Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 10, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #4,217 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi,

My iPhone earphones broke the other day

Hallelujah!  The heavens be praised!!!

Quote:
I wanted something with a bit of colour and came across BassBuds

Please don't, you're going to make the unicorns weep.  Okay wait, I shouldn't say that because I haven't heard them yet, but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in my experience would suggest that they are any good at all.

May 10, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #4,218 of 5,364
Warm, but with good technicalities AD900X-like - in that case the XBA-4 would have the more similar tonality out of the two. Neither are really as mid-forward as the rest of your rigs. Have you ever looked at the XBA-3? I have a hunch that you might prefer the signature on those a tad bit more.

Thanks for your help :)

May 10, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #4,219 of 5,364
confused.gif

May 10, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #4,220 of 5,364
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend bluetooth wireless earphones ideally that fit like my shure se315's with the Sound Isolating foam as find its the only thing that fits my ear well and is comfortable.

Edit: Like [size=1.2em]Jabra Sport Bluetooth headset but with the shure style tips and foam.[/size]

[size=1.2em]Any help would be appreciated as been looking for ages to find some.[/size]

[size=1.2em]Cheers,[/size]
[size=1.2em]Joe[/size]

May 10, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #4,221 of 5,364
Hi all.  My Klipsch S4s just died on me (the cable, of course), so it is time to find new headphones.  I generally liked the S4s, but they were my first pair of decent headphones, and I am not opposed to finding something I might like even more. 

Price range: $100 or under, but I am willing to pay up to $200 if the sound is significantly better enough to justify it. 

Music listened to:  All sorts, except very little clasical, jazz, or country.  Mostly current or 90's rock, industrial, darkwave, and complex techno.  My ideal headphones would bring out the complexity and sometimes musical brutality of Nine Inch Nails, the intense emotion of Flyleaf's vocals, the bright and clear sound of Yellowcard's fiddle (without smothering the beats), any slamming guitar riffs, and still rattle my eardrums a bit with punchy bass lines.  With techno they could manage clear (sparkly?) highs and mids, and still hit me with the beat.  Maybe too much to ask...?

Device: Cowon X7

Activity:  Walking and riding the bus, nothing terribly athletic or jostling.  

What did I like about the S4s?  The bass was not bad, though there were times when I wanted more, but I suspect that was thanks to the fit in my ears.  I generally just loved the sound quality, but I don't have the right words to describe it. 

What didn't I like?  There were times when the mid range was kinda muffled, vocals got a bit burried and the fiddle in Yellowcard (for example) wound up kind of in the background of the music.  That said, I think this was likely due to my inability to tweak the equalizer exactly right, and any advice anyone can prvide for that would be great as well. 

I think that covers it.  Any recomendations are appreciated.  Thank You!!!

May 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #4,222 of 5,364
Hi, any suggestion for gym IEMs with strong cable, cheap (<$25), that don't fall off and with a mid-centric sound or neutral?
I hear about the melec m6/m11 perfect for this but I don't like the sound signature?

I used the e30 but it broke, due to the thin cable!

May 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #4,223 of 5,364
Hi guys,

I've had the Klipsch X10i's for going on 2 years and they're starting to fall apart at the wire covers, just wondering what some suitable replacements would be. After something similar sounding and in a similar price-range, just with hopefully better build quality.

I'm considering the Sony XBA-3's which are currently available for $97 delivered which seems like a bargain, but thinking the XBA-40IP's might be a fair bit better with the mic and controls, but over double the price at $235. They will be sourced by a Galaxy S3 and hoping not to use an amp so thinking the XBA-40's might be out then? How about the XBA-30ip?

Any other suggestions around the $100-200 mark for IEM's I should consider? listen to mostly rock/punk/metal, Thanks

May 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #4,224 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi, any suggestion for gym IEMs with strong cable, cheap (<$25), that don't fall off and with a mid-centric sound or neutral?
I hear about the melec m6/m11 perfect for this but I don't like the sound signature?

I used the e30 but it broke, due to the thin cable!

