Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #4,351 of 5,364
Quote:
The usual places yeah, the stress reliefs on the left are split almost all the way to the metal tube.

If they sound similar to the X10's i'd be happy, though the smoothness of these are great. If it wasn't such a widely known issue i'd just buy another pair.

Nah, volume control doesn't work, however pause/play, double-click for next track and triple click for previous work great with Poweramp!

Hmm, well keep in mind that despite the similar bass-mid cohesion, treble still has that grain and slight tinge on the Sonys. Also the remote is a bit more "plasticky" and thin compared to the X10s. 

Not trying to talk it down though, they have it beat in terms of lateral stage size, very expansive. Usually people haven't complained too much about defects, so give it a go, why not.

Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for a new pair of IEM's for around 150 euros ~ 150 dollars (since the price in dollars and price in euro's are usually the same, even though the dollar is worth less)

I need help looking for a pair that will fit my ears, since I have a weird right-ear. My right ear has a lump of flesh that a normal person does not have.

I started looking for IEM's such as Shure 215's and Sony XBA's, Sennheiser etc.. and what struck me was the housing of IEM's. The housings are 'big'. This got me worried since I have a piece of flesh on my right-ear, that'll get in the way of said Shure 215 (guessing from the size of these things). So I really am wondering if those kind of things can fit my right ear.

E.G. this guy with the Sony XBA's, I think the housing wont fit into my right-ear:
http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2011/mpa/62211572/xba_worn_600x300.jpg

I then looked for Etymotic HF5's and though it seems like they can most likely fit my ear, I still am looking for help from others. In case I miss something.

I used to have a pair of Sunrise SW-Xcape IE, but they hurt my ears. They were a little bit loose and if I wanted to insert them deeper into my ear canal, the housing touched my ears and caused stress around it. I can insert a pair of earplugs about 1.5cm into my ears. The IEM's that samsung provides with their smartphone, the white one with volume control, shipped default with GS3 and GS4 and most likely other mobile phone models from samsung, fit me. Though the flanges are a little too small. It's still a little bit loose with the biggest flanges.
My sister has sennheiser CX300's and I like to insert them very deep into my ear. My preference is most likely deep-insertion, so Etymotic's seem interesting.

These should also be durable since I will most likely store them in my jacket (in a separate section) and use these when I don't have my headphones with me. I used to have a pair of cheap ass sony IEM's and they lasted about 4 years before finally breaking, the housing broke. So I guess I'm quite careful for my IEM's. But still, durability is important.

What I'm looking for in the IEM's are:
-Comfort
-Durability (big key, since I will store them in my jacket)
-Isolation

Source: samsung galaxy S4
Sound wise, a resemblance to the HE400 and HD25 are preferred with the lush mids of the MDR-1R :p
Volume controls are nice, but not a requirement.

I currently have a hifiman HE-400, sennheiser HD 25 1-II, Sony MDR-1R. (And an ipod classic with e07k, but I will most likely not use the IEM's with the ipod setup)

Just a side note, I have a similar growth, except that it grows outwards instead.

Comfort (in this case), durability, isolation - taking in the practical factors the Etys are a cinch. Better safe than sorry. But sound wise, they definitely aren't lush - that would go to the similarly shaped X10 - though the volume controls likely won't work on your S4 (if you read the quote above me though they've got it working fine otherwise), but the build thing he experienced is definitely something to consider. 

The Etys have a similar level of crispness, clarity, immediacy as does the HE-400, but the tonal balance is rather disparate as they have slightly elevated upper-mids as compared to the HE-400's shelf in that area. But considering the fit, you most likely will have to compromise on some areas in terms of sound - there simply aren't many IEM with a similar tonal balance as with the HiFiMANs. The UE900s are the closest I can think of but that's irrelevant to your situation.

Quote:
Hello forum!
Im thinking of getting a new UIEM in the range of $400-500. I mainly listen to indie songs and occasionally rock and high bass songs.
I look for detail,isolation,instrument separation and most importantly how neutral it is.
I have been looking all over the internet and have narrowed my choices to:
  1. Westone 4R
  2. Westone UM3x
  3. Ue900
  4. SE535
  5. Heir 4.Ai

If there's anything else i should try out please let me know :D. Thank you so much in advance for the advice :).

