Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 12, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #4,339 of 5,364
Hey everyone, I'm trying to find a good over the ear headphone for around $300 or less. What I'm using right now is an Audio Techinica ATHESW9A which I really like, but had to send in for repairs. Time to see what else is out there I guess. 

I'm looking for something similar in size to the ATHESW9A since my ears are small and it fit them pretty well. I'll be using these during my morning commute, at work for hours at a time, and outside, so noise isolation is a must. It would also be great it they looked good sine I'll be wearing them out. What I normally listen to music wise is rock, electronic, and metal from bands like Tool, Nine inch nails, Muse, Radio head, Daft punk, and metric. These will also be unamped driven from my phone and PC. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

May 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #4,340 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for a new pair of IEM's for around 150 euros ~ 150 dollars (since the price in dollars and price in euro's are usually the same, even though the dollar is worth less)

I need help looking for a pair that will fit my ears, since I have a weird right-ear. My right ear has a lump of flesh that a normal person does not have.

I started looking for IEM's such as Shure 215's and Sony XBA's, Sennheiser etc.. and what struck me was the housing of IEM's. The housings are 'big'. This got me worried since I have a piece of flesh on my right-ear, that'll get in the way of said Shure 215 (guessing from the size of these things). So I really am wondering if those kind of things can fit my right ear.

Well, the sound signature might run a little hot for you, however it's worth noting that my UE700 has a very tiny housing:

May 12, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #4,341 of 5,364
Quote:
Warren,
I am looked at those Senns you linked but they seem a bit too large for what I am looking for. I like over the ear like that but I think on ear might suite me better for commuting and such. Especially the hot summer in NYC. 

What is your opinion of something like the AKG Q460 ? Sennheiser PX200II or something similar style but better quality (and $). I guess I'm trying to go as portable as possible w/o using earbuds. 

I want as clear vocals as possible ( listening to something like this - http://youtu.be/YznLo_jjirk )

FYI, I really appreciate your responses and help thus far. 

For clear vocal forget the PX200's they are quite dissapointing.. In all seriousness you would be better off buyning a pair of Koss KSC75' and a pair of sporta pros , and swap the 75 drivers onto the sporta pro headband.

I am curious as to why you have ruled out the AKG's?

May 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #4,342 of 5,364
Hello. I've been lurking these forums for quite a few months now and have learned quite a bit from you all. I have to say that the community here is great, respectful, and very knowledgeable. Years ago I started out with (what I initially thought was excellent) Studio Beats by Dre. Shame on me, I know. They grew very fatiguing and I eventually realized they were mass marketed bass exaggerated headphones with boosted treble to compensate. I grew sick of them and sold them.

Through lurking head-fi and some additional research I have purchased the P5, then AKG K550, and lastly, Grado SR325is. Unfortunately, the P5 was the ivory variant and pretty much prone to visible wear and dirt. The white leather ear pads started to get dirty the more I used them. I know they sell replacements and I was almost tempted to get them but I ended up getting some water on the headband, which after drying left a visible water stain. Basically, I can't have these. It's not bad but it bothers me enough to when I look at them, I sigh. Call it OCD I guess.

I gave them away and long story short, I'm looking for something to replace them. I enjoyed the sound and I thought I would ask the folks here as to what some recommendations they have in that price range are. I also liked how aesthetically pleasing the P5s were. How about something that both looks and sounds great? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

May 12, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #4,343 of 5,364
Quote:
No worries :)

Just looking to replace my breaking X10i's and hoping to upgrade while i'm at it. Something that sounds similar bass-wise for rock music and hopefully mic and phone controls to run off a SGS3 unamped. Was considering the XBA-30ip's, have found a few other options that sound good like CNK70, RE-400, JVC FX700 but don't have the phone controls/mic. Looking so spend around $200, maybe up to $300 if it's worth it, thanks!

EDIT: really like the sound of the UE900's but way too over budget

Try the Yamaha EPH-100. They have a somewhat similar sound signature with a little more bass. They work well with rock music IMHO. But no mic :frowning2:

May 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #4,344 of 5,364
Hey!  I feel like a broken record lately.  I've upgraded my cans lately and fell like I don't want my IEM's to feel left out.  I'll admit I've never spent more than maybe $20 on a pair of in-ears, but I can't stand to go from my Grados or Sennheisers to my current MEElectronic M6's any longer.  They just seem so washed out to me, compared to my sennheisers, less clear.  I don't like really high highs, sometimes in my sennheisers a vocal part will make me clench my teeth/shiver because of how high it is.... (does that mean something? I really am curious what that is...) I really don't want to spend more than $70 ($50 would be ideal)... I know that's limited and if at that level it's just a crap shoot then so be it, but either way here's some more info to help:

I don't really know if I've heard a balanced armature earbud before, so I have no clue the answer if i prefer those or not.

