Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 12, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #4,321 of 5,364
Warren,
I am looked at those Senns you linked but they seem a bit too large for what I am looking for. I like over the ear like that but I think on ear might suite me better for commuting and such. Especially the hot summer in NYC. 

What is your opinion of something like the AKG Q460 ? Sennheiser PX200II or something similar style but better quality (and $). I guess I'm trying to go as portable as possible w/o using earbuds. 

I want as clear vocals as possible ( listening to something like this - http://youtu.be/YznLo_jjirk )

FYI, I really appreciate your responses and help thus far. 

May 12, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #4,322 of 5,364
Ima edit the request below a little bit.  Nothing bad intended, just wanted you to understand why we're all 
confused.gif

confused_face(1).gif

confused.gif

confused_face(1).gif

confused.gif

Quote:
What are heavy and tightly sealed sedans, that can run on regular gas?

My budget is less than $14,000.

Should be not heavy and not light, and the cabin should be clean and comfortable, and the vibrations should really rumble a lot, but not rumble on the outside.
Ventilation should be good and open.

should be regular gas so I don't need fancy fuel.

Heard Jetta Turbo Diesel is really good, 

Just really
confused.gif

confused_face(1).gif

confused.gif

confused_face(1).gif

confused.gif
, know what I mean?

May 12, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #4,323 of 5,364
Quote:

WELL THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!

I know exactly what the Q701 sounds like!  And if you're gonna be looking for closed cans that are truer sounding to that, then I can tell you about that thing that I said nevermind about earlier.  Here ya go:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/622696/review-the-sennheiser-hd-215-the-hd-205s-bigger-brother

Wait a minute. You mean to tell me there is actually a closed headphone with a true sound signature to that of the Q701? Do tell me more...
popcorn.gif

And how does it compare to the SRH840?

May 12, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #4,324 of 5,364
Quote:
Warren,
I am looked at those Senns you linked but they seem a bit too large for what I am looking for. I like over the ear like that but I think on ear might suite me better for commuting and such. Especially the hot summer in NYC. 

What is your opinion of something like the AKG Q460 ?

I want as clear vocals as possible ( listening to something like this - http://youtu.be/YznLo_jjirk )

Ooh, can comment on this - the Q460 and most on-ears in general will simply not have the airiness/openness you're aiming towards. Especially not the Q460. They are really nice and fun, but this they will not do.

Quote:
Ima edit the request below a little bit.  Nothing bad intended, just wanted you to understand why we're all 
confused.gif

confused_face(1).gif

confused.gif

confused_face(1).gif

confused.gif

Quote:
What are heavy and tightly sealed sedans, that can run on regular gas?

My budget is less than $14,000.

Should be not heavy and not light, and the cabin should be clean and comfortable, and the vibrations should really rumble a lot, but not rumble on the outside.
Ventilation should be good and open.

should be regular gas so I don't need fancy fuel.

Heard Jetta Turbo Diesel is really good, 

Just really
confused.gif

confused_face(1).gif

confused.gif

confused_face(1).gif

confused.gif
, know what I mean?

Now that actually sounds like one of those tiny cars clowns fit into as a parlor trick.

May 12, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #4,325 of 5,364
Quote:

I was advised by TwinQY to seek guidance here

Oh oh...  Hmm, okay.  I think that TwinQY would say the UE900.  I've never heard the UE900.  I'd like to *think* he's right because then it makes me want to get the UE900.  But I still can't say for sure for you.  However, I have heard the UE700 (which I have) and that fits a lot of your requirements, so I would say the UE700.  Even though I kinda really wanna say the UE900, but can't.  Know what I mean?  No, I don't do narcotics, why do you ask?

Quote:

Quote:
Hi Forum,

I was advised by TwinQY to seek guidance here instead of starting a new thread.

I'm looking to buy a new pair of IEMs after my Shure 530s gave out.

Ah, yep. Still standing by my answer on the original thread. UE900s are definitely worth the look.

Well son of a gun...

Quote:
Warren,

Yes but surely you can overlook size just this once right?  I mean, in every other way, they fit the bill.  It's like the best sneakers ever, just a size too big.  You'll trip a little, but still be pretty darned cool.  And it was so hard to get to this point.  I mean, brain cells died to get us here.  This journey had casualties.  Okay fine...

Oh BTW, the story of my life is "I've never heard it."  I just wanted to share that with you guys because

Quote:

What is your opinion of something like the AKG Q460 ?

I've never heard it.

Quote:

And how does it compare to the SRH840?

I've never heard it.

