Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #4,232 of 5,364
Quote:

LOL! 
biggrin.gif
  That's what HiFiGuy528 keeps telling me.  I take it you like them?

May 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #4,233 of 5,364
Bad experience on the whole with the xb60ex. Bear in mind this is my opinion. They sound fine with dubstep, trap, and slow dub, but if you listen to a wide range of music especially experimental stuff you can overlook these. If you enjoy these then move along, nothing to see here.

Sibilance! I've listened and read enough to realize that the sibilance issue isn't going to go away soon. Vocals, strings, and wind instruments are unbearable. The mids are far too recessed to give any impression of a lush sound. The bass is big and separate from the rest of the frequency range, but it doesn't reach down into the lowest octaves so that some electronic music sounds hollow. I will be returning these and continuing my search 
rolleyes.gif

So for now can anyone recommend an iem that doesn't suffer from any sibilance with a slight bass emphasis? On my short list are:

tdk ie800
re-400
xb90ex hifiguy informed me they wouldn't fare so well as all-rounders
se215
v-pulse

edit: ammended list

May 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #4,234 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi all.  My Klipsch S4s just died on me (the cable, of course), so it is time to find new headphones.  I generally liked the S4s, but they were my first pair of decent headphones, and I am not opposed to finding something I might like even more. 

Price range: $100 or under, but I am willing to pay up to $200 if the sound is significantly better enough to justify it. 

Music listened to:  All sorts, except very little clasical, jazz, or country.  Mostly current or 90's rock, industrial, darkwave, and complex techno.  My ideal headphones would bring out the complexity and sometimes musical brutality of Nine Inch Nails, the intense emotion of Flyleaf's vocals, the bright and clear sound of Yellowcard's fiddle (without smothering the beats), any slamming guitar riffs, and still rattle my eardrums a bit with punchy bass lines.  With techno they could manage clear (sparkly?) highs and mids, and still hit me with the beat.  Maybe too much to ask...?

Device: Cowon X7

Activity:  Walking and riding the bus, nothing terribly athletic or jostling.  

What did I like about the S4s?  The bass was not bad, though there were times when I wanted more, but I suspect that was thanks to the fit in my ears.  I generally just loved the sound quality, but I don't have the right words to describe it. 

What didn't I like?  There were times when the mid range was kinda muffled, vocals got a bit burried and the fiddle in Yellowcard (for example) wound up kind of in the background of the music.  That said, I think this was likely due to my inability to tweak the equalizer exactly right, and any advice anyone can prvide for that would be great as well. 

I think that covers it.  Any recomendations are appreciated.  Thank You!!!

I just got the RE-400 and I really like the sound.  I would look into those.  $100 and in stock with really quick shipping from these guys.  Not much in the way of included accessories, but are very comfy and sound great!

http://www.soundearphones.com/products/hifiman-re-400-in-ear-monitor-earphones

May 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #4,235 of 5,364
Quote:
Sibilance!

eek.gif
  That sounds bad!  Regardless of whether you like any other part of the signature, I'd suggest a return/exchange as that just doesn't sound right.

Quote:
So for now can anyone recommend an iem that doesn't suffer from any sibilance with a slight bass emphasis? On my short list are:

re-400

While I like these and think they'd be great, I'm really not sure that they have the bass emphasis you would want.  If you'd be cool being flexible on that point, yeah definitely give these a try.  Endgame or not, I think you'd like 'em.

May 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #4,236 of 5,364
While it's true they are not bass heavy, they certainly don't lack bass, and the bass boost of my BH would qualify them as having more than a "slight bass emphasis" at least compared to other hifiman IEM offerings.  If they are on your short list, I would get them.  They sound so good, and if you do think they don't have the bass you want, they will be really easy to sell at not much loss.  

Try the link I posted, I got them in 2 days, I think you'll be happy.

May 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #4,237 of 5,364
I am loking for a good portable headphone that isolates the maximum and leaks the minimum, and my price range is up until 50 dollars,I have been looking at the shl 9500,are they the best I can get following the above description?

May 10, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #4,238 of 5,364
Quote:
While it's true they are not bass heavy, they certainly don't lack bass, and the bass boost of my BH would qualify them as having more than a "slight bass emphasis" at least compared to other hifiman IEM offerings.  If they are on your short list, I would get them.  They sound so good, and if you do think they don't have the bass you want, they will be really easy to sell at not much loss.  