Out of the lot, immediately the W4R or the UM3X can be singled out as being not particularly "neutral". Both are lush and forward in the mids, the W4s have an especially prominent bump in the midbass. The smaller nozzles on the Westones also lead to less isolation in general, at least when compared to the other choices. Separation is amazingly prominent within the role of the UM3X's presentation, and it is linear-ish for the most part though, so would still keep that in the running - the W4s - less so unless you're willing to add some extra resistance with an impedance adapter - brings the treble up for a tad bit more balance. 

The SE535s are a tad mid forward and rather linear, at least in the bass. But the lack of treble and basically a lack of attack during leading note transients give it a lesser sense of dynamics and technicalities - i.e. the separation and other technical qualities aren't as apparent off the bat.

No comment on the 4.Ai as the length of auditioning time was less than ideal, also I didn't care much for it as the UE900s were just next to it and it was much more attention-grabbing.

The UE900s - detailing is very evident (natural detailing and microdetail is around the same for the 5, but the 900s push out a bit more due to the clearer presentation - which also aids in separation and other technical aspects). Isolation is slightly better than the rest (apart from maybe the Shures) for me due to the nozzle size, although your results might differ. VERY linear, a slight dip in the upper mids, subbass has a slight bump (it smooths out and is basically flat to these ears - much like the HE-400 experience) and the treble has a tad bit of sparkle but remains smooth as well. Although the note presentation emphasizes clarity without being edgy or abrasive. Subjectively I also like these better for the genres you listed, but that would also vary from person to person.

I think you can guess by now which one I'm voting for 
wink.gif

Quote:
hey guys, im new and i need some serious help. I purchased some ath-m50 since everyone talked so highly of them but i found that they crackle a bit, the headband material bundles up and creates lumps when worn, and that these are very awkward to wear in public. I am looking to return them and purchase new headphones that have a similar sound quality of rich bass without distortion of mids and highs. These headphones should be under $200 and be portable. The looks are somewhat important, i just don't want really ugly headphones. I listen to hip-hop, rap, and alternative and i'm not looking to buy an amp. I do not want in ear models either. Thanks for the help!

Ouch, never experienced the bundling thing but then again, it's not like I owned them for a significant period of time - rather, I was a tad bit late on the M50 front. 

Rich bass, clean mids/treble, looks nice, under 200, more portable - I think I'll have to put my vote in for the M-80. 

Quote:
hey i'm looking to buy some new IEM's and was sold on Phonak PFE 122's. but then i heard of the new b and o h3's and wanted to know the difference in sound.

Don't think many have had those since they are relatively new (last month-ish release...wait are they even out to the public yet?). Warren might have, but I wouldn't be sure.

Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm trying to find a good over the ear headphone for around $300 or less. What I'm using right now is an Audio Techinica ATHESW9A which I really like, but had to send in for repairs. Time to see what else is out there I guess. 

I'm looking for something similar in size to the ATHESW9A since my ears are small and it fit them pretty well. I'll be using these during my morning commute, at work for hours at a time, and outside, so noise isolation is a must. It would also be great it they looked good sine I'll be wearing them out. What I normally listen to music wise is rock, electronic, and metal from bands like Tool, Nine inch nails, Muse, Radio head, Daft punk, and metric. These will also be unamped driven from my phone and PC. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

I can't imagine something being over the ear but yet being of a similar size to the on-ear ESW9A. Not to mention something that would (presumably) have to sound good and isolate. Perhaps some clarification, compromise, etc?

Also genres are helpful, but in the long run we all value different presentations of different genres. Stating sound/signature preferences, specific characteristics you look for when listening to said genres, etc, would be vastly more helpful.

Quote:
Hello. I've been lurking these forums for quite a few months now and have learned quite a bit from you all. I have to say that the community here is great, respectful, and very knowledgeable. Years ago I started out with (what I initially thought was excellent) Studio Beats by Dre. Shame on me, I know. They grew very fatiguing and I eventually realized they were mass marketed bass exaggerated headphones with boosted treble to compensate. I grew sick of them and sold them.

