Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 16, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #4,486 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey, I am looking for an upgrade from my audeo pfe112 earphones. I don't mind going with sealed or iem as long as it sounds good. Transparency and balance would be my two priorities. I want something as close to natural as possible but I don't particularly mind whether leans towards the bright or dark side as long as it is close enough. My budget is $300-$400. I have been considering the se535, ue900, k550 and momentum. Any recommendations?  

Quote:
Any one has both the um2 and sm2v2? How do they compare to each other? I searched around these forums but there are very little information for these two iems. Am I better off with the BA 200 recommended? Or might as well get a um3/sm3v2?

BTW, I'm going to try an answer everything in the order that they were posted from here on out.  If you see that you've been skipped, it's because I don't have a recommendation or answer for you... at least not one that I would feel comfortable having you take action on.

So for prsfan (audeo pfe112 upgrade) and meowception (um2 and sm2v2) and 33Nick (ANC portable), sorry I got nothin'. 
frown.gif

Quote:
Quote:

RHA MA350.  It'll have the bass and sub-bass you want for hip hop, but not recessed/muddy mids for your R&B vocals.

Seconded. They're a great choice for hip-hop.

They really are, and for a fair portion of pop music as well.  Not exactly a pristine presentation, but very fun.

May 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #4,487 of 5,364
Quote:

Sure, I can understand that.  BA drivers are commonly considered to be relatively bass light (in terms of quantity).  As a result, many manufacturers start adding in more drivers, with the additional BA driver acting as a woofer to improve bass response.  So if you're looking for something to have more prominent bass, that second BA helps.  However, this does not necessarily mean that it sounds better.  The best BA IEM I have at the moment is a single BA (technically a moving armature, so MA).  And it has better bass than my dual-BA UE700.  BTW, if you're looking for something that has a lot of bass on a budget, you'd probably be better off with a well-balanced dynamic instead of a balanced armature.

So does that mean that if lets say I ever got the Sony XBA 1 then it would have no bass at all and sound tinny? I have a set of Sony MDR-EX300 earbuds and they do have good lows mids and highs but I think they are starting to wear out. But I thought that XBA series would sound great and lifelike sounds. But is the XBA 1 sound very tinny and doesn't have any low end? Meaning it will have less bass than the EX300? If it is the same then that would be great and if I got the XBA 2 then it would add little more low end so it will sound even better. Since even the XBA 1 looks like good earbuds and maybe better than the EX300 but I don't know.

May 16, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #4,488 of 5,364
Quote:
I posted here a few days ago asking for advice on portable headphones with bass. How are the JVC HAS600B's? Thank you!

Quote:

Mind you, I have not heard them, but I had the exact same question a couple of weeks ago.  I was told that they basically suck something awful.

A "V" is generally a basshead's preferred signature.  The highs are there just to make them feel like it's not ALL about bass, even if it is ALL about bass.  Not putting bassheads down, I was one, and still enjoy some skull rumbling from time to time.  A "U" tends to be the first step when breaking out of that.

Really? Ugh, I thought I finally found the perfect pair. They're cheap on Amazon and seem to have a "thumping" bass which what I want. I don't really like the AKG K81s because of the thin wiring and they don't seem worth the price (although I can't say for sure unless I order them). Any other suggestions for headphones under $35?

Anyone know how the Sony MDRXB400s are? Do they stay on your head so that you could move around with them and possibly use them when warming up (not actually running though)? Thanks!

May 16, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #4,489 of 5,364
Quote:

Hmm, well the opposite of the original solo would be something "n" shaped and mid-centric... but somehow I don't think you'd exactly want that per se.  I have a UE600 coming in the mail sometime in the next few days, and I think that might work for you.  If you don't mind waiting a few days, I'd be happy to post some impressions about them here when they come in.  TwinQY, got a rec for something with detailed mids and non-irritating highs with good bass extension but no boomy mid-bass hump?

Thanks for your answer! I have no problem waiting a few days. I'd really be happy about this.

May 16, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #4,490 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Sure, I can understand that.  BA drivers are commonly considered to be relatively bass light (in terms of quantity).  As a result, many manufacturers start adding in more drivers, with the additional BA driver acting as a woofer to improve bass response.  So if you're looking for something to have more prominent bass, that second BA helps.  However, this does not necessarily mean that it sounds better.  The best BA IEM I have at the moment is a single BA (technically a moving armature, so MA).  And it has better bass than my dual-BA UE700.  BTW, if you're looking for something that has a lot of bass on a budget, you'd probably be better off with a well-balanced dynamic instead of a balanced armature.

So does that mean that if lets say I ever got the Sony XBA 1 then it would have no bass at all and sound tinny? I have a set of Sony MDR-EX300 earbuds and they do have good lows mids and highs but I think they are starting to wear out. But I thought that XBA series would sound great and lifelike sounds. But is the XBA 1 sound very tinny and doesn't have any low end? Meaning it will have less bass than the EX300? If it is the same then that would be great and if I got the XBA 2 then it would add little more low end so it will sound even better. Since even the XBA 1 looks like good earbuds and maybe better than the EX300 but I don't know.

