Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 29, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #5,043 of 5,364
Quote:
At the same price in EU are the Westone UM2 and W2, Ortofon Q5 and Audeo PFE, .. I'm hesitating between any of those 4, to use with a Cowon J3 and no external amp (although I have a Fiio E17 but I don't want to carry this around).

I'm looking for something fun, not 100% analytical. Something which makes me enjoy the music, not requires me to analyze it. I'm listening to mostly MP3s in V2 VBR. No lossless.

I have IE7s and I find them a little erm... 'light' sounding, although not sure quite how basically. I love the soundstage on these though. the biggest issue is that no matter what tips I use, I never seem to be able to get these in comfortably :frowning2:

I'm assuming you mean the Sennheiser IE7? Are you sure that you're getting a good fit? I actually own them and by no means would I call them "light" sounding. In fact, they're a little veiled because of the thick bass and lower mids. The options you list are much brighter than the IE7. Having the Ortofon EQ5 myself, I can honestly say that they are much lighter sounding than the IE7. Assuming that you're getting a good seal with the IE7, I'm afraid you won't like any of the listed options. Moreover, the IE7 are rather forgiving of source quality, whereas the more transparent IEMs, like the eq5 and PFE, are definitely not. Oh and that IE7 soundstage is incredible; you will only find slightly better in the Sennheiser IE8/IE80, considering your price range. Apart from those, expect to lose a little soundstage..

What's your budget? Taking into account the price of the EQ5 in Europe, I think you may be able to find an IE80 in your price range. They should add a little more weight to the sound, though fit is probably as poor (so try them before buying!). Other options to explore might be the CKS1000 and GR07 Bass Edition, though to be frank I haven't heard either. Try asking in the appreciation threads!

May 29, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #5,044 of 5,364
Quote:

It's just too bassy for me.  I listen to almost every genre (except for Rap, Metal, and Chinese Opera).  And for a lot of what I listen to, "moar base" isn't exactly favorable.  I'll use them once in a while, but only when I'm in the mood for some infrasonic therapy. 
wink.gif
  Not that it matters a whole lot, but at this point I've pretty much driven them with every DAP and amp in my inventory.

Ok, now I understand :)

the mid how they behave?

But the bass find them too exaggerated and swollen that annoy, or is it a nice bass for your taste but this is too much?

These XB500 find them comfortable?

Finally I managed to find a shop in my area that has the XB500, in a few days will arrive in the shop so I try it and take off any doubt :)

If despite liking how they sound, but with the volume set high (max) should appear to be average, be trusted to buy an amplifier such as the famous FiiO?

May 29, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #5,045 of 5,364
Quote:

I wouldn't.  I myself tend to favor open-backed headphones, and will use them every chance I get.  My closed-backs only get love when I want to block out neighbors, or when I leave the house.  Even then, I tend to carry IEMs when I'm out and about.  So as long as you're okay with open-backed, I say go for it. 
o2smile.gif

Ah for some reason I thought you said you were limited by the 'open' requirement but it was the 'on-ear' requirement limiting suggestions. My mistake! Well, since I've brought it up, what would you suggest in the way of extremely comfortable over-ear?

Thanks again 
redface.gif

May 29, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #5,047 of 5,364
Quote:
Ok, now I understand :)

the mid how they behave?

But the bass find them too exaggerated and swollen that annoy, or is it a nice bass for your taste but this is too much?

These XB500 find them comfortable?

Finally I managed to find a shop in my area that has the XB500, in a few days will arrive in the shop so I try it and take off any doubt :)

If despite liking how they sound, but with the volume set high (max) should appear to be average, be trusted to buy an amplifier such as the famous FiiO?

XB500 are very comfortable. You probably won't have to worry about the comfort part. However, I found it to have exagerated bass, but the bass quantity is around the beats level but the quality is much better.

May 29, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #5,049 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm assuming you mean the Sennheiser IE7? Are you sure that you're getting a good fit? I actually own them and by no means would I call them "light" sounding. In fact, they're a little veiled because of the thick bass and lower mids. The options you list are much brighter than the IE7. Having the Ortofon EQ5 myself, I can honestly say that they are much lighter sounding than the IE7. Assuming that you're getting a good seal with the IE7, I'm afraid you won't like any of the listed options. Moreover, the IE7 are rather forgiving of source quality, whereas the more transparent IEMs, like the eq5 and PFE, are definitely not. Oh and that IE7 soundstage is incredible; you will only find slightly better in the Sennheiser IE8/IE80, considering your price range. Apart from those, expect to lose a little soundstage..

What's your budget? Taking into account the price of the EQ5 in Europe, I think you may be able to find an IE80 in your price range. They should add a little more weight to the sound, though fit is probably as poor (so try them before buying!). Other options to explore might be the CKS1000 and GR07 Bass Edition, though to be frank I haven't heard either. Try asking in the appreciation threads!

Great feedback thanks! I do love the soundstage on the IE7s, they sound huge. I may give them another chance, perhaps with custom tips. Budget would be £200 or the euro equivalent, depending where I buy. Unfortunately in Luxembourg there's no place to try any of these,

May 29, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #5,050 of 5,364
Quote:

Oh cool, looking forward to your thoughts on them.  I jotted down some notes in the RE-400, but I'll be honest in that it's been months since I've heard it.  Would be nice to hear a fresh perspective on it.

As for the BA200, haven't heard it. 
frown.gif
  Though, having grown up in the 80s, I do have a fondness for TDK.  If I get a chance to audition them, I'll PM you some impressions.

got the re400 today. hmm, to my ears they are a little cold sounding and the treble is not smooth enough for me. kind of a hard sound signature. i am more into rounded buttery smooth signatures. any alternatives?

May 29, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #5,054 of 5,364
Is there anything really similar to the Grado SR60? I was kicking around the idea of pushing for these till I looked at the price in the UK, they're around £100/$150, which is way over budget. I was thinking maybe closer to £50/$75

May 29, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #5,055 of 5,364
Looking to order my first custom IEM.  Right now I have Etymotic hf5 and ER4P, which I use directly hooked up to my computer or iPod/iPad.  I have mostly been looking at 1964 ears, but not sure on which model to get.  Money is not an issue, but would rather spend less if possible.  I have been looking at the v3, Q and v6.  I mostly listen to electronic music (dubstep, progressive house etc) so like to have bass (which I definitely find my etys are lacking, but not too badly).  As I mentioned before I won't be amping (so would the v6 even be noticably better from a relatively bad source?).  Any advice/thoughts appriciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back