Through lurking head-fi and some additional research I have purchased the P5, then AKG K550, and lastly, Grado SR325is. Unfortunately, the P5 was the ivory variant and pretty much prone to visible wear and dirt. The white leather ear pads started to get dirty the more I used them. I know they sell replacements and I was almost tempted to get them but I ended up getting some water on the headband, which after drying left a visible water stain. Basically, I can't have these. It's not bad but it bothers me enough to when I look at them, I sigh. Call it OCD I guess.

I gave them away and long story short, I'm looking for something to replace them. I enjoyed the sound and I thought I would ask the folks here as to what some recommendations they have in that price range are. I also liked how aesthetically pleasing the P5s were. How about something that both looks and sounds great? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Any criteria sound-wise? Sound signature, genres, particular characteristics that you prioritize while listening to said genres? Not to mention build, comfort, size, isolation, etc (nothing white and easily stain-prone - got it)

Quote:
Hey!  I feel like a broken record lately.  I've upgraded my cans lately and fell like I don't want my IEM's to feel left out.  I'll admit I've never spent more than maybe $20 on a pair of in-ears, but I can't stand to go from my Grados or Sennheisers to my current MEElectronic M6's any longer.  They just seem so washed out to me, compared to my sennheisers, less clear.  I don't like really high highs, sometimes in my sennheisers a vocal part will make me clench my teeth/shiver because of how high it is.... (does that mean something? I really am curious what that is...) I really don't want to spend more than $70 ($50 would be ideal)... I know that's limited and if at that level it's just a crap shoot then so be it, but either way here's some more info to help:

I don't really know if I've heard a balanced armature earbud before, so I have no clue the answer if i prefer those or not.

My music tastes:  ambient electronic/electronic (m83, explosions in the sky, Sigur Ros, Eluvium, ratatat), jazz/new jazz (Portico Quartet, The bad plus, the Cinematic Orchestra), some hip hop (Common, Kid Cudi, a tribe called quest), indie folk (weepies).    <-------- Basically a wide range, but definitely the first category alot!

I've been looking at these (in that lesser price range):
Brainwavs R1 ($39.50)
Ultimate Ears UE600/Superfi 5 (49.95/59.95 respectively) (They are the same thing right?)
Rock It Sounds R-30 ($70)
Rock It sounds R-20 ($50)
MEElectronics A151 ($51)

The list can go on and on and on and on... I'm very open to suggestions!

Some more info:  I like the idea of the foam comply tips but have never tried them, only silicon.  I'd be wearing them walking around town and on the bus and whatnot, probably bringing them to school with me as well.  I don't care about button control or really even a mic.  I have an e07k amp/dac and an iphone 4s (mostly 256 aac) and iPOD classic (6th gen rockboxed w/ 320 cbr mp3s and .flac)

I'm not sure if that's enough info, but I hope someone can give me a hand picking out some new IEMs!

I think you're trying to describe the effects of sibilance - won't get into ear resonance or anything. So something not harsh. Since you have a variety of choices it'd probably do you better if you specified more in terms of actual sound preferences - it doesn't have to be filled with jargon, just try your best at describing whichever characteristic you enjoy while listening - as genres can be enjoyed with varying presentations so that makes specifying those slightly less helpful than specifying actual sound preferences. 

Also heck no Explosions In the Sky isn't that watered down, it's still post-rock for the most part - how dare you refer to it as being ambient! 
biggrin.gif

Out of the lot though, some basic sound descriptions of the above choices:
R1 - bass-mid heavy, can be a bit overbearing, transient response and very slow decay leads to perceived lack of speed and "muddled" sound. Also a tad bit dark.
UE600 - rebranded SuperFi 5s, yes - some have reported worse build compared to the old UEs - warmth, clean, A bit of a U/V to these ears although lower mids are filled out.
R-30 - warm, pleasant, very nice soundstage width, mid-forward. Treble is pushed back but not terribly rolled off.
R-20 - punchy, tactile in a sense, warm, Ety-like upper mids (that is to say, emphasised).
A151 - also punchy, but dark and very non-fatiguing. Extraordinarily clean - probably the cleanest out of the lot.

May 12, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #4,353 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

I've got a pair of UE600 on order, should be here within a week.  I'm hoping that it will offer me more or less what you're looking for above.  Yes, I believe that they are the same thing as the Super.Fi 5... and the UE600 comes with a pair of Complys (bonus?).

