helpers, all of us.  I know that a lot of people have a tendency to look at Head-Fi as an informational site.  But it's really more of a community than anything else.  And we're all just sharing our experience.

BTW, no matter what you get, if you don't come back and post about it IMA BE PISSED!!! 
biggrin.gif
  LOL, totally kidding, but kinda not really, but yeah kidding. 
wink.gif

Quote:

Especially when you spend a lot of time and thought in making suggestions and the idiot goes and buys something truly horrible just because it has a 'Name' on it... Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything
biggrin.gif

Of course, you'd never do anything like that! 
wink.gif

Quote:

I absolutely do not mind second-hand stuff. If they're anything like the camera forum I frequent most everyone takes excellent care of their gear. I'll have to have a look there.

Okay, this is GREAT!  It's especially great if you find a fellow Head-Fier near you so as to ease shipping charges! 
smile.gif

Quote:

The price differences are really frustrating sometimes.. the K240 is £80/$120. Sometimes it can work in my favor, for instance the Denon AH-D1100 can be had from Amazon.co.uk for £60. There's probably a number of others that are similarly backward, but I haven't a clue where to start looking really, model-wise. I worry that if I spend extra on something that's only more expensive because it's imported I may miss out on something that's actually cheaper and better here because it's more 'local'.

Yeah, I wish I could help more there, but I have a hard enough time just trying to memorize the general landscape of US prices.

Quote:

I know you can't recommend something you've not heard, but can you suggest some 'phones that could warrant further investigation? Like 'I've not tried them but I hear Gargamel's Smurfette-9000 is good and might be suitable for you, try asking about it in the Smurfette appreciation thread', or something like that?

Okay, I totally hate to do this, but can you do a quickie re-post of all the requirements and preferences to date?  It's been a rather busy day, and some of the salient details might have slipped away.  Sorry about that...
redface.gif

May 29, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #5,092 of 5,364
Quote:
Okay, I totally hate to do this, but can you do a quickie re-post of all the requirements and preferences to date?  It's been a rather busy day, and some of the salient details might have slipped away.  Sorry about that...
redface.gif

No worries! There has been a lot going on the last few days.

Quote:
Hi guys, I've been reading for a few weeks and keep getting stumped on purchases so thought I'd finally join and ask for advice instead of throwing more money away. I'll be using them mostly for gaming (single-player first/third person games) with some classic rock and folk thrown in for good measure. I think I'd prefer more open headphones to closed as I like to be able to hear what's going on around me, even though they'll only be used at home. I do not like bass heavy headphones. My budget is around £30/$50.

I'm looking specifically for on-ear headphones. IEMs tend to hurt and have far too much bass, over-ears I'm afraid block out too much of the outside world and can also be uncomfortable. I've been using some AKG K319 earbuds, which are fine, but there seems to be a lot of sound I'm missing out on because they're so loose. I just have a standard on-board sound card, but would consider a discrete sound card down the road, if it wasn't too expensive, and if it made a difference in the games.

Amongst the ones I've tried are the following:

1. JVC HA-S160 Flats - These were a gift for family that turned out to be pretty good and are what made me decide I was missing way too much with the K319s. Too much bass for me though.
  2. Sennheiser PX100-II - I didn't like these at all. Too much bass and.. distant I suppose. It was like being invited to a concert, only to find out you're only there to set up tables for the after party. Underneath the stage.
  3. Superlux HD668B - I really liked these. I could hear all the instruments, it wasn't bass-heavy, and everything seemed pretty clear. If I remember right, whatever lies just above the bass was a little mottled, but they were really nice over-all. The problem was that they were really, really uncomfortable. I wore them for an hour and had a splitting headache.

So, as a quick recap: I'm looking for on-ear headphones, open or semi-open, mostly for gaming and some classic rock/folk (Zeppelin), not bass-heavy, for around about £30/$50. I'm in the UK so pricing can be a bit different than the US, often much higher. If anyone knows reliable dealers for new or used headsets here that would be helpful as well.

Thanks for reading - any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated! :)

I'll add to this that on a whim tonight I picked up a JVC HA-S600 after reading a review that mentioned how comfortable they were - just for the experience. I've found them really uncomfortable, about half an hour is all I can take before my head starts pounding and they're not even very big or tight
frown.gif
They're odd too, because some of the instruments sound ok, but the vocals are really muffled, like I'm in the room with the band but he's singing in the closet. I hadn't planned on keeping them as I really just wanted to try out the over-ears, but the way the reviewer was going on about them I was expecting a little more.

Anyway, there ya have it!
smile.gif

May 29, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #5,093 of 5,364
Quote:
I'll add to this that on a whim tonight I picked up a JVC HA-S600 after reading a review that mentioned how comfortable they were - just for the experience. I've found them really uncomfortable, about half an hour is all I can take before my head starts pounding and they're not even very big or tight
frown.gif
They're odd too, because some of the instruments sound ok, but the vocals are really muffled, like I'm in the room with the band but he's singing in the closet. I hadn't planned on keeping them as I really just wanted to try out the over-ears, but the way the reviewer was going on about them I was expecting a little more.