Quote:

:: sniff sniff :: mee too...
frown.gif

Quote:

I'm useless.

Quote:
Quote:
WELL THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!

I know exactly what the Q701 sounds like!  And if you're gonna be looking for closed cans that are truer sounding to that, then I can tell you about that thing that I said nevermind about earlier.  Here ya go:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/622696/review-the-sennheiser-hd-215-the-hd-205s-bigger-brother

Wait a minute. You mean to tell me there is actually a closed headphone with a true sound signature to that of the Q701? Do tell me more...
popcorn.gif

It's a little off, but it's close enough where (a) you don't have to go through that crazy adjustment period; and (b) you won't be like What is wrong with my iPod???  I'd say that it's like 92.147% of the way there.  Oh BTW, you know how the Q701 sounds BEFORE it's burned in?  I mean 92.147% of the way towards that.

Quote:
Now that actually sounds like one of those tiny cars clowns fit into as a parlor trick.

Which, coincidentally, also make little sense.

May 12, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #4,328 of 5,364
Quote:
how similar are those 215's to my 280's?

Holy wow, something I've heard!  Okay, keep in mind that the last time I heard the 280 was like over a year ago... so this might be a little off m'kay?

Take your 280's bass and make it so that it is really fast and tight, like almost twice as fast in terms of response.  Then bring the mids down about 10%~15%.  Then bump the highs up by about 30%.  Then increase the sound stage by about 25%.  Yeah, that sounds pretty close.  Okay there.

May 12, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #4,329 of 5,364
Quote:
     Quote:
Hmm, don't know then. 
frown.gif
  Don't know a thing about the entire XBA series, and unfortunately nothing I have fits that description I think.  Anyone out there wanna help with this?

Anyone able to suggest an upgrade to breaking Klipsch X10's around $200? even a bit more $ if necessary?

I saw warren quote this so I assumed he answered it already - should've read more carefully :p 
What was the original criteria?

Quote:
Holy wow, something I've heard!  Okay, keep in mind that the last time I heard the 280 was like over a year ago... so this might be a little off m'kay?

Take your 280's bass and make it so that it is really fast and tight, like almost twice as fast in terms of response.  Then bring the mids down about 10%~15%.  Then bump the highs up by about 30%.  Then increase the sound stage by about 25%.  Yeah, that sounds pretty close.  Okay there.

Does it still retain the messy treble of the HD280s? 

Oh no wait I've heard these. No the treble isn't messy. 

Quote:
Oh oh...  Hmm, okay.  I think that TwinQY would say the UE900.  I've never heard the UE900.  I'd like to *think* he's right because then it makes me want to get the UE900.  But I still can't say for sure for you.  However, I have heard the UE700 (which I have) and that fits a lot of your requirements, so I would say the UE700.  Even though I kinda really wanna say the UE900, but can't.  Know what I mean?  No, I don't do narcotics, why do you ask?

Well son of a gun...

Which, coincidentally, also make little sense.

I would expect you to expect me to expect you to expect me to say the W4s instead, tbh....ya know, since it's in my gear list and all...

Please, it makes perfect sense.

May 12, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #4,330 of 5,364
Quote:
I saw warren quote this so I assumed he answered it already - should've read more carefully :p 
What was the original criteria?

No worries :)

Just looking to replace my breaking X10i's and hoping to upgrade while i'm at it. Something that sounds similar bass-wise for rock music and hopefully mic and phone controls to run off a SGS3 unamped. Was considering the XBA-30ip's, have found a few other options that sound good like CNK70, RE-400, JVC FX700 but don't have the phone controls/mic. Looking so spend around $200, maybe up to $300 if it's worth it, thanks!

EDIT: really like the sound of the UE900's but way too over budget

May 12, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #4,331 of 5,364
Quote:
No worries :)

Just looking to replace my breaking X10i's and hoping to upgrade while i'm at it. Something that sounds similar bass-wise for rock music and hopefully mic and phone controls to run off a SGS3 unamped. Was considering the XBA-30ip's, have found a few other options that sound good like CNK70, RE-400, JVC FX700 but don't have the phone controls/mic. Looking so spend around $200, up to $300, thanks!

Are the X10s breaking in the usual places (i.e. the nozzles)? If it's the cable or otherwise, can't really say the XBA-30s would be that much better cable-wise (they are slightly better though). Not exactly an upgrade either, though the sound sig is similar, both retain that lushness and body, but the Sonys have a bit more treble presence up top and it's not as immensely smooth as with the X10s (but according to the current criteria, I guess that wouldn't mean much).

