Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 20, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #4,666 of 5,364
Hi there,

Looking for a new pair of IEMs that fits a budget of $100 that has an emphasis on bass (at least over my current pair). I currently own the VSonic GR02 Bass Edition and I was a little disappointed at the amount of bass in them. I've read a lot about the Klipsch S4, but am afraid that it would be too much bass/losing out on the quality area. I'd still like to retain as much quality as I can throughout all ranges but I definitely need a lot more bass to satisfy my preferences. I listen to a large variety of music from Rock/Pop/Electronic/Indie/etc. These are meant to be an all-around pair that will be worn for long periods as well.

Thanks!

May 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #4,668 of 5,364
Hi there,

Looking for a new pair of IEMs that fits a budget of $100 that has an emphasis on bass (at least over my current pair). I currently own the VSonic GR02 Bass Edition and I was a little disappointed at the amount of bass in them. I've read a lot about the Klipsch S4, but am afraid that it would be too much bass/losing out on the quality area. I'd still like to retain as much quality as I can throughout all ranges but I definitely need a lot more bass to satisfy my preferences. I listen to a large variety of music from Rock/Pop/Electronic/Indie/etc. These are meant to be an all-around pair that will be worn for long periods as well.

Thanks!

I suspect you might not find enough bass in any IEM - you might need to look at full-sized headphones to get more bass slam. Even then, no headphone is going to provide the subsonic "Oof" in the gut of a really good subwoofer. In general, dynamic driver IEMs will tend to have more bass than BA drivers.

May 20, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #4,669 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Well highest I can hear is 18kHz so I guess it's not even close to 25kHz but I thought that if the earbuds are able to go that high then at around 20kHz or so won't roll off. Also if the Shure is 25hz then won't it roll off before that? So basicly if the Sony can go down to 5hz then it would not roll off around 20hz?

Something tells me you might find similar information and responses in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534324/affordable-sony-studio-headphones

Yeah, you should really check out that thread.  There was an example of someone that believed everything the manufacturer said.  It was kind of sad really.  I hope that guy never has to go shopping for a car, the sales people at a car dealership would eat him alive!

Quote:
if you keep punching someone in the stomach, sooner or later you are going to get puke on your shoes...

Or they'll pick you up and throw you to the ground.

May 20, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #4,670 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello All. I need help with finding a new pair of headphones. 

My current headphones are Klipsch Image ONE, that I originally bought because of the in-line controls and for portability. They have been decent, but the in-line controls no longer work and the ear cups can be annoying (too small and detach easily). I considered buying the newer version, but I wanted to see what else was out there and with better sound quality. I will be commuting by public transportation (Chicago) this coming school year and I will be spending time in a photo darkroom, so in-line controls are a must. I have bad luck with headphone cables. I tend to get them stuck in things, drop them in water, etc. So either a detachable cable, if possible with in-line controls or a decent warranty. Thanks in advance 
biggrin.gif

Portable
On-ear
open or closed, I listen to everything from ska to rap music to dance music
using with mostly with iPhone 5, iPod classic, MacBook Pro
In-line controls
detachable cable, if possible 
under 200$, 250$ max, if an amp can be used 

Well this is easy, V-Moda M-80.

May 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #4,671 of 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Hi there,

I hear Dunu DN-19 have quite the bass on them, that can be customized through the bass port. http://www.head-fi.org/t/641791/dunu-dn-19-review

biggrin.gif
  Beat me to it!

May 20, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #4,672 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There's a chance that it might not be bassy enough for you, but otherwise the RE-400 should be a close enough match, particularly in terms of the forward mids and relaxed treble.

Do you have any other recommendations as it Is mainly the bass and midrange that I am looking for. I do not want an overly relaxed treble, I just want something that does not sound harsh in the trebles as I hate the overly bright and harsh trebles of the ath-ckm500.Thanks in advance.

Guys?

Well, this is difficult for me as I have not heard the CKM500, so I'm not exactly sure what your threshold is.  Anybody here heard the CKM500?

May 20, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #4,673 of 5,364
Hello All,

I just joined the forum after lurking and reading up a little. I tried to read a lot of the reviews posted here to try to find what I am looking for, but came across this thread and saw it referenced a number of times and think it might be faster if I just ask for a recommendation from people in the know.

I play drum in a death metal band. We play out quite a bit and the monitoring setups at varioius clubs can be dubious at best. i use a trigger system for my kick drum and this is the most important part of my drums to be able to hear and keep straight at higher tempos. i have resorted to using IEM's for live playing so that I can hear my kick.

I bought a set of brainwavs R1's just to see if IEMs would work. They work out quite well, but our music is very loud and the r1s are not providing the isolation I need to prevent my ears from ringing from the sound leak of my cymbals and the guitars. Aside from that I am actually quite happy with the way they sound. I don;t really need tons of audiophile grade clarity, just decent bass and good transients so the fast kick drum notes don't become a sea of mush.

My price range is around 100 or so. I am used to 29-32 dB earplugs, so something with that kind of isolation, so i can run the trigger IEMs at low volume and save my poor ears.

Thank you in advance for your help!

EDIT: Did some more digging and found favorable reviews for the Shure se215's. Seems that for the amount of attenuation I am looking for in the $100 price range they are hard to beat. Thanks!