LOL, any review where the sound section begins with "Keep in mind, these are $50 cans" pretty much makes me close that browser tab.  No disrespect to the review, but I know what's coming after that.

Quote:
Quote:
redface.gif

Quote:
Hi guys, I've been reading for a few weeks and keep getting stumped on purchases so thought I'd finally join and ask for advice instead of throwing more money away. I'll be using them mostly for gaming (single-player first/third person games) with some classic rock and folk thrown in for good measure. I think I'd prefer more open headphones to closed as I like to be able to hear what's going on around me, even though they'll only be used at home. I do not like bass heavy headphones. My budget is around £30/$50.

I'm looking specifically for on-ear headphones. IEMs tend to hurt and have far too much bass, over-ears I'm afraid block out too much of the outside world and can also be uncomfortable. I've been using some AKG K319 earbuds, which are fine, but there seems to be a lot of sound I'm missing out on because they're so loose. I just have a standard on-board sound card, but would consider a discrete sound card down the road, if it wasn't too expensive, and if it made a difference in the games.

1. JVC HA-S160 Flats - These were a gift for family that turned out to be pretty good and are what made me decide I was missing way too much with the K319s. Too much bass for me though.
  2. Sennheiser PX100-II - I didn't like these at all. Too much bass and.. distant I suppose. It was like being invited to a concert, only to find out you're only there to set up tables for the after party. Underneath the stage.
  3. Superlux HD668B - I really liked these. I could hear all the instruments, it wasn't bass-heavy, and everything seemed pretty clear. If I remember right, whatever lies just above the bass was a little mottled, but they were really nice over-all. The problem was that they were really, really uncomfortable. I wore them for an hour and had a splitting headache.

So, as a quick recap: I'm looking for on-ear headphones, open or semi-open, mostly for gaming and some classic rock/folk (Zeppelin), not bass-heavy, for around about £30/$50. I'm in the UK so pricing can be a bit different than the US, often much higher. If anyone knows reliable dealers for new or used headsets here that would be helpful as well.

smile.gif

Thanks! 
smile.gif
  Honestly, you want a used SR-80i... you really do.  If you can't do that, then the SR-60i.  The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced of it because you really don't like dark, warm headphones.  I think that you're probably a lot like me in that you like a neutral pair of cans with just a bit of brightness to them.

May 29, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #5,094 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Yay! 
smile.gif
  Of course, you do realize that he's gonna ask you about all of the models you mentioned right? 
wink.gif

Now I'm scared. Asking me about 10 iems at a time!? Whoa. I should limit my suggestion to three. 

LOL, you helped him (and yourself) to death there mate! 
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #5,095 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
frown.gif

LOL, any review where the sound section begins with "Keep in mind, these are $50 cans" pretty much makes me close that browser tab.  No disrespect to the review, but I know what's coming after that.

Quote:
Quote:
redface.gif

Quote:

smile.gif

Thanks! 
smile.gif
  Honestly, you want a used SR-80i... you really do.  If you can't do that, then the SR-60i.  The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced of it because you really don't like dark, warm headphones.  I think that you're probably a lot like me in that you like a neutral pair of cans with just a bit of brightness to them.

Yeah that sounds about right.. I like to hear what was played, not what a headphone tells me to hear! I did really like those Superlux, but it was like being tortured at a strip club - I was really torn about the pros and cons!
rolleyes.gif

Looks like I might just have to save up my pennies and keep an eye on the for-sale forums, and ebay, of course. If I find a cheap set of the K420 maybe I'll get that to tide me over, but at £40 that's half a SR-60i and not quite half a SR-80i.. It's only £10 for a set of KSC75 shipped..

or... Maybe I'll just stick with the earbuds while I save!

I'll keep you posted with my final purchase, anyway
gs1000.gif
and if you ever need camera advice, I'm your man!

Thanks again
smile.gif

May 30, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #5,096 of 5,364
i have to correct me regarding the re400: it starts growing on me. it does pretty much every genre very well. while it is not a wow-factor iem, it is really good allround, comfortable, and non fatiguing for long listening sessions.

May 30, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #5,098 of 5,364
I am looking at some new headphones as a birthday present at the end of june (yes i can choose my presents), i am stuck between the KEF m200 and the B&O h3, i just wanted to know the difference in sound now that they are both available (at least in the UK)

May 30, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #5,100 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I think google translator has made ​​some mistakes.

You gave as judgment on comfort +1. It means that the headphones are not comfortable?

To say that the sound is artificial. It means that the effect resembles loudness?

No. +1 means that he agrees with me that xb500 is comfortable. Sounding artificial means that the sound is unreal and not natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back