Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 19, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #4,621 of 5,364
billy to the rescue! 
smile.gif

May 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #4,622 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
A buddy of mine is a huge Sony fanboy, about as big as they come.  I once asked him about the V55, and he told me that he considers it to be a moment of deep shame for Sony.

Oh no, this news makes me sad!

I read different opinions about the V55 for the web, I thought it was some good headphones for the sound I'm looking for me!

You have you ever tried them?

I'm having my thoughts always confused about headphones.

What could I do?

Yeah, sucks right?  I've never tried them, but I saw them on sale one day and was going to pick them up.  When I asked him about it, that was what he said.  And since he's a basshead, well, that pretty much killed any desire to get it on my part.  But wait, seriously, what's wrong with the S500?

May 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #4,623 of 5,364
Quote:

If you decide to go with an IEM, I think that the Dunu DN-19 Tai Chi would be best for you in terms of both signature and fit.  The amount of bass is tunable via a port/plug system and various tips.  And, perhaps more importantly, it comes with great earhooks that really help keep them securely in your ear.  I've recommended them as exercise/workout headphones several times for exactly this reason.

Thanks, warrenpchi. The Dunu's look like an interesting phone to me; definitely have style. Question: how do they compare to The Sennheiser IE60 and Shure SE215? Also any way to compare them to the Beyer COPs? 
biggrin.gif

Edit: Anyone has any experience with ATH-WS77 and ATH-WS99? How different are the two? Is the 53mm that muh worth it? I'm not interested in knowing if the soundstage is that much larger, since everything else seams to be similar.

Edit2: I read the review of Dunu DN-19 on Head-fi and I feel that I'd opt for for a more refined headphone, since there's still some space left to stretch out my budget.

May 19, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #4,624 of 5,364
Okay so I decided to change my criteria a bit since I want to save some more money. I want a pair of earphones/headphones that will deliver good sound that has minimum sibilance so the highs aren't piercing. I'm going mostly for clarity but if there is a slightly bass accentuated headphone that sounds great I would go for that as well. I want them to look good, be portable, be comfortabe since I wear glasses, and isolate enough to where the voices around me on the bus are less distinguishable and can stand up to being thrown around in a backpack. My budget remains at $100 but I would like to spend less. Someone recommended the Hifiman 'RE-400s and I will take that into consideration but I'm a bit skeptical since I haven't seen many reviews on it and I have never spent a lot on in ear headphones. The only headphone that I would consider spending more than $100 would be the V- Moda M-80s. Unless there is a headphone that catches my eye and looks like they would be worth spending more than $100 on, I would like recommendations under $100 please. K THX BAI.

May 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #4,625 of 5,364
Okay so I decided to change my criteria a bit since I want to save some more money. I want a pair of earphones/headphones that will deliver good sound that has minimum sibilance so the highs aren't piercing. I'm going mostly for clarity but if there is a slightly bass accentuated headphone that sounds great I would go for that as well. I want them to look good, be portable, be comfortabe since I wear glasses, and isolate enough to where the voices around me on the bus are less distinguishable and can stand up to being thrown around in a backpack. My budget remains at $100 but I would like to spend less. Someone recommended the Hifiman 'RE-400s and I will take that into consideration but I'm a bit skeptical since I haven't seen many reviews on it and I have never spent a lot on in ear headphones. The only headphone that I would consider spending more than $100 would be the V- Moda M-80s. Unless there is a headphone that catches my eye and looks like they would be worth spending more than $100 on, I would like recommendations under $100 please. K THX BAI.

FYI: Both of the times I have broken a stem off my IEMs, it was while they were in my over-stuffed leather briefcase, wrapped around my ipod. Being too lazy to put them in a case (I have several pouches and zippered cases) has cost me a total of ~$300. :xf_eek:

May 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #4,626 of 5,364
Hey everyone, I was redirected here after posting a thread.

I need some advice on buying a new IEM. I want something bassy, however I don't mind sacrificing bass for more quality. I'm looking into the Monster turbine pro golds, the Klipsch X10, and the UE 900. My current setup is beats pro with a Walkman E series NWZ-E473 MP3 player. Will any of these IEM's give me better sound quality? Thanks!

May 19, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #4,627 of 5,364
I was actualy surprised but I did listen to the Shure SE210 and I didn't know those were basicly the BA type earbuds. But does the Sony XBA 1 sound basicly like the Shure SE210? Or does it sound a lot better since it's newer? I did think the Shure sounded pretty clear but I just didn't know if the XBA 1 would sound even better.

May 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #4,629 of 5,364
Just ordered the HP100. I keep reading that it has everything I am asking for in a closed headphone (good bass w/o recessing the mids/highs and a good soundstage). If they fit this criteria then I will be returning the SRH840s. They are very nice but my ears want more, they really want more, if they aren't happy then it's because they want more, they just want more, they really want more... 
darthsmile.gif

May 19, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #4,630 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks, warrenpchi. The Dunu's look like an interesting phone to me; definitely have style. Question: how do they compare to The Sennheiser IE60 and Shure SE215? Also any way to compare them to the Beyer COPs? 
biggrin.gif

Edit2: I read the review of Dunu DN-19 on Head-fi and I feel that I'd opt for for a more refined headphone, since there's still some space left to stretch out my budget.

No worries, hope you find a great pair.  However, if you end up getting IEMs instead of headphones, I'd try to find out if you can score those earhooks from Dunu separately as I really think they'd help

May 19, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #4,631 of 5,364
Quote:

With the one drawback that they aren't too bassy, the RE-400 meets all of your other criteria.  I would highly consider them.

May 19, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #4,632 of 5,364
Quote:
FYI: Both of the times I have broken a stem off my IEMs, it was while they were in my over-stuffed leather briefcase, wrapped around my ipod. Being too lazy to put them in a case (I have several pouches and zippered cases) has cost me a total of ~$300.
redface.gif

Every single time I hear that story, a tiny piece of my hear shatters into a million pieces.  Actually no, not really.  But a little bit yeah.

May 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #4,633 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey everyone, I was redirected here after posting a thread.

I need some advice on buying a new IEM. I want something bassy, however I don't mind sacrificing bass for more quality. I'm looking into the Monster turbine pro golds, the Klipsch X10, and the UE 900. My current setup is beats pro with a Walkman E series NWZ-E473 MP3 player. Will any of these IEM's give me better sound quality? Thanks!

I've heard both the MTPG and the Beats Pro.  In both cases, I wasn't terribly impressed.  If it were me, and taking into account that I haven't heard the UE900 yet, I'd still go for the UE900 simply based on how many knowledgeable people here have recommended it. 

May 19, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #4,635 of 5,364
Quote:
I was actualy surprised but I did listen to the Shure SE210 and I didn't know those were basicly the BA type earbuds. But does the Sony XBA 1 sound basicly like the Shure SE210? Or does it sound a lot better since it's newer? I did think the Shure sounded pretty clear but I just didn't know if the XBA 1 would sound even better.

Originally Posted by DustinBroke /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Basicly my mom got them couple years agao and she doesn't use it anymore so I' am using it now. But if the XBA 1 or 2 is better then I should probley get those.

As long as she doesn't want that back anytime soon, I'd stick with the SE210 for a little while to get used to them.  You might grow to really like it, or really hate it, over time.  Give it a chance and see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back