Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 19, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #4,636 of 5,364
Quote:
Just ordered the HP100. I keep reading that it has everything I am asking for in a closed headphone (good bass w/o recessing the mids/highs and a good soundstage). If they fit this criteria then I will be returning the SRH840s. They are very nice but my ears want more, they really want more, if they aren't happy then it's because they want more, they just want more, they really want more... 
darthsmile.gif

I dunno, I'm starting to thing that your ears want more.  This is how the slippery slope of Head-Fi works.  Before long, you'll have a few dozen headphones and want to go around recabling stuff for no reason.

Quote:
I'm still looking for a portable on ear headphone to fit my tastes... no luck 
frown.gif

Hmm, let's see how you like the HP100 first.  Your impressions on that should give us a bunch of info to work off of.

May 19, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #4,637 of 5,364
Well when I see the Frequency Response: 25Hz - 18.5kHz the Shure seems like it's not as wide as the Sony XBA 1.  Sony has Frequency Response : 5 - 25,000 Hz so doesn't the XBA 1 sound much better? Or is there not big difference on the two?

May 19, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #4,638 of 5,364
Quote:

I dunno, I'm starting to thing that your ears want more.  This is how the slippery slope of Head-Fi works.  Before long, you'll have a few dozen headphones and want to go around recabling stuff for no reason.

Funny but sooooo true.
beyersmile.png

Luckily, I haven't gotten into the DIY recabling.... yet... lol

Quote:
Hmm, let's see how you like the HP100 first.  Your impressions on that should give us a bunch of info to work off of.

Will do.

I only have, at the moment, an open can (Q701 w/memory foam pads) and an IEM (GR07) that aren't going anywhere. The HP100 should replace the SRH840 if I like it. Yes, they are all different, but are all somewhat similar in that they are all near neutral and fit my tastes for what they are. I just want my closed can to have a little more bass, that's all.

As for my on ears, if it falls somewhere in the vicinity of the others then I will be happy. But, then again, if I end up absolutely loving the  HP100 then I might prefer the on ear to sound similar to it more than the others.

I will keep you posted and thanks.

May 19, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #4,639 of 5,364
Well when I see the Frequency Response: 25Hz - 18.5kHz the Shure seems like it's not as wide as the Sony XBA 1.  Sony has Frequency Response : 5 - 25,000 Hz so doesn't the XBA 1 sound much better? Or is there not big difference on the two?

While physicly existent, frequency range says nothing about how one headphone will sound compared to the other. At most it's a marketing gimick to trick anyone that has little to no knowledge about headphones in basing his or her decision on that. It has been proven numerous times that even the mid high headphones roll-off at one end or the other before they rich the limit stated on the box.
Thankfully we have the head-fi community that shares its diverse headphone experience with anyone who is seeking guidance in choosing the right headphone.

May 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #4,640 of 5,364
Quote:

I've heard both the MTPG and the Beats Pro.  In both cases, I wasn't terribly impressed.  If it were me, and taking into account that I haven't heard the UE900 yet, I'd still go for the UE900 simply based on how many knowledgeable people here have recommended it. 

What about the monster turbine coppers?

May 19, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #4,641 of 5,364
Quote:

Well, human hearing more or less cuts out at 20,000 Hz anyway (20 Hz on the low end).  So unless you got super ears - or you're a bat - I wouldn't worry about it too much.

On a side note, I really think you should get out of the habit of reading too much into manufacturer supplied specs or packaging materials.  That information isn't very valuable most of the time.  If it were, sites like Head-Fi wouldn't need to exist and we should all just read packaging instead (WHICH WOULD BE A VERY VERY BAD THING
biggrin.gif
).

May 19, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #4,642 of 5,364
Quote:
While physicly existent, frequency range says nothing about how one headphone will sound compared to the other. At most it's a marketing gimick to trick anyone that has little to no knowledge about headphones in basing his or her decision on that. It has been proven numerous times that even the mid high headphones roll-off at one end or the other before they rich the limit stated on the box.
Thankfully we have the head-fi community that shares its diverse headphone experience with anyone who is seeking guidance in choosing the right headphone.

Well I guess I could ask this then which does sound better the Sony XBA 1 or the Shure SE210? I thought that the Sony would sound better since it's newer and has newer parts compaired to the older Shure earbuds. Also technology is a lot better today of course.

May 19, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #4,643 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

+1 to everything that Raster just said.

Quote:
Quote:
I've heard both the MTPG and the Beats Pro.  In both cases, I wasn't terribly impressed.  If it were me, and taking into account that I haven't heard the UE900 yet, I'd still go for the UE900 simply based on how many knowledgeable people here have recommended it. 

What about the monster turbine coppers?

Those I haven't heard.  Sorry. 
frown.gif

May 19, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #4,644 of 5,364
Quote:

Well, human hearing more or less cuts out at 20,000 Hz anyway (20 Hz on the low end).  So unless you got super ears - or you're a bat - I wouldn't worry about it too much.

On a side note, I really think you should get out of the habit of reading too much into manufacturer supplied specs or packaging materials.  That information isn't very valuable most of the time.  If it were, sites like Head-Fi wouldn't need to exist and we should all just read packaging instead (WHICH WOULD BE A VERY VERY BAD THING
biggrin.gif
).