Well, let's keep in mind that I haven't auditioned the XBA-1, but ClieOS has this to say about it:  "Bass extends decently low, but slowly rolls off in the sub-bass region. It is decent in quantity, but nothing that will appeal to basshead."  Based on that, I would say that it probably doesn't have enough bass for your needs, but that doesn't mean that it's a bad pair of IEMs.

BTW, and this is just a point of curiosity, but is there any specific reason why you're primarily focused on Sony IEMs?

May 16, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #4,491 of 5,364
Quote:

Well, let's keep in mind that I haven't auditioned the XBA-1, but ClieOS has this to say about it:  "Bass extends decently low, but slowly rolls off in the sub-bass region. It is decent in quantity, but nothing that will appeal to basshead."  Based on that, I would say that it probably doesn't have enough bass for your needs, but that doesn't mean that it's a bad pair of IEMs.

BTW, and this is just a point of curiosity, but is there any specific reason why you're primarily focused on Sony IEMs?

When you say it slowly rolls off in the sub region what hz are you talking about when it starts to roll off? Like is it around 20hz?

Now for me focused on Sony headphones is that I always been a Sony fan and I liked there headphones a lot. They do last a long time and sound great. I always used Sony headphones for my music in the past. Even back when I was 16 I used them. I used the MDR-G73LP back then and those were great and a lot of people were still using older or cheaper headphones than me and some people called me the future boy since I even had a Sony MD player that time and everyone else was using CDs. Around year 2000 MDs were high tech and in Japan everyone used them and I did too. But in my high school others didn't use them and used only CDs that time.

May 16, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #4,492 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I posted here a few days ago asking for advice on portable headphones with bass. How are the JVC HAS600B's? Thank you!

Mind you, I have not heard them, but I had the exact same question a couple of weeks ago.  I was told that they basically suck something awful.

Really? Ugh, I thought I finally found the perfect pair. They're cheap on Amazon and seem to have a "thumping" bass which what I want.

Yeah, sad to say that the HA-S600 line is probably not it.

Quote:
Any other suggestions for headphones under $35?

Monoprice 8323.

Quote:

Anyone know how the Sony MDRXB400s are? Do they stay on your head so that you could move around with them and possibly use them when warming up (not actually running though)? Thanks!

As I understand it, they are basically the next version of the XB300.  If they fit anything like the XB300, they will fly off your head the first chance they get.

Quote:
Quote:
I have a UE600 coming in the mail sometime in the next few days, and I think that might work for you.  If you don't mind waiting a few days, I'd be happy to post some impressions about them here when they come in.

Thanks for your answer! I have no problem waiting a few days. I'd really be happy about this.

Sure, no problem!  I'll post some impressions here as I know a few other people were wondering about them as well.  In the meantime, here's what ljokerl thinks of them:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/logitech-ue-600-ear-monitor

May 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #4,493 of 5,364
Thx warren,

I asked here for a couple of reasons, for the mp3 player, i decided either to let it go just use the ipod , or on second though i could try the sansa 4 gb i think on amazon it is just 30 $.

As for the earphone, ihave the re400 on top of list , it is just that i read clieos review , where he put the gr07 on top of the re400 in terms of sound quality, while putting both in same category sweet and warm.

Thanks for recommending the amps i will check them out.

I think i will go with your recommendations but i need to check the gr07 because i feel it wont be detailed as the re400 , just to be sure.

Thanks for your help man truely appreciated.

May 16, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #4,494 of 5,364
Quote:
When you say it slowly rolls off in the sub region what hz are you talking about when it starts to roll off? Like is it around 20hz?

No, not really.  Now that you mention it, I'm not sure if ClieOS's exact definition of sub-bass matches mine.  But FYI, the Head-Fi glossary entry for sub-bass states that it starts around 80Hz.  BTW, I don't know a single person in the world that says sub-bass starts around 20Hz.

Quote:
Now for me focused on Sony headphones is that I always been a Sony fan and I liked there headphones a lot. They do last a long time and sound great. I always used Sony headphones for my music in the past. Even back when I was 16 I used them. I used the MDR-G73LP back then and those were great and a lot of people were still using older or cheaper headphones than me and some people called me the future boy since I even had a Sony MD player that time and everyone else was using CDs. Around year 2000 MDs were high tech and in Japan everyone used them and I did too. But in my high school others didn't use them and used only CDs that time.

Okay, I see.  Nothing wrong with that... and I have a few good friends that are massive Sony fans.  However, I feel compelled to point out that if Sony always makes the best products, then there would be no reason for the site to exist (as we should all just buy Sony stuff) right?  Sony makes some fantastically great products, but also some truly hideous ones (MDR-V150).  So, for the purposes of finding exactly what suits you best, I would suggest not sticking to the brand just for loyalties sake. 
smile.gif

Also, I happen to have a good friend that is a massive Sony fan, and he has the XBA-1, XBA-2, XBA-3, and XBA-4.  You might want to PM him and ask him what he thinks.  You can reach him here.