May 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #4,674 of 5,364
TwinQY,

Thank you and everyone for your recommendation of the UE 900's they sound great! I think I will make a custom cable, just for the fact that I'm not sure if I like the feeling of the cable that came with it, but other than that it is awesome!

May 20, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #4,675 of 5,364
Quote:
I suspect you might not find enough bass in any IEM - you might need to look at full-sized headphones to get more bass slam. Even then, no headphone is going to provide the subsonic "Oof" in the gut of a really good subwoofer. In general, dynamic driver IEMs will tend to have more bass than BA drivers.

Thanks for your input. I don't consider myself a basshead, but I guess that could be subjective. Right now if I equalize my GR02s I get about what I'm looking for, but that depends on the application and I don't always use a sound source where equalization is an option. That, and I prefer to have a pair of IEMs where I don't have to do anything to the sound to achieve what I'm looking for. I should probably mention I also have very small perforations in my eardrums due to past surgery, and while my hearing is great, I think my ability to pick up on the bass from an IEM is slightly reduced due to that fact.

I would possibly consider full-on headphones (and I have a really clunky pair at home that sounds pretty good), though I really would prefer something that I can fit in my compact laptop bag going from home to work on a daily basis. That and I just like the idea of having something very portable but with decent sound. I'd consider raising my budget a bit if I knew there was something that would fit what I'm looking for. I believe a couple suggested the Dunu DN-19 which I'll look into, but if there's any other options out there I'd love to hear them.

May 20, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #4,676 of 5,364
Quote:
TwinQY,

Thank you and everyone for your recommendation of the UE 900's they sound great! I think I will make a custom cable, just for the fact that I'm not sure if I like the feeling of the cable that came with it, but other than that it is awesome!

It's great to hear about a happy ending once in a while!  Thanks for posting the update. 
smile.gif

May 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #4,677 of 5,364
Hey all. I've been thinking of upgrading from my Shure SE215 to something more neutral. SE215s are just too boomy. My spending limit is $300. I'll be using them with my laptop and iPod without an headphone amp (at least not at the moment). I listen to all kinds of music ranging from classical to death metal. My main headphone is a Beyerdynamic DT880 and I want an IEM that sounds similar.

From what I've been looking at, the Shure SE425 seem to fit the bill, especially when looking at the frequency response charts from HeadRoom.

Of course numbers don't tell the whole story, so I'm wondering if I should go with the SE425 or consider something else, like the Etymotic ER4 (those have been touted as being very neutral). Any suggestions or thoughts?

May 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #4,678 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

I should probably mention I also have very small perforations in my eardrums due to past surgery, and while my hearing is great, I think my ability to pick up on the bass from an IEM is slightly reduced due to that fact.

I believe a couple suggested the Dunu DN-19 which I'll look into, but if there's any other options out there I'd love to hear them.

Okay, so you're not a basshead per se, but you do have reduced bass perception.  Well I still stand by the Dunu DN-19 Tai Chi.  If you adjust the ports and tips for maximum bass response, and it still isn't enough, I'm afraid we're gonna have to go off the reservation and start getting creative in our recommendations

May 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #4,679 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello All,

I just joined the forum after lurking and reading up a little. I tried to read a lot of the reviews posted here to try to find what I am looking for, but came across this thread and saw it referenced a number of times and think it might be faster if I just ask for a recommendation from people in the know.

I play drum in a death metal band. We play out quite a bit and the monitoring setups at varioius clubs can be dubious at best. i use a trigger system for my kick drum and this is the most important part of my drums to be able to hear and keep straight at higher tempos. i have resorted to using IEM's for live playing so that I can hear my kick.

I bought a set of brainwavs R1's just to see if IEMs would work. They work out quite well, but our music is very loud and the r1s are not providing the isolation I need to prevent my ears from ringing from the sound leak of my cymbals and the guitars. Aside from that I am actually quite happy with the way they sound. I don;t really need tons of audiophile grade clarity, just decent bass and good transients so the fast kick drum notes don't become a sea of mush.

My price range is around 100 or so. I am used to 29-32 dB earplugs, so something with that kind of isolation, so i can run the trigger IEMs at low volume and save my poor ears.

Thank you in advance for your help!

EDIT: Did some more digging and found favorable reviews for the Shure se215's. Seems that for the amount of attenuation I am looking for in the $100 price range they are hard to beat. Thanks!

Your right SE215 is solid. Also look at bass edition. 

May 20, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #4,680 of 5,364
Hello Everybody!

So, I've lost my IEM's (RE-0) and I'm looking for a new pair. Since my main DAP these days is my phone (HTC One), I'm looking for something that doesn't need an amp and preferably has a microphone. Going through threads I've come to the conclusion that the RE-400 would fit me perfectly... except they don't have a microphone. Another pair I'm considering are the Phonak PFE132. How do the two compare? I've discounted the RE-262, since they need seem to need an amp.

Necessary Info:
I have a fairly eclectic music taste.
I loved the sound of my old RE-0, but also the sound of my even older SE420. Still, I'm fairly adaptable to sound signatures, as long as they aren't bass monsters.
Budget is up to 250 USD.

Anything in that range with a microphone that's in the same league as the RE-400, sound quality wise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back