Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 18, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #4,591 of 5,364
Quote:
I have a pair of AKG 702's and I want to use them at college during breaks.  I don't have a lot of knowledge of headphones and amps so I'd like some suggestions of proven portable amp/dac combo's that can drive these comfortably.

any help would be greatly appreciated

also is there a place where someone can buy used headphone stuff?

you can email me direct or I'll keep checking this thread for activity

romanshawn1968@gmail.com

forgot to add that I'm looking to spend about $500

Are you referring to AKG K702 ? Aren't those full sized cans?

May 18, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #4,592 of 5,364
Yes they are the full size can's,  AKG K-702's.  do you know of a setup I can carry in my backpack that will power them well?

I have combed so many reviews I'm getting dizzy and yet I can't find a single on that uses this very popular headphone with a portable amp/dac combo.

shawn

May 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #4,593 of 5,364
Quote:
The sound descriptor you had left is a bit vague. Perhaps expand on that (signature-wise, characteristics-wise)?
Not sure if you're either open to alternatives, or regarding the fact that the 3.Ais are much more bassier than the other two, not to mention more  tonally aggressive. Not as lush or laid-back as the X10s in this case.

sorry about that.
would like a little more bass quantity and impact than the x10 can offer currently.
i like having an intimate feel while being surrounded by my music.
was wondering which earpiece would allow me to enjoy the genres i mentioned better.

May 19, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #4,594 of 5,364
Hi,
 I am new to the forums here but i have been reading the forums for a while now. I would like some recommendations on a new IEM. The main genres that i listen to are pop, rock and EDM, mainly prog. and electro house. I currently own a v-moda m80 and my current IEMs are the audio-technica ath-ckm500. I will be using the IEMs when i am on the go as the climate here in my country is really hot. My current rig consists of my samsung galaxy s3> digizoid zo2 > ath-ckm500. I like my headphones to have a slight mid-bass emphasis, forward mids and a slightly relaxed treble( M80 sound sig.). Thanks in advance
wink_face.gif

May 19, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #4,596 of 5,364
I used to own a pair of Monster Miles Davis Tributes, but they broke down and were replaced with the Trumpets. I'm looking for an IEM that has a sound signature as close to the MD Tributes as possible: I really really loved the Tributes but don't want to shell out cash for them again knowing that they'll break down in 15 months of use.

I namely listen to 50's doo wop, so I'm looking for warm vocals and good bass that's forgiving with lower bitrate files/flawed recordings played on an iPhone 4. I am looking at the Monster Turbine Pro Gold at the moment, it seems to be a decent match. Anyone have any suggestions or opinions?

May 19, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #4,597 of 5,364
I currently use AKG K550 for noisy environment such as airplanes and street. Personally, the K550 at the first sight did not give me surprises of how it sounds, a little bit depressed mid, and average resolution of full range. But it is quite suitable for long time listening.
I also got a pair of JH16 with DX100 DAP and mostly using them in the library. I have to say that I can hardly focus on what im doing cuz JH16's detailed sounds kept rush into my ear. When I switch to K550, it became comfortable all of a sudden.

May 19, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #4,599 of 5,364
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a new pair of in-ear or around-ear (think: Sony MDR-J10) type headphones to use with my Nexus 4. I'll also probably be doing some exercise with them, so sturdy fitting is definitely a plus.

I don't have an amplifier, and I don't plan on buying one right now. My budget is also pretty limited, south of <$30 is appreciated. U.S. based purchase.

I mainly listen to classical rock, soundtracks and new age type music, so I don't need crazy bass but it would be nice to have some. It's the mid-range and upper-ranges that matter the most to me.

It would also be nice if it comes with a mic and controls to take advantage of calling at the same time, but this would just be a plus.

I've just recently started appreciating good sounding headphones with my JVC HARX-900, so I would like to carry it over with my portable audio.

What would you guys recommend?

