Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 12, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #4,306 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, that too.  Just because you tend to listen to stuff without a lot of treble, on IEMs without pronounced highs... ergo, dude prob doesn't rock out with his treble out.

I'm into the slightly more distorted area of dubstep though, rather than the bass-focused dubstep. Sort of like this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWbaHcILGJ8 Would you say that those sorts of songs have more treble?

A bit overbearing up top to these ears, sorry Warren :frowning2:

May 12, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #4,307 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, that too.  Just because you tend to listen to stuff without a lot of treble, on IEMs without pronounced highs... ergo, dude prob doesn't rock out with his treble out.

I'm into the slightly more distorted area of dubstep though, rather than the bass-focused dubstep. Sort of like this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWbaHcILGJ8 Would you say that those sorts of songs have more treble?

A bit overbearing up top to these ears, sorry Warren :frowning2:

Yeah it's cool, but luckily the the Tai Chis roll off up top.  Just had a listen with them.  duffany1, you'll like the Tai Chis.

May 12, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #4,308 of 5,364
I think I am going to go with the AKG Q701's for new at home cans. Hopefully they are better than my Sennheiser HD485 (and I say hopefully better due to price).  

Still need to find some closed portables that are true sounding w/o too much overwhelming bass. 

May 12, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #4,309 of 5,364
What are the bass heavy over the head portable headphones , that is enough to be driven from a phone or ipod ?

My budget is less than $150.
- Should be neutral, and vocals should be clear and low's should have generous amount of sub-bass, while it should not bleed out.
Soundstage should be wide,and spacious.

lower impedance to drive it without an amp.

Heard jvc ha-s500 is really good, 

May 12, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #4,310 of 5,364
Quote:
What are the bass heavy over the head portable headphones , that is enough to be driven from a phone or ipod ?

My budget is less than $150.
- Should be neutral, and vocals should be clear and low's should have generous amount of sub-bass, while it should not bleed out.
Soundstage should be wide,and spacious.

lower impedance to drive it without an amp.

Heard jvc ha-s500 is really good, 

"Bass heavy" "Should be neutral" - that really doesn't seem to make sense from this end - are you referring to a specific area where you're wanting neutrality?

May 12, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #4,311 of 5,364
Quote:
"Bass heavy" "Should be neutral" - that really doesn't seem to make sense from this end - are you referring to a specific area where you're wanting neutrality?

I think he may be asking for bit too much from a $150 can. I would say pick the SRH840, but the soundstage won't be wide enough for him nor will it be "bassy" enough.

May 12, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #4,312 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

I think he may be asking for bit too much from a $150 can. I would say pick the SRH840, but the soundstage won't be wide enough for him nor will it be "bassy" enough.

TBH I'm still not sure on what he's asking sound-wise...although if you take out the "neutrality" portion, you'd get the LP2s to an extent, and if you took out the "bass-heavy" portion, you'd get the FA-003s to an extent.

May 12, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #4,313 of 5,364
Quote:
TBH I'm still not sure on what he's asking sound-wise...although if you take out the "neutrality" portion, you'd get the LP2s to an extent, and if you took out the "bass-heavy" portion, you'd get the FA-003s to an extent.

Which is my point exactly. At that price range something is going to have to be sacrificed out of all that he is asking for.

May 12, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #4,314 of 5,364
Quote:

Well, of course It can't be neutral throughout the area, except from the bass department, It shall be somewhat balanced throughout the region,
From lower mids to high, shall be dynamic and clean and crystal clear, and treble should be edgy and sparkle out few sonic cues.a 
To sum it up, I guess I need a bright sounding signature, with good sub - bass while not affecting other areas with the bass as a whole.
Maybe Sony's xb60ex's soung signature on a headphone,  

May 12, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #4,315 of 5,364
Quote:
Well, of course It can't be neutral throughout the area, except from the bass department, It shall be somewhat balanced throughout the region,
From lower mids to high, shall be dynamic and clean and crystal clear, and treble should be edgy and sparkle out few sonic cues.a 
To sum it up, I guess I need a bright sounding signature, with good sub - bass while not affecting other areas with the bass as a whole.
Maybe Sony's xb60ex's soung signature on a headphone,  

Then your best bet would be the SRH840. The soundstage will not be that wide, though... so be aware.