So you think the UE600 would be a good fit?  Gosh, I'm nervous about this purchase lol!  I think you should open the box and let me know how they sound :wink:

I'm certainly hoping that the UE600 will be what I want it to be, but don't know since the UE600 is not here yet. 
redface.gif
  I'd be happy to shoot over impressions when it comes in, but just know that the $50 sale price on the UE600 won't last forever.  In fact, it briefly went up last week because the one seller that was offering it at $50 ran out of stock (since replenished).

Quote:
Quote:
hey i'm looking to buy some new IEM's and was sold on Phonak PFE 122's. but then i heard of the new b and o h3's and wanted to know the difference in sound.

Don't think many have had those since they are relatively new (last month-ish release...wait are they even out to the public yet?). Warren might have, but I wouldn't be sure.

Nope, not yet.  Got a couple of reviewer buddies that might be getting samples though.  I hope to get an audition at T.H.E. Show in Newport later on this month though.

Quote:
UE600 - rebranded SuperFi 5s, yes - some have reported worse build compared to the old UEs - warmth, clean, A bit of a U/V to these ears although lower mids are filled out.

Hmm... 
blink.gif
  Well Amazon's got an excellent return policy so not worried.

Quote:
A151 - also punchy, but dark and very non-fatiguing. Extraordinarily clean - probably the cleanest out of the lot.

You're making me really want to open them now...
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Then even though I have yet to hear the S500, based solely on my experience of having heard the Solo, I'd say that it probably sounds WAY better than the Solo.  For the record, the original Solo exemplies (for me) how NOT to make a pair of headphones.

right,thanks

Sure, btw didn't mean anything bad back there.  Just, you know, didn't have a good experience with them myself is all.

May 12, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #4,354 of 5,364
Quote:
I think you're trying to describe the effects of sibilance - won't get into ear resonance or anything. So something not harsh. Since you have a variety of choices it'd probably do you better if you specified more in terms of actual sound preferences - it doesn't have to be filled with jargon, just try your best at describing whichever characteristic you enjoy while listening - as genres can be enjoyed with varying presentations so that makes specifying those slightly less helpful than specifying actual sound preferences.

Also heck no Explosions In the Sky isn't that watered down, it's still post-rock for the most part - how dare you refer to it as being ambient!
biggrin.gif

R1 - bass-mid heavy, can be a bit overbearing, transient response and very slow decay leads to perceived lack of speed and "muddled" sound. Also a tad bit dark.
R-30 - warm, pleasant, very nice soundstage width, mid-forward. Treble is pushed back but not terribly rolled off.
R-20 - punchy, tactile in a sense, warm, Ety-like upper mids (that is to say, emphasised).

HAH!  Yes I do suppose so.  But you got the idea none the less
tongue.gif
.  I'll rephrase it for you:  I like !!post rock!!, as well as ambient, and ambient/electronic. 
biggrin.gif

To answer your question I like warm, crisp and detailed sounding headphones.  I like to feel like I'm in an auditorium and hear the music like it's being played.  Have you ever been to a jazz performance or gone to see a symphony orchestra?  There's that detail and warmth and cleanliness to the sound... Never harsh, always inviting and smooth like relaxing in the sun or something...  I guess smooth, detailed, inviting, warmth that isn't muffled, but crisp... (That's right, smooth crispness) LOL.  Does that make sense?  I suppose I'll probably have to go up in price for that... lol.  IF, and that's a BIG IF, I could bump it up to $100, would that help me find what I was looking for?  Or should I just stay here at this price?  I'd really like to keep it within budget, but also don't want to throw away money that could otherwise have gone to decent gear.  You dig?

also:  U/V?

May 12, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #4,355 of 5,364
Can anyone recommend some good IEMs for exercising under $50? Comfort and fit are more important than sound (although sound quality is still important), and bright colors would be nice as well. I'm buying them for my girlfriend, so sound signature is less important.

May 12, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #4,356 of 5,364
Quote:

I'm certainly hoping that the UE600 will be what I want it to be, but don't know since the UE600 is not here yet. 
redface.gif
  I'd be happy to shoot over impressions when it comes in, but just know that the $50 sale price on the UE600 won't last forever.  In fact, it briefly went up last week because the one seller that was offering it at $50 ran out of stock (since replenished).