I concur.  You should get them - and hopefully keep them - in your collection.  Just saying, don't judge them on bass out of the box. 
smile.gif

May 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #4,239 of 5,364
I posted here a little while ago asking for suggestions. I've decided that I want loud, bassy headphones like the AKG K 518, but don't want to spend more than $35. I was going to buy the AKG's but the like-new ones "sold by Amazon" on Amazon (I have an Amazon gift card which I want to use to pay for the phones) were sold by the time I decided. So...any other suggestions? I would like headphones similar to the AKGs or like the Beats (bassy and loud). I like the Panasonic HTF600-S that I have but I need a pair of portable ones. Thank you!

May 10, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #4,240 of 5,364
I currently have a pair of Etymotic HF-5, and I use the gray triple-flange ear-tips. I love the sound of them, but my ear canals are getting sore, after a few hours of use every work day for two years. So, I'm looking for an over-the-ear headphone I can listen to at work until my ears heal. Being short-term I don't want to spend too much (<$35 if possible), but I have gotten a bit addicted to smooth midrange.

May 10, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #4,241 of 5,364
Quote:
I posted here a little while ago asking for suggestions. I've decided that I want loud, bassy headphones like the AKG K 518, but don't want to spend more than $35. I was going to buy the AKG's but the like-new ones "sold by Amazon" on Amazon (I have an Amazon gift card which I want to use to pay for the phones) were sold by the time I decided. So...any other suggestions? I would like headphones similar to the AKGs or like the Beats (bassy and loud). I like the Panasonic HTF600-S that I have but I need a pair of portable ones. Thank you!

Well then today is your lucky day.  The AKG K81DJ (which is more or less the same thing as the K 518 LE) is on sale for only $38 brand new at Amazon! 
smile.gif
  Now aren't you glad you posted here?

May 10, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #4,242 of 5,364
Quote:

Grook, I've never heard the X10 so take this as a suggestion with a big chunk of salt.

I just picked up an Ultimate Ears 600 (UE600) on Amazon for $50.  It doesn't seem to graph as bassily as your X10

But then again if you're looking at the XBA-3, bass probably isn't the first thing on your priority list.  If you want the version with the iDevice controls (UE600vi), it's only $15 more at $65.  Just a thought.  If you're not in a rush, I can post impressions of the UE600 as soon as it arrives.

Thanks for the advice but i've had the older version of these, the Super-fi 5 before, and while the sounded really good, the fit was no good for my ears.

I'd like something at least as bassy as the X10's, basically after a great universal IEM around $200 that is comfortable. Thinking the XBA-30's might be too big coming from the X10...

May 10, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #4,243 of 5,364
I am looking to get a better kit together for listening at work.
I am going to try and detail things the best that I can.

Source: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 -Wolfson DAC (Rooted - Voodoo sound enabled)
  • Pandora
  • Rdio (might switch back to Spotify)
  • FLAC and AAC

Equipment used ( * marks no longer use):
  • Digizoid ZO2 (Recent purchase, love this thing!)
  • * Fiio E6 (Not bad, always sounded overprocessed to me)
  • Phillips SHE3582 (Amazing for the price)
  • Sony MDR-210EX (I switch between these and the SHE3582)
  • * Klipsch S4i (The sound in these were really great, build quality... eh)
  • Home use - Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm (Just to list them)

Music:
  • Classic Rock (Pink Floyd, The Who, Rush)
  • 80's Alternative (The Cure, Depeche Mode, etc)
  • Dubstep/Drum and Bass
  • General Eclectic (TMBG, Adele, Fleetwood Mac)

My current price range is $600, this would be for phones and possibly different amplification. (if the experts point me in that direction).

I can be a basshead at times, but I also carry 2-3 sets of headphones with me to satisfy my craving for whatever music I am listening too.

I will primarily be in the office and listening for 6-8 hours a day. So comfort is a factor.
I am not a huge fan of, I don't know what to call it, cord around the ear style earbuds. The only pair that I had (can't remember the brand) had very thick cable and I had to cinch the headphone slider tight (looked like I was wearing a bolo tie). Hated that.

Oh great sages of the Church of Earphonics, please hear my cry!

May 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #4,244 of 5,364
Quote:

Quote:

Well then today is your lucky day.  The AKG K81DJ (which is more or less the same thing as the K 518 LE) is on sale for only $38 brand new at Amazon! 
smile.gif
  Now aren't you glad you posted here?

Oh wow, thanks! Are there any other headphones you would recommend before I go with the AKG K81DJs? How are the JVC [size=small]HA-S4X (Extreme Explosion on ears) and the Monoprice 8283 in terms of bass, clarity, and sound stage? Thank you for your help![/size]

May 10, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #4,245 of 5,364
Hello all. I am in the market for some on ear headphones with a neutral balanced sound. To give people an idea of what I like, these are my current headphones/IEMs and love them all; AKG Q701, Shure SRH840, and VSonic GR07.

Any help would be highly appreciated. Also, I would prefer them to have a detachable cable. Thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back