May 12, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #4,317 of 5,364
Quote:
I think I am going to go with the AKG Q701's for new at home cans. Hopefully they are better than my Sennheiser HD485 (and I say hopefully better due to price).  

Still need to find some closed portables that are true sounding w/o too much overwhelming bass. 

WELL THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!

I know exactly what the Q701 sounds like!  And if you're gonna be looking for closed cans that are truer sounding to that, then I can tell you about that thing that I said nevermind about earlier.  Here ya go:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/622696/review-the-sennheiser-hd-215-the-hd-205s-bigger-brother

May 12, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #4,318 of 5,364
Quote:
Then, at what price point, Can I get a headphone with those criteria , inclusive of the wide soundstage ?

I still have yet to find a headphone to meet all that criteria, which is why I own 3 different kinds (Open: Q701, Closed: SRH840, IEM: GR07). Then again, I haven't spent more than $235 on a set of cans (Q701) so take that with a grain of salt.

My guess would be the $300 range (Mr Speaker's Mad Dogs, Ultrasone Pro 900)

May 12, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #4,319 of 5,364
Hi Forum,

I was advised by TwinQY to seek guidance here instead of starting a new thread.

I'm looking to buy a new pair of IEMs after my Shure 530s gave out.

My first 530s cables cracked, exposing the copper wire underneath, and my (freely replaced) second pair is starting to break too (the  right earpiece cuts in and out). Unfortunately, I'm past the 2-year warranty period, and Shure in Hong Kong (where I live) is only offering a 20% discount on the 535s.

So, I'm trying to pick my next IEMs. I listen to 90% classical music (solo piano, solo strings, orchestral & chamber works, not much voice), and the rest is a mixture of everything. I'll be using them with my iPhone 5 (music ripped lossless) with no amp. As HK is a pretty noisy city, noise isolation is a consideration. Also, perhaps they should be sturdier than the 530s.

Given those points, which IEMs would you recommend? Should I just buy the 535s? How about UE 900? Westone 4? Something else? 

May 12, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #4,320 of 5,364
Quote:
Then, at what price point, Can I get a headphone with those criteria , inclusive of the wide soundstage ?

I'm going to say you probably can't. I can think of a couple of IEMs and open-backs, but just nothing comes to mind for closed-backs. The Mad Dogs might look interesting but I haven't heard them so can't comment. The M100s, without the treble sparkle has the staging down for sure, but that's just going ridiculous with the budget. Gonna have to lean on Warren for this one. Better not pull a Zardak on me though!

Quote:
Hi Forum,

I was advised by TwinQY to seek guidance here instead of starting a new thread.

I'm looking to buy a new pair of IEMs after my Shure 530s gave out.

My first 530s cables cracked, exposing the copper wire underneath, and my (freely replaced) second pair is starting to break too (the  right earpiece cuts in and out). Unfortunately, I'm past the 2-year warranty period, and Shure in Hong Kong (where I live) is only offering a 20% discount on the 535s.

So, I'm trying to pick my next IEMs. I listen to 90% classical music (solo piano, solo strings, orchestral & chamber works, not much voice), and the rest is a mixture of everything. I'll be using them with my iPhone 5 (music ripped lossless) with no amp. As HK is a pretty noisy city, noise isolation is a consideration. Also, perhaps they should be sturdier than the 530s.

Given those points, which IEMs would you recommend? Should I just buy the 535s? How about UE 900? Westone 4? Something else? 

Ah, yep. Still standing by my answer on the original thread. UE900s are definitely worth the look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back