Nope, not yet.  Got a couple of reviewer buddies that might be getting samples though.  I hope to get an audition at T.H.E. Show in Newport later on this month though.

Hmm... 
blink.gif
  Well Amazon's got an excellent return policy so not worried.

You're making me really want to open them now...
biggrin.gif

Sure, btw didn't mean anything bad back there.  Just, you know, didn't have a good experience with them myself is all.

relax,haha, I was just in a hurry

May 12, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #4,357 of 5,364
Quote:
Can anyone recommend some good IEMs for exercising under $50? Comfort and fit are more important than sound (although sound quality is still important), and bright colors would be nice as well. I'm buying them for my girlfriend, so sound signature is less important.

If the exercising part is really important, my cousin has these things with the loop supports:

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-CK52W-Headphones-drivers-Support/dp/B002GYVZ0C/

Steeply V-shaped, pronounced highs, but otherwise not too bad.  If "ooh pretty" is more important:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-CKF500PGD-Headphones-Rhinestone/dp/B004M8PPF6/
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-CKF500LPK--Ear-Headphones-Rhinestone/dp/B0053OIS4I/

because, well, look at those things!

May 12, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #4,358 of 5,364
Quote:
Hmm, well keep in mind that despite the similar bass-mid cohesion, treble still has that grain and slight tinge on the Sonys. Also the remote is a bit more "plasticky" and thin compared to the X10s. 

Not trying to talk it down though, they have it beat in terms of lateral stage size, very expansive. Usually people haven't complained too much about defects, so give it a go, why not.

Just a side note, I have a similar growth, except that it grows outwards instead.

Comfort (in this case), durability, isolation - taking in the practical factors the Etys are a cinch. Better safe than sorry. But sound wise, they definitely aren't lush - that would go to the similarly shaped X10 - though the volume controls likely won't work on your S4 (if you read the quote above me though they've got it working fine otherwise), but the build thing he experienced is definitely something to consider. 

The Etys have a similar level of crispness, clarity, immediacy as does the HE-400, but the tonal balance is rather disparate as they have slightly elevated upper-mids as compared to the HE-400's shelf in that area. But considering the fit, you most likely will have to compromise on some areas in terms of sound - there simply aren't many IEM with a similar tonal balance as with the HiFiMANs. The UE900s are the closest I can think of but that's irrelevant to your situation.

Out of the lot, immediately the W4R or the UM3X can be singled out as being not particularly "neutral". Both are lush and forward in the mids, the W4s have an especially prominent bump in the midbass. The smaller nozzles on the Westones also lead to less isolation in general, at least when compared to the other choices. Separation is amazingly prominent within the role of the UM3X's presentation, and it is linear-ish for the most part though, so would still keep that in the running - the W4s - less so unless you're willing to add some extra resistance with an impedance adapter - brings the treble up for a tad bit more balance. 

The SE535s are a tad mid forward and rather linear, at least in the bass. But the lack of treble and basically a lack of attack during leading note transients give it a lesser sense of dynamics and technicalities - i.e. the separation and other technical qualities aren't as apparent off the bat.

No comment on the 4.Ai as the length of auditioning time was less than ideal, also I didn't care much for it as the UE900s were just next to it and it was much more attention-grabbing.

The UE900s - detailing is very evident (natural detailing and microdetail is around the same for the 5, but the 900s push out a bit more due to the clearer presentation - which also aids in separation and other technical aspects). Isolation is slightly better than the rest (apart from maybe the Shures) for me due to the nozzle size, although your results might differ. VERY linear, a slight dip in the upper mids, subbass has a slight bump (it smooths out and is basically flat to these ears - much like the HE-400 experience) and the treble has a tad bit of sparkle but remains smooth as well. Although the note presentation emphasizes clarity without being edgy or abrasive. Subjectively I also like these better for the genres you listed, but that would also vary from person to person.

I think you can guess by now which one I'm voting for 
wink.gif

Ouch, never experienced the bundling thing but then again, it's not like I owned them for a significant period of time - rather, I was a tad bit late on the M50 front. 