Hey sandro, yeah I actually have the perfect model in mind... but it's definitely NOT cheap.  It's called the Dunu Tai Chi, and the thing is as tough as nails (especially the cable) + has some of the best ear guides I've ever used + let's you tune it's signature.  Only problem is, it's like 5.5 times your budget.  On the bright side though, you shouldn't have to replace it for quite some time.

May 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #4,225 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys,

I've had the Klipsch X10i's for going on 2 years and they're starting to fall apart at the wire covers, just wondering what some suitable replacements would be. After something similar sounding and in a similar price-range, just with hopefully better build quality.

I'm considering the Sony XBA-3's which are currently available for $97 delivered which seems like a bargain, but thinking the XBA-40IP's might be a fair bit better with the mic and controls, but over double the price at $235. They will be sourced by a Galaxy S3 and hoping not to use an amp so thinking the XBA-40's might be out then? How about the XBA-30ip?

Any other suggestions around the $100-200 mark for IEM's I should consider? listen to mostly rock/punk/metal, Thanks

Grook, I've never heard the X10 so take this as a suggestion with a big chunk of salt.

I just picked up an Ultimate Ears 600 (UE600) on Amazon for $50.  It doesn't seem to graph as bassily as your X10

But then again if you're looking at the XBA-3, bass probably isn't the first thing on your priority list.  If you want the version with the iDevice controls (UE600vi), it's only $15 more at $65.  Just a thought.  If you're not in a rush, I can post impressions of the UE600 as soon as it arrives.

May 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #4,226 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
What advantage does a custom IEM have over a universal one except for the fit and colour customisation?

That's a pretty big deal actually...  better fit also results in increased comfort (usually) and supreme isolation (scary, watch for traffic). 
smile.gif

Hm mmk. Maybe I'll re-consider customs then.

I'm not Shure what to get anymore for [c]IEMs. I'll ask my brother to bring home the SE215 and see how much I really like it.

Do you have any suggestions for a midrange-focused earphone that has a pretty balanced sound to it? Shure's earphones tend to have a warm tilt.

Psh, I forgot about the price. Right now I'm just kind of gauging what brands or models to consider, so I don't have a clear-cut price yet. Less than $1200 USD I suppose...I really don't know anything about earphones nor CIEMS.

May 10, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #4,228 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What advantage does a custom IEM have over a universal one except for the fit and colour customisation?

That's a pretty big deal actually...  better fit also results in increased comfort (usually) and supreme isolation (scary, watch for traffic). 
smile.gif

Psh, I forgot about the price. Right now I'm just kind of gauging what brands or models to consider, so I don't have a clear-cut price yet. Less than $1200 USD I suppose...I really don't know anything about earphones nor CIEMS.

Then you are definitely going to want to peruse this:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed 
smile.gif

May 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #4,229 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

smile.gif

Then you are definitely going to want to peruse this:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed 
smile.gif

Yup, I saw that and I was considering the Unique Melody Miracle. I would consider the JH13PRO but I'm not too into another V-shaped headphone/earphone. The FreqPhase technology looks interesting but I don't know how much of a difference in sound quality it would make.

Do you have any suggestions for a universal IEM? Perhaps I'll go for one of those first and then switch or get a re-shelled CIEM later down the road.

May 10, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #4,230 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

smile.gif

Yup, I saw that and I was considering the Unique Melody Miracle. I would consider the JH13PRO but I'm not too into another V-shaped headphone/earphone. The FreqPhase technology looks interesting but I don't know how much of a difference in sound quality it would make.

Do you have any suggestions for a universal IEM? Perhaps I'll go for one of those first and then switch or get a re-shelled CIEM later down the road.

My favorite balanced universal happens to be the UE700 (with the Grado GR8 being a close second).  I find the UE700 exceeding balanced, with just a tad of brightness at the top.  And I think that the quality of the UE700's bass (in terms of speed and texture) are phenomenal.

Having said that, I would really like to try a UE900 as people have told me it will blow my mind.  And my dream universal is a pricey mamma jamma called a Tralucent Audio 1plus2.  Of course, I haven't heard either of those last two yet.  So outside of my desire for them, I can't say much.

Of my two favorites, the UE700 holds the crown in overall signature, but I'd suggest the Grado GR8 if you're looking for something a tad more mid-centric.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back