My music tastes:  ambient electronic/electronic (m83, explosions in the sky, Sigur Ros, Eluvium, ratatat), jazz/new jazz (Portico Quartet, The bad plus, the Cinematic Orchestra), some hip hop (Common, Kid Cudi, a tribe called quest), indie folk (weepies).    <-------- Basically a wide range, but definitely the first category alot!

I've been looking at these (in that lesser price range):
Brainwavs R1 ($39.50)
Ultimate Ears UE600/Superfi 5 (49.95/59.95 respectively) (They are the same thing right?)
Rock It Sounds R-30 ($70)
Rock It sounds R-20 ($50)
MEElectronics A151 ($51)

The list can go on and on and on and on... I'm very open to suggestions!

Some more info:  I like the idea of the foam comply tips but have never tried them, only silicon.  I'd be wearing them walking around town and on the bus and whatnot, probably bringing them to school with me as well.  I don't care about button control or really even a mic.  I have an e07k amp/dac and an iphone 4s (mostly 256 aac) and iPOD classic (6th gen rockboxed w/ 320 cbr mp3s and .flac)

I'm not sure if that's enough info, but I hope someone can give me a hand picking out some new IEMs!

May 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #4,345 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello forum!
Im thinking of getting a new UIEM in the range of $400-500. I mainly listen to indie songs and occasionally rock and high bass songs.
I look for detail,isolation,instrument separation and most importantly how neutral it is.
I have been looking all over the internet and have narrowed my choices to:
  1. Westone 4R
  2. Westone UM3x
  3. Ue900
  4. SE535
  5. Heir 4.Ai

If there's anything else i should try out please let me know :D. Thank you so much in advance for the advice :).

Personally, I've been growing increasingly curious about the Grado GR10.  From my research thus far, it seems to be much of what you're describing.  If I end up getting it before you've made a decision, I'll send some impressions your way.

Quote:
hey guys, im new and i need some serious help. I purchased some ath-m50 since everyone talked so highly of them but i found that they crackle a bit, the headband material bundles up and creates lumps when worn, and that these are very awkward to wear in public. I am looking to return them and purchase new headphones that have a similar sound quality of rich bass without distortion of mids and highs. These headphones should be under $200 and be portable. The looks are somewhat important, i just don't want really ugly headphones. I listen to hip-hop, rap, and alternative and i'm not looking to buy an amp. I do not want in ear models either. Thanks for the help!

I'm inclined to say the V-Moda M-100 (possibly used to fit your budget)... but something tells me that you might think it too bassy.

Quote:
Hey!  I feel like a broken record lately.  I've upgraded my cans lately and fell like I don't want my IEM's to feel left out.  I'll admit I've never spent more than maybe $20 on a pair of in-ears, but I can't stand to go from my Grados or Sennheisers to my current MEElectronic M6's any longer.

I don't really know if I've heard a balanced armature earbud before, so I have no clue the answer if i prefer those or not.

I've been looking at these (in that lesser price range):
Brainwavs R1 ($39.50)
Ultimate Ears UE600/Superfi 5 (49.95/59.95 respectively) (They are the same thing right?)
MEElectronics A151 ($51)

Some more info:  I like the idea of the foam comply tips but have never tried them, only silicon.

I think that you'll like a BA's mids, just need to be careful about finding one where the highs aren't too hot for you.  Lol @ the transition to M6 BTW.

I've got a pair of UE600 on order, should be here within a week.  I'm hoping that it will offer me more or less what you're looking for above.  Yes, I believe that they are the same thing as the Super.Fi 5... and the UE600 comes with a pair of Complys (bonus?).  I also have the Meelec A151 but it's still in the box in the closet (long story as to why I haven't opened them).

May 12, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #4,347 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Guys is the jvc s500 better than the beats solo? I already have the solo and was wondering if I should buy the jvc

bump

I haven't heard the S500, but just out of curiosity, which Solo? 

A)  Beats Solo
B)  Beats Solo HD (Monster era)
C)  Beats Solo HD (post Monster era)

May 12, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #4,349 of 5,364
Then even though I have yet to hear the S500, based solely on my experience of having heard the Solo, I'd say that it probably sounds WAY better than the Solo.  For the record, the original Solo exemplies (for me) how NOT to make a pair of headphones.

May 12, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #4,350 of 5,364
Quote:

I think that you'll like a BA's mids, just need to be careful about finding one where the highs aren't too hot for you.  Lol @ the transition to M6 BTW.

I've got a pair of UE600 on order, should be here within a week.  I'm hoping that it will offer me more or less what you're looking for above.  Yes, I believe that they are the same thing as the Super.Fi 5... and the UE600 comes with a pair of Complys (bonus?).  I also have the Meelec A151 but it's still in the box in the closet (long story as to why I haven't opened them).

So you think the UE600 would be a good fit?  Gosh, I'm nervous about this purchase lol!  I think you should open the box and let me know how they sound :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back