I'm also curious if you had full-on controls with the X10s as my friend has had a bit of trouble getting the controls apart from the play/pause or the mic itself to work - the XBA-30s wouldn't be much better in that regard as well. 

May 12, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #4,332 of 5,364
Quote:
Are the X10s breaking in the usual places (i.e. the nozzles)? If it's the cable or otherwise, can't really say the XBA-30s would be that much better cable-wise (they are slightly better though). Not exactly an upgrade either, though the sound sig is similar, both retain that lushness and body, but the Sonys have a bit more treble presence up top and it's not as immensely smooth as with the X10s (but according to the current criteria, I guess that wouldn't mean much).

I'm also curious if you had full-on controls with the X10s as my friend has had a bit of trouble getting the controls apart from the play/pause or the mic itself to work - the XBA-30s wouldn't be much better in that regard as well. 

The usual places yeah, the stress reliefs on the left are split almost all the way to the metal tube.

If they sound similar to the X10's i'd be happy, though the smoothness of these are great. If it wasn't such a widely known issue i'd just buy another pair.

Nah, volume control doesn't work, however pause/play, double-click for next track and triple click for previous work great with Poweramp!

May 12, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #4,333 of 5,364
Hi, I'm looking for a new pair of IEM's for around 150 euros ~ 150 dollars (since the price in dollars and price in euro's are usually the same, even though the dollar is worth less)

I need help looking for a pair that will fit my ears, since I have a weird right-ear. My right ear has a lump of flesh that a normal person does not have.

I started looking for IEM's such as Shure 215's and Sony XBA's, Sennheiser etc.. and what struck me was the housing of IEM's. The housings are 'big'. This got me worried since I have a piece of flesh on my right-ear, that'll get in the way of said Shure 215 (guessing from the size of these things). So I really am wondering if those kind of things can fit my right ear.

E.G. this guy with the Sony XBA's, I think the housing wont fit into my right-ear:
http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2011/mpa/62211572/xba_worn_600x300.jpg

I then looked for Etymotic HF5's and though it seems like they can most likely fit my ear, I still am looking for help from others. In case I miss something.

I used to have a pair of Sunrise SW-Xcape IE, but they hurt my ears. They were a little bit loose and if I wanted to insert them deeper into my ear canal, the housing touched my ears and caused stress around it. I can insert a pair of earplugs about 1.5cm into my ears. The IEM's that samsung provides with their smartphone, the white one with volume control, shipped default with GS3 and GS4 and most likely other mobile phone models from samsung, fit me. Though the flanges are a little too small. It's still a little bit loose with the biggest flanges.
My sister has sennheiser CX300's and I like to insert them very deep into my ear. My preference is most likely deep-insertion, so Etymotic's seem interesting.

These should also be durable since I will most likely store them in my jacket (in a separate section) and use these when I don't have my headphones with me. I used to have a pair of cheap ass sony IEM's and they lasted about 4 years before finally breaking, the housing broke. So I guess I'm quite careful for my IEM's. But still, durability is important.

What I'm looking for in the IEM's are:
-Comfort
-Durability (big key, since I will store them in my jacket)
-Isolation

Source: samsung galaxy S4
Sound wise, a resemblance to the HE400 and HD25 are preferred with the lush mids of the MDR-1R :p
Volume controls are nice, but not a requirement.

I currently have a hifiman HE-400, sennheiser HD 25 1-II, Sony MDR-1R. (And an ipod classic with e07k, but I will most likely not use the IEM's with the ipod setup)

May 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #4,334 of 5,364
Hello forum!
Im thinking of getting a new UIEM in the range of $400-500. I mainly listen to indie songs and occasionally rock and high bass songs.
I look for detail,isolation,instrument separation and most importantly how neutral it is.
I have been looking all over the internet and have narrowed my choices to:
  1. Westone 4R
  2. Westone UM3x
  3. Ue900
  4. SE535
  5. Heir 4.Ai

If there's anything else i should try out please let me know :D. Thank you so much in advance for the advice :).

May 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #4,335 of 5,364
hey guys, im new and i need some serious help. I purchased some ath-m50 since everyone talked so highly of them but i found that they crackle a bit, the headband material bundles up and creates lumps when worn, and that these are very awkward to wear in public. I am looking to return them and purchase new headphones that have a similar sound quality of rich bass without distortion of mids and highs. These headphones should be under $200 and be portable. The looks are somewhat important, i just don't want really ugly headphones. I listen to hip-hop, rap, and alternative and i'm not looking to buy an amp. I do not want in ear models either. Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back