May 19, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #4,600 of 5,364
Hi,
 I am new to the forums here but i have been reading the forums for a while now. I would like some recommendations on a new IEM. The main genres that i listen to are pop, rock and EDM, mainly prog. and electro house. I currently own a v-moda m80 and my current IEMs are the audio-technica ath-ckm500. I will be using the IEMs when i am on the go as the climate here in my country is really hot. My current rig consists of my samsung galaxy s3> digizoid zo2 > ath-ckm500. I like my headphones to have a slight mid-bass emphasis, forward mids and a slightly relaxed treble( M80 sound sig.). Thanks in advance:wink_face: .

anybody?

May 19, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #4,602 of 5,364
I have zero experience with earphones...
The only experience I have is with some headphones. I had the akg k 518 le(i think this is the model) and now I have the razer electra (for gaming).
I am looking for a pair of earphones that I'll be able to take out and I want the to have as good sound as possible.
My budget is about 60$ but it can easily go higher if needed.
I listen mostly to rock, and sometimes more base heavy music.
Thanks in advance :)

May 19, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #4,603 of 5,364
Quote:
lol. sorry for not reading previous posts. I was just in a rush.
It seems though I may just be getting the s4i II over the x10i and over the x7i due to its greater bass response with its dynamic driver over the other two with balance armatures.
Thoughts?

Haha, it's cool - I was just messin' with you. 
smile.gif
  Here's the thing, and I totally understand what you're going through, but I'm worried that the search for a nicely weighted low-end is forcing you to sacrifice elsewhere.  Since you seem to have the budget for it, might I have a suggest taking another look at the UE900 for something a little less compromising, and then utilizing bass boost or an equivalent EQ setting?  Please note that I have not heard the UE900 yet, and won't until later on in the month.  But I am in a similar situation as I listen to all genres... with EDM occupying a fair portion of my playlists.  And so far, my search for a single and adaptable universal without going over the $500 mark has led me to the UE900.  I know TwinQY recommends them wholeheartedly.

Alternatively, you might want to consider carrying a dedicated "fun" pair as well when you're in the mood for a little more LF heft.  In addition to my UE700 (which I would NOT recommend to you given your requirements), I also carry an RHA MA350 (MA450i if you need an iDevice remote) as a back-up fun pair.  It's got decent sub-bass but most of the emphasis on the low-end is centered on a warm mid-bass with a bit of boominess to it.  Mids are (rather surprisingly) not poorly recessed, and tend to give vocals a nice presentation.  There's a bit of a rise in the upper mids leading into the highs, but I wouldn't say that it's grating at all... and it does add just enough air as to not irritate you with a premature roll-off in the highs.  Given the $40 price point, I find it to be a fantasticaly good value proposition for that bit of "fun" that a lot of us seek from time to time.

BTW, I still think you're a little crazy for wanting to essentially downgrade from a freq-phase, but hey that's just me. 
tongue.gif
  It's like saying "heaven's cool but it's a little boring here, lemme go see what Earth is like for a while."

May 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #4,604 of 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenrom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Quote:
I have a pair of AKG 702's and I want to use them at college during breaks.  I don't have a lot of knowledge of headphones and amps so I'd like some suggestions of proven portable amp/dac combo's that can drive these comfortably.

forgot to add that I'm looking to spend about $500

Are you referring to AKG K702?

Yes they are the full size can's,  AKG K-702's.  do you know of a setup I can carry in my backpack that will power them well?

I have combed so many reviews I'm getting dizzy and yet I can't find a single on that uses this very popular headphone with a portable amp/dac combo.

Hey Shawn, I have a recommendation for what NOT to use if that helps.  Don't pair it with an O2. 
eek.gif
  I know it seems like it might be a good idea to pair a super clean amp (like the O2) with a highly analytical pair of cans (like AKG K/Q 70#)... but just trust me in that it's a bad, bad idea.  It's like paper cuts on your ear drums.

EDIT:  Oops, forgot something...

Quote:

also is there a place where someone can buy used headphone stuff?

Yes! 
smile.gif
  http://www.head-fi.org/f/109/for-sale-trade-and-feedback-forums

May 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #4,605 of 5,364
Quote:
Sennheiser IE80 versus Atrio MG7? (coming from Hippo VB)

Opinions?

Have not heard any of those three yet.  Sorry. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back