Well highest I can hear is 18kHz so I guess it's not even close to 25kHz but I thought that if the earbuds are able to go that high then at around 20kHz or so won't roll off. Also if the Shure is 25hz then won't it roll off before that? So basicly if the Sony can go down to 5hz then it would not roll off around 20hz?

May 19, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #4,645 of 5,364
Hello, fellow Head-fiers,

I am seeking advice on purchasing a portable headphone. I had my fair share of IEMs. Even though to me it is the perfect option, the fact that my ear canal is far from the standard most IEM manufacturers follow and having to constantly re-position the headphones (I know I'm not getting a good fit either since sometimes times the bass is perfect, and 10 minutes later I can hear a dried up sound because of the improper seal [the tips pop-out]). I find that the Shure SE215 (first hi-fi headphone) was ok in terms of fit (must be the thinner nozzle compared to Sennheiser IE 60 [I even tried the comply foam tips]). So, right now I am torn between choices and compromises that have to be done in order to achieve that sweet music sound I'd like to hear while commuting to work:

1) Get a higher SQ Shure IEM (SE315; SE425) and make it work

2) Switch to Westone IEMs since the housing is smaller and the cable is nicer (I became fond of the over the ear IEM design because the housing doesn't stick out farther then the width of the ear)

3) A third worth trying IEM that has have similar features mentions above (I believe the nozzle must be similar to Shure IEMs)

4) One of the portable headphones: V-Moda M-80; ATH-WS77; ATH-WS99.

5) Any other headphone that fits the portable criteria.

*NOTE: I like my bass - it must have good response and quantity. The speed of bass is as important but I'd say takes 3rd place on the priority list. Mids and highs are no exception - must be on part with the price tag.

Also the soundstage must be fair: I understand that IEMs don't have the physical ability to produce a good soundstage (although Sennheiser somehow did it in their IE series IEMs), I'd say this is an important factor that decides the choice between IEMs and portables. Unless the IEMs can delive, the portables may end up being the right choice. 

To some it all up: Which of the type of headphone would be the right choice - IEMs (Shures, Westons, 3rd brand) vs portables (V-moda M-80, ATH-WS77, ATH-WS99); How the candidates compare in bass quality/quantity, as well as mids/highs/soundstage. I'll also appreciate any advice on getting the right fit with IEMs (most ear canals go towards the nose of the person, but mine is more straight with a small bend to the back of the head [I'm not a mutant :wink:]). I've spent hours on researching the portable headphones I have listed, and basing my self on reviews, I'm going towards the ATH-WS99. Although ATH-WS77 seams likes a more portable option, it would be a pity to miss out on having the advantage of the 53mm drivers present in ATH-WS99. I guess it all depends on how different the sound between the two is as the price is $100 difference. The V-Modas are a great headphone in terms of design and accessories.

My budget is around $300. It would be nice to spend half of that in case the ATH-WS77 are good enough. In terms of amplification - the plan is to drive the phones straight from the source (currently Sansa Clip+, and later HTC One) and own a FiiO Olympus (FiiO E10 DAC/AMP) for home use with my laptop. Future plans involve purchasing a JDLABS O2+ODAC Combo.

I thank in advance for any helpful advice and for the fact that you got through my wall'o'text :wink:

Thank you

I hate to be intrusive, but my question hasn't been answered yet. Any information will help as later on on I can just gather the pieces and look at the big picture (think table puzzles). Next week is my birthday and it would be a awesome if I manage to make up my mind till then.

May 19, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #4,646 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

Funny but sooooo true.
beyersmile.png

Luckily, I haven't gotten into the DIY recabling.... yet... lol

It's only a matter of time... might as well learn soldering now if you don't already know it. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Will do.

As for my on ears, if it falls somewhere in the vicinity of the others then I will be happy. But, then again, if I end up absolutely loving the  HP100 then I might prefer the on ear to sound similar to it more than the others.

I will keep you posted and thanks.

Yeah, please do.  And you're totally welcome!

May 19, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #4,648 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

Well I guess I could ask this then which does sound better the Sony XBA 1 or the Shure SE210? I thought that the Sony would sound better since it's newer and has newer parts compaired to the older Shure earbuds. Also technology is a lot better today of course.

That I don't know, as I haven't heard either.  Maybe TwinQY knows?  BTW, have you checked ljokerl's reviews yet?  Might be some useful information there...

May 19, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #4,649 of 5,364
Quote:
I hate to be intrusive, but my question hasn't been answered yet. Any information will help as later on on I can just gather the pieces and look at the big picture (think table puzzles). Next week is my birthday and it would be a awesome if I manage to make up my mind till then.

Wait, I totally remember this question... I could have sworn I answered it... lemme go look.

EDIT:  This didn't help much?  The portables part of it I mean.  We ruled out the Tai Chi afterward.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here/4605#post_9451601

May 19, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #4,650 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

Well highest I can hear is 18kHz so I guess it's not even close to 25kHz but I thought that if the earbuds are able to go that high then at around 20kHz or so won't roll off. Also if the Shure is 25hz then won't it roll off before that? So basicly if the Sony can go down to 5hz then it would not roll off around 20hz?

No.  You're making the assumption that there's some kind of predictable way to calculate roll-off based on the limits of the range, and that just isn't so.

EDIT:  BTW, have you done a search on this site for "SE210 review" or "XBA-1 review" yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back