Rich bass, clean mids/treble, looks nice, under 200, more portable - I think I'll have to put my vote in for the M-80. 

I can't imagine something being over the ear but yet being of a similar size to the on-ear ESW9A. Not to mention something that would (presumably) have to sound good and isolate. Perhaps some clarification, compromise, etc?

Also genres are helpful, but in the long run we all value different presentations of different genres. Stating sound/signature preferences, specific characteristics you look for when listening to said genres, etc, would be vastly more helpful.

Any criteria sound-wise? Sound signature, genres, particular characteristics that you prioritize while listening to said genres? Not to mention build, comfort, size, isolation, etc (nothing white and easily stain-prone - got it)

biggrin.gif

sorry if Im screwing this up with how I'm quoting and replying. Im a noob not only here but to the high fi world and trying to figure things out. I just meant to quote you where you quoted me about the P5 replacements. anyway, I listen to primarily rap and electronica and their sub genres. so a lot of synthetics. a little bit of hard rock thrown in there once in a while too just because I appreciate hearing the details of the instruments. I like tight bass and sparkly highs but neither to draw away much from the mids. the replacements will probably be my "to go" headphones so I will most likely use them around others. In that sense I'd prefer a closed set with passive noise isolation. I'm not normally a fan of on ear but I did enjoy the P5's compactness. I'm not too good with describing but I'm looking for something that doesn't sound cheap, I can store in a case or pouch, and take with me outside of the office or home that doesn't have too squeezed of a sound stage. It may sound picky and I may not have many options but I figure in the price range that I spent on the P5, there has to be something else I'd enjoy as much. Primary source will be my iphone with fiio e17.

May 12, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #4,359 of 5,364
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #4,360 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

sorry if Im screwing this up with how I'm quoting and replying. Im a noob not only here but to the high fi world and trying to figure things out. I just meant to quote you where you quoted me about the P5 replacements. anyway, I listen to primarily rap and electronica and their sub genres. so a lot of synthetics. a little bit of hard rock thrown in there once in a while too just because I appreciate hearing the details of the instruments. I like tight bass and sparkly highs but neither to draw away much from the mids. the replacements will probably be my "to go" headphones so I will most likely use them around others. In that sense I'd prefer a closed set with passive noise isolation. I'm not normally a fan of on ear but I did enjoy the P5's compactness. I'm not too good with describing but I'm looking for something that doesn't sound cheap, I can store in a case or pouch, and take with me outside of the office or home that doesn't have too squeezed of a sound stage. It may sound picky and I may not have many options but I figure in the price range that I spent on the P5, there has to be something else I'd enjoy as much. Primary source will be my iphone with fiio e17.

So around $300, tight bass, separation, sparkle, not V/U-shaped, isolates, portable - the HD-25-1s are very much tight and the presentation aims towards sparkle and separation. Only qualm is that the form factor is as supraural as something can get - the clamp is tight, the pads aren't cushion-y and if you usually don't like on-ears you really won't like this one in terms of comfort. 

There's also the M-100s at this price - the cups are over-ear and large but the form factor is still extremely portable. Qualm with this one - mids are pulled back in comparison to the rest of the spectrum. Also note presentation gives less of an emphasis on technicalities and gives off a feel of less separation.

Quote:
tongue.gif
.  I'll rephrase it for you:  I like !!post rock!!, as well as ambient, and ambient/electronic. 
biggrin.gif

To answer your question I like warm, crisp and detailed sounding headphones.  I like to feel like I'm in an auditorium and hear the music like it's being played.  Have you ever been to a jazz performance or gone to see a symphony orchestra?  There's that detail and warmth and cleanliness to the sound... Never harsh, always inviting and smooth like relaxing in the sun or something...  I guess smooth, detailed, inviting, warmth that isn't muffled, but crisp... (That's right, smooth crispness) LOL.  Does that make sense?  I suppose I'll probably have to go up in price for that... lol.  IF, and that's a BIG IF, I could bump it up to $100, would that help me find what I was looking for?  Or should I just stay here at this price?  I'd really like to keep it within budget, but also don't want to throw away money that could otherwise have gone to decent gear.  You dig?