May 16, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #4,495 of 5,364
Thx warren,

I asked here for a couple of reasons, for the mp3 player, i decided either to let it go just use the ipod , or on second though i could try the sansa 4 gb i think on amazon it is just 30 $.

As for the earphone, ihave the re400 on top of list , it is just that i read clieos review , where he put the gr07 on top of the re400 in terms of sound quality, while putting both in same category sweet and warm.

I think i will go with your recommendations but i need to check the gr07 because i feel it wont be detailed as the re400 , just to be sure.

May 16, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #4,496 of 5,364
I guess I wonder is that does the XBA 1 sound like the EX300 earbuds since both have one driver. I don't know how big the drivers are but the EX300 has a 13.5mm driver so that's a nice size of course but the 16mm would be the best of course. It doesn't say on Sony about how big the drivers are for the XBA 1. I wonder if it's made completely different and not like older models they made like the EX300.

May 16, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #4,497 of 5,364
Quote:

No, not really.  Now that you mention it, I'm not sure if ClieOS's exact definition of sub-bass matches mine.  But FYI, the Head-Fi glossary entry for sub-bass states that it starts around 80Hz.  BTW, I don't know a single person in the world that says sub-bass starts around 20Hz.

Okay, I see.  Nothing wrong with that... and I have a few good friends that are massive Sony fans.  However, I feel compelled to point out that if Sony always makes the best products, then there would be no reason for the site to exist (as we should all just buy Sony stuff) right?  Sony makes some fantastically great products, but also some truly hideous ones (MDR-V150).  So, for the purposes of finding exactly what suits you best, I would suggest not sticking to the brand just for loyalties sake. 
smile.gif

Also, I happen to have a good friend that is a massive Sony fan, and he has the XBA-1, XBA-2, XBA-3, and XBA-4.  You might want to PM him and ask him what he thinks.  You can reach him here.

Well does this person know how the EX300 sounds like also? Since then he can tell me the difference comparing the EX300 to like the XBA 1 or so then I would have an idea on if I want the XBA 2 or so. I currently own the EX300 but the sound is starting to go bad like the bass isn't as good as before so I wanted to get new earbuds.    Btw are the V150 that bad? I use to own those and they weren't that bad. They are studio headphones so they are suppose to sound good. I did even own the V300 and those did sound better of course.

May 16, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #4,498 of 5,364
Quote:
Thx warren,

Of course, you're always welcome.  Sansa players are very popular here.  They are small, cheap, have SD card expandability, and support FLAC natively.  I think they are a solid choice.  As for the RE-400, I recommend that one because I've heard it.  I haven't heard the Vsonic GR07, so I can't say anything about it one way or the other.

And please, feel completely free to pick whichever one you feel is best for you. 
smile.gif
  I hope that you, as well as everyone here, finds exactly what they're looking for and gets back to what's really important... the music.

May 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #4,499 of 5,364
Quote:
Well does this person know how the EX300 sounds like also?

I just asked him, and the answer is no unfortunately.  Sorry. 
frown.gif

Quote:
Btw are the V150 that bad? I use to own those and they weren't that bad. They are studio headphones so they are suppose to sound good. I did even own the V300 and those did sound better of course.

Um... okay.  First, I want to point out that there are at least two different versions of the MDR-V150.  There was a version floating around in the 1980s, which I had and weren't that bad.  Sometime in the 1990's, they decided that it'd be funny to make them sound terrible.  Now, in answer to your question of whether the V150 are that bad, I direct you to this thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/534324/affordable-sony-studio-headphones

Quote:
I guess I wonder is that does the XBA 1 sound like the EX300 earbuds since both have one driver. I don't know how big the drivers are but the EX300 has a 13.5mm driver so that's a nice size of course but the 16mm would be the best of course. It doesn't say on Sony about how big the drivers are for the XBA 1. I wonder if it's made completely different and not like older models they made like the EX300.

We really can't compare them.  The XBA series uses a balanced armature driver while the EX series used dynamic drivers.  They're different techmologies altogether.  Just to give you an idea of how different they are, the EX300's driver is listed as 13.5mm because that's the diameter of the driver diaphragm.  A balanced armature has no diameter because it's not even circular.

Also, for the record, driver size has very little to do with sound quality.  If they did, then a 40mm Skullcandy should sound four times better than the world's best 10mm IEM... and I think we both know that's just not true.

May 16, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #4,500 of 5,364
Hello all
I am a long-term custom-IEM fanboy, but I have decided to try venturing seriously into the universal IEM world.
Cost: 500 dollars
Music: 95% Electronic Dance Music, 5% Classical
Sound: Fun with a strong bass emphasis
Previous Headphones: I currently own the JH 16 + JH-3A so bass performance is near the top of my list, both in quality and quantity. Since these will not be my reference headphones, I just want something that I can enjoy with my EDM-filled iPhone. Oh and I will not be using any sort of amp, just straight out from an iPhone 5.

I have been considering the Klipsch X10i since it is $350 and many say that its performance is stellar while satisfying bassheads. I have also thought about the UE 900. I am open to any other options and your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back