Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 28, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #4,996 of 5,364
Justlog
the M4 are above average in terms of detail and precision, you shouldn't worry about that
smile.gif

May 28, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #4,997 of 5,364
Quote:

Wow, an M6?  Yeah, you definitely want to upgrade. 
biggrin.gif
  Are you able to wait for a little while?  MeElectronics has a new IEM coming out soon very soon.  I believe that it's a dual dynamic driver IEM, and it's gonna be called the M-Duo.  I had the opportunity to audition this a few months back, and for the genres you listen to, you'll love it.  If you can't wait and need something to hold you over, the RHA MA350 is both afffordable ($40) and will provide you with a noticeable increase in sound quality and performance.

Thanks for the reply.  Any suggestions if I wanted an over-ear IEM for those type of genres?  Also I will be listening with my ipod and laptop if that makes any difference.

May 28, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #4,998 of 5,364
Quote:
Justlog
the M4 are above average in terms of detail and precision, you shouldn't worry about that
smile.gif

I got to say after reading the review of which warren gave me the link to, those seem like quite a good option.
combined with a nice little amp(in the review he mentioned that they can gain from some amplification) I think those will might be a good pair of IEM's for me.

May 28, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #4,999 of 5,364
Quote:
I got to say after reading the review of which warren gave me the link to, those seem like quite a good option.
combined with a nice little amp(in the review he mentioned that they can gain from some amplification) I think those will might be a good pair of IEM's for me.

Justlog
then go for it!
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.  Any suggestions if I wanted an over-ear IEM for those type of genres?  Also I will be listening with my ipod and laptop if that makes any difference.

The Fischer Audio Eterna and the Shure SE 215 - both are OTE and bassy, with open soundstage

May 28, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #5,001 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

Justlog
then go for it!
popcorn.gif

beerchug.gif

May 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #5,002 of 5,364
Quote:
At the same price in EU are the Westone UM2 and W2, Ortofon Q5 and Audeo PFE, .. I'm hesitating between any of those 4, to use with a Cowon J3 and no external amp (although I have a Fiio E17 but I don't want to carry this around).

I'm looking for something fun, not 100% analytical. Something which makes me enjoy the music, not requires me to analyze it. I'm listening to mostly MP3s in V2 VBR. No lossless.

I have IE7s and I find them a little erm... 'light' sounding, although not sure quite how basically. I love the soundstage on these though. the biggest issue is that no matter what tips I use, I never seem to be able to get these in comfortably :frowning2:

Ima have to pass on this as I haven't auditioned any of those.  However, the Audeo is well regarded around these here parts.  And unless I'm mistaken, they are also discontinued.  So if you want 'em, now might be the time...

May 28, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #5,003 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Wow, an M6?  Yeah, you definitely want to upgrade. 
biggrin.gif
  Are you able to wait for a little while?  MeElectronics has a new IEM coming out soon very soon.  I believe that it's a dual dynamic driver IEM, and it's gonna be called the M-Duo.  I had the opportunity to audition this a few months back, and for the genres you listen to, you'll love it.  If you can't wait and need something to hold you over, the RHA MA350 is both afffordable ($40) and will provide you with a noticeable increase in sound quality and performance.

Actually, most IEMs can be worn over-ear without any issues, especially if you add ear hooks like:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TDQW3I/

May 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #5,007 of 5,364
I'm looking for a decent (or above decent) pair of IEMs that are under $200 ($210 at most). I listen to all kinds of music, but I mainly prefer electronic music (rave, dubstep, etc.). I also listen to a lot of adele, and some classical (piano and orchestra/band). Pretty much anything other than (most) rock and country. Basically, I'm looking for something bass-heavy, but still extremely clear. I'm no audiophile, and I'm upgrading from a pair of Monster Jamz, so I imagine that extremely high end 'phones like the shure 535s would be wasted on me (though they're too expensive anyway). They need to have music control (play/pause fwd/rewind) and volume control compatible with iPod. My Monster Jamz stopped working twice after a few months of normal use, and the third time the controltalk stopped working and the left side separated until my brother split it in half, so they need to be durable because I sleep with them, and my brother has no respect for anything. I would have chosen the Etymotic hf3, but they seem to be too long, so I couldn't sleep on my side (if you have anything different to say please do; my Jamz fit all the way into my ear, and they are 20mm from the end of the tip to the beginning of the cord). I'm used to constantly fitting and fiddling with my headphones, but the comfier the better. Isolation isn't too important, because I'm not usually in a noisy environment (but if better isolation means better bass, please suggest headphones with good isolation. I don't really care about the soundstage - if anything, I prefer it to be in my head (especially the bass). It also needs to be available (or shippable) in/to Calgary. Through some research and  the customer support of Earphonesolutions, Headphone.com, and Sonicelectronix and they've suggested the Nocs ns800, the denon ah-c560r, denon ah-c300, sony xba-4ip, the shure 215, and and finally, the westone um1. Oh, and I don't plan on buying an amp.

If I were to have a bass booster or treble reducer equalizer, would an armature driver be better than dynamic? (To "keep up" with my fast/varied/layered music?)

Thanks a lot for reading all that, and thanks again in advance for your help (I'm a complete newbie to the whole decent headphone thing).

May 28, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #5,008 of 5,364
Quote:
Price range, sonic preference, isolation, comfort? We need more info than rap and r&b.

Erm I am from the UK

so £100... I can stretch to £150 if they are great

I want in ear headphones, but not the ones that go behind your ear like the Shures. Just straight in ear headphones.

I want to use it for out and about plus on the train. 

May 28, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #5,009 of 5,364
Quote:
shure se215vs cx300ii vs se315(price is considerd!!)

SE215: Bassy with forward mids. Decent bass extension, but poor treble extension.
CX300ii: Aimed at public. Very bassy with bad placement/imaging as well as poor detail. Fair clarity.
SE315: Forward mids with recessed bass and treble. Slightly warm with very good mid detail and imaging. Decent sound stage.

Value wise, for me, I'll go for 215, but I liked the 315 as well.

May 28, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #5,010 of 5,364
Quote:
Erm I am from the UK

so £100... I can stretch to £150 if they are great

I want in ear headphones, but not the ones that go behind your ear like the Shures. Just straight in ear headphones.

I want to use it for out and about plus on the train. 

Monster iems like tribute and turbine. 
Audiotechnica iems.
Denon iems.
Spider Voice(well recommended by head-fi!)
Sorry, I really can't narrow it down more. I need more info on what kind of sound you are looking for. For mids, I think the spider voice will be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back