Warm, crisp, smooth, etc - well out of the lot would still aim for either the R-30 or the A151p then. Personally feel if you were to go all the way up to $100 that the RE-400s would offer better balancing and timbre, really does fit what you're describing in terms of sound. Think Warren can back me up on this.

May 12, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #4,361 of 5,364
Quote:
Warm, crisp, smooth, etc - well out of the lot would still aim for either the R-30 or the A151p then. Personally feel if you were to go all the way up to $100 that the RE-400s would offer better balancing and timbre, really does fit what you're describing in terms of sound. Think Warren can back me up on this.

Yes, without a doubt.  I think that if there was one take-home message regarding the RE-400, it would be this:

It might not do things better than every other IEM out there, but there is something profound to be said for not doing anything wrong.

May 12, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #4,362 of 5,364
Quote:
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

This thread should help you find ALMOST EXACTLY what you are looking for. It's how I found my IEMs
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-279-iems-compared-audio-technica-ckm500-added-05-01-13-p-678

May 13, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #4,363 of 5,364
Hey everyone, I made an account just to post this, I'm sorry if I sound inexperienced, but i'm really a noob to all of this. In the past I have owned the meelec m9s the meelec r1s, and I currently have the meelec m6s. I use the m6s for working out and wanted to buy 2 other pairs for better sound quality. I'm thinking of one pair for home use (Audio Technica ATH-m50s) and another pair for portable use on the go or on the bus, etc. The m6s are great but I think I can get better sound quality. Since i'm planning on getting the m50s, my budget is about $50 street price, so like 100 retail. I was thinking of the meelectronics a151 as I heard they have armature, but i'm not sure because I heard that they lack in bass. By the way I listen to mostly techno music, but also enjoy all other types of music. So I don't know if I should go with the a151s because they only have a single armature driver, or if I should go with some other ones. I would really like earbud because i need them to be portable, and somewhat durable, although I never plan to run with them. Please send me recommendations as I have practically 0 experience with these types of headphones. I am open to any headphones, and if it's really worth it, I could save up more money and go with some up to 75 street price. So should I get the a151s, even though they don't have that much bass, or should I go with some nice bassy headphones, if so, what headphones would yall recommend that have some nice bass? Thanks in advance.

May 13, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #4,364 of 5,364
I also made this account to ask for opinion same as the user above me but my problem is should I get Meelectronics A151, Sony XBA1 or Feels Pro 900. Currently somebody is offering them for almost the same price. I listen to pop songs and occasionally dabble in dupstep, do not use amp. 

All help is appreciated, Thanks

May 13, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #4,365 of 5,364
Quote:

He means that the signature features emphases on the bass and treble, while having recessed mids in relation to the bass and treble.  When graphed out, or plotted with a graphical EQ, this looks like a "U" or a "V" (as the mids are lower).  Also, a "U" is generally okay for certain types of music, and sounds kinda fun.  A "V" is nearly always bad, with Beats being a good example of what would be considered a badly "V-shaped" headphone.

Quote:
This thread should help you find ALMOST EXACTLY what you are looking for. It's how I found my IEMs
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-279-iems-compared-audio-technica-ckm500-added-05-01-13-p-678

Well as long as we're posting THOSE links...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-hifiman-re400-added-march-1st-2013

And for people looking for portable headphones:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12

Quotes:
By the way I listen to mostly techno music, but also enjoy all other types of music. So I don't know if I should go with the a151s because they only have a single armature driver, or if I should go with some other ones. I would really like earbud because i need them to be portable, and somewhat durable, although I never plan to run with them.

Originally Posted by xenon246 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also made this account to ask for opinion same as the user above me but my problem is should I get Meelectronics A151, Sony XBA1 or Feels Pro 900. Currently somebody is offering them for almost the same price. I listen to pop songs and occasionally dabble in dupstep, do not use amp.

Okay, since both of you need some bass, but don't necessarily want basshead IEMs, I'd have to go with the RHA MA350.  It's got some bass - and you'll never think that it's bass light - but it's also got respectable mids and decent highs, and even a bit of air at the top.  It's also fairly durable with a partially-aluminum housing, braided cables and larger-than-normal strain reliefs.  Plus, they come with a 3-year warranty.  I